IGNORED

playtest Pet Frogger work in progress

kenjennings

Hi lo. Would someone with real equipment like to playtest something for me? My Ataris are at the bottom of the keep the wife or keep the Atari closet.

Run the Frogger03.xex.

Let me know if the Title and Game displays are stable on real hardware, and no goofy flickering or dancing DLIs. It seems to be working OK on Atari800 and Altirra emulators.

The game is only set for one life to make it faster to trigger the game over display.
Yes, I know the graphic on the Game Over display is incomplete. Yes, the sound is very lame.

Thanks.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, kenjennings said:
Hi lo. Would someone with real equipment like to playtest something for me? My Ataris are at the bottom of the keep the wife or keep the Atari closet.

Run the Frogger03.xex.

Let me know if the Title and Game displays are stable on real hardware, and no goofy flickering or dancing DLIs. It seems to be working OK on Atari800 and Altirra emulators.

The game is only set for one life to make it faster to trigger the game over display.
Yes, I know the graphic on the Game Over display is incomplete. Yes, the sound is very lame.

Thanks.

WOW!!!

What a f-great little piece of work!!! 

I looked at it yesterday night, and then did a little research on the original title... Boy! Your current version renders the original CBM title a joke!

What a GREAT use of color, sprites and animation you made, here! Looks REALLY nice on NTSC! Overall, your color scheme of choice explodes with vibrancy and vividness on my end, in a way that cannot be faithfully captured with my iPad camera / color-space. The samples below look BAD compared to how GOOD they really looked to the naked eye.

KUDOS, and BRING IT ON !!!

09131E35-8EBD-48B0-839B-D290700E9515.jpeg

09DB8ADC-878F-4E0A-B96E-1CED16E256CA.jpeg

Edited by Faicuai

18 hours ago, Philsan said:

800XL PAL with U1MB (64KB and 320KB) and double Pokey.

Loaded from SIO2PC-USB or AVG Cart.

No problems at all.

THANKS!

Weeeell.  Learned something new...   Between Altirra, Atari800, and PAL equipment out of the five possible blues looks like there's only two that do appear as blue for everyone.  huh.   Shame.  I was rather attached to Aqua.

Also, I forgot I was using artifact colors to make green labels for the score lines.   (Residue left over from Version 2 of the game based on ANTIC text mode 2.)   Now that I think about it the way I set up the characters I should be using ANTIC text mode 4 for those lines, too, and get the color result I was looking for.   (Derp.  Head slap.)

THANKS AGAIN!

11 hours ago, Faicuai said:

WOW!!!

What a f-great little piece of work!!! 

I looked at it yesterday night, and then did a little research on the original title... Boy! Your current version renders the original CBM title a joke!

What a GREAT use of color, sprites and animation you made, here! Looks REALLY nice on NTSC! Overall, your color scheme of choice explodes with vibrancy and vividness on my end, in a way that cannot be faithfully captured with my iPad camera / color-space. The samples below look BAD compared to how GOOD they really looked to the naked eye.

KUDOS, and BRING IT ON !!!

You're far too generous with your praise.   Thanks.   

There is only one lousy sprite in the game.

I don't think it will get much better than it is right now in the sound department.  I'm not much for programming audio.

The original game was written in 1983 for the CBM Pet  by someone in high school with not a lot of programming experience and he did an altogether stand up job on it considering the limitations. 

• 5 months later...

Played on 130XE PAL, screen glitches on the text screens e.g. Game Over, Dead Frog etc, display list size? Upwards movement too quick - too easy to hop off, would like to see it hop horizontally and become a full game of course ;)

Playing this and other games from 2019 in the High Score Club: R20 Season Catch-Up and 2019 Games Bonus

:)

• 1 month later...

Just about done with V3.   Cut out a number of the ridiculously fast speed levels, so it is playable by mere humans with retired old people reflexes.  

Last thing I'm working on it some weird screen flash when the frog reaches the safe beach at the top of the screen. 

It doesn't crash, and it doesn't do the glitch every time.   But I need to find it  for OCD reasons.

It's a pretty game but gets boring quickly.  Gameplay is intentionally limited to the scope of the original Pet game on purpose.   If I feel motivated to continue on to V4  that will add new things not done in the prior versions  -- other hazards, more animated things, etc.

• Like 5