IGNORED

Leaving FB permanently

rcamp48

I’ve moved FB into a folder on my phone and disabled notifications. It’s fun to go back to see my old friends once in a while, but I’m not playing the “maximum engagement” game that the FB company wants me to play. It’s just another info/distraction source. And if anyone bugs me? Poof, muted. No big deal. Avoid high drama groups and individuals who don’t fill my bucket. 

If I were to quit, I’d break my logins to the silly Korean RPGs I tend to favor. 

33 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

...just remember there's some odd people out there (yup, worse than me) so tread with care :)

There are odd people in the world, people use the Internet, Facebook is a site on the Internet, therefore there are odd people on Facebook. :) The fact that users can apparently find this surprising or objectionable some twenty-five years after the Internet first saw common public use is surprising in itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

True......

Sometimes odd is fun but some take it to another level....Mind you there's also a very paranoid set of folks on FB (etc) as well, was chatting to an emu author on Discord and saw he was talking about the weather and politely asked where he was in the world. It was met with a set of replies like, "why do you want to know", "I'm not telling you where I am" etc etc

I just said "calm down, I'm just curious about the weather you were talking about, its not something we get in the UK" and then he relaxed a load and said, "sorry you get a lot of weird people on here" to which I laughed because its true but I wasn't that person :)

Now he's ok about a chat and a good dev but boy, is he worried about too many things :)

Well the weather is really good here in Canada, it is sunny a beautiful day, our light rail trains are starting today to run for the first time in a few hours, I am feeling a lot better now than I was yesterday morning so it is time to get back to writing tutorials on things I know, such as reinstalling Reseqt, I just put a new 1 TB high quality drive into my desktop so I have to reinstall the drivers , etc for respeqt, I will video that and put it on YouTube, also I should be getting the new starter kit from Atarimax soon, its USB so I will review both that and the 10502USB device that I got from Lotharek at a later date. Things are looking up here I now have 9 computer systems in a small room and my ST will be running  a dial up BBS as soon as Rogers installs my phone line, number to come later it will be dedicated to an Atari BBS called Spy Visits Spy BBS, hey we are gonna have some fun on it like the good old days. Russ

There's a browser extension called Facebook Purity (FBP) which lets you edit a lot of things on Facebook.  You can hide just about anything (like those annoying "Do you know this person?" posts or the News bar) and quiet all sorts of notifications.  It's free and I highly recommend it.

hehe Facebook. I use it of course but warn people about what to say. There is no such thing as 'private message' or 'personal', it is 100% data mined. They made available the ability to download your activity and my file was HUGE. Turns out they were collecting essentially every keystroke I've made over the last 9-10 years. I told this to a buddy who is a 40 year man with IBM and he replied 'Yeap, guess who is selling them their mass storage?'

One of my friends that got carried away, like 1000 FB friends finally got fed up with getting banned weekly. He figured out a lot of the people on his friends list were just their to rat him out if he said anything controversial. So he trimmed his friends list to ~80 people that he actually knew as family or friends. The next day he logged in to see six "has accepted your friend request." His response was he had never requested them. Next day he burned his Facebook account and scattered the ashes.

Amazing level of integration. I look at something on eBay and 10 minutes later my FB feed is plastered with ads for it.

Reminds me a lot of when AOL first gave the unwashed masses access to the newsgroups.

Edited by ricortes
  • Like 1

Just think, there's probably a dvd of data for sale in some Russian market...

I was stunned when I saw a program on data theft and it actually showed people buying the data at local markets in Russia, was very very common practice....CC info, medical data, you name it, it was for sale...

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 12:26 PM, Gunstar said:

I hated all the hundreds of friend requests I constantly got from people I don't know and didn't want to know anyway.

I hardly ever get friend requests. My profile pic is the same as my avi here on AA - don't know if that has something to do with it.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:44 PM, Tempest said:

Back when Facebook was new, people friended just about anyone they ever knew because it was all fun and new and no one was actually thinking about the long term privacy issues that would eventually come to light.  However over the past year or so I've trimmed down my friend list from about 125 or so to 25 (and counting).  The way I figured it, if I hadn't had any contact with the person in a year or two, why am I friends with them?  If they actually care they can hit me up again, otherwise it was no loss.

Facebook was fun when it was new - not so much anymore. About 6 months ago I had over 800 friends on Facebook - mostly pinball players - so I could be more "connected" to the scene. Well with Facebook's stupid algorithms I wasn't seeing everybody's posts anyway.

Then I started unfriending people. Like people I friended from my pinball league that said later "yeah I have a profile but I don't even use Facebook." So what's the point of being friends with someone that's not active? Now I'm only friends with only 2 people from league.

Next to be cut were people I would see at pinball tournaments and would look the other way and not say hi.

So, now I'm down to roughly 125. Anybody I want to stay in contact with I use text messaging instead of Facebook. If I have your phone number, we don't need to be friends on Facebook.

And I actually like Facebook better now that I trimmed the fat. I eliminated the serial post "sharers," people taking pics of their expensive restaurant dinner checks, posts about lavish vacations etc. basically stuff that I'm not interested in and I spend less time on the platform.

• Like 1

I think I hid all posts by most of the people I'm still friends with.  Generally it's nothing personal, but I don't really need my feed cluttered up with baby pics, political junk, and random memes.  Sometimes I wonder if they've done the same to me, but since I never post anything anyway they probably don't care.

• Like 1

I never signed up to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Whatsapp or what all these nonsense-overload sites are called - forums and email are doing the job real fine and I still have time to meet friends in real life without a smartphone beeping every 5 seconds with a new cat pic from one of theit news feeds. If I want to look at a cat I just bend over and pet our own one ?

so long,

Hias

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 6/20/2019 at 2:14 PM, rcamp48 said:

I decided not to leave FB,as i have too many people that depend on what i post.... i have got many people telling me that they like what i post, i will however post more tutorials here.

Russ

Is FB friendly to posting links to content outside of FB?  For example, could you post stuff here, YouTube, or wherever and then drop links to it in your FB content?

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 12:44 PM, Albert said:

Facebook is always making changes that break things.  Not a day goes by when I don't see something stupid they've done with obviously not enough testing.  This is especially noticeable if you run any pages or groups, as the tools for those get revised frequently and it's not unusual for features to completely break and then take days/weeks for them to fix. 

..Al

Maybe they should do like Microsoft (well for some things), Firefox, Altira, SDX and countless others do; have an opt in public beta test so that ugliness can be removed or corrected before publishing to prime time.

15 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I’ve moved FB into a folder on my phone and disabled notifications. It’s fun to go back to see my old friends once in a while, but I’m not playing the “maximum engagement” game that the FB company wants me to play. It’s just another info/distraction source. And if anyone bugs me? Poof, muted. No big deal. Avoid high drama groups and individuals who don’t fill my bucket. 

If I were to quit, I’d break my logins to the silly Korean RPGs I tend to favor. 

Suggestion: Taking your time at a pace that's comfortable to you, set about converting those logins to ones "local" to the various sites you visit.  Once you have done so, you have just removed that particular barrier to putting FB in your rear-view.

2 hours ago, fujidude said:

Is FB friendly to posting links to content outside of FB?  For example, could you post stuff here, YouTube, or wherever and then drop links to it in your FB content?

Ya no problem as far as I know.