IGNORED

Leaving FB permanently

rcamp48

I am leaving all of my groups and posts on FB permanently , I will be shutting down my account in a week. This will of course increase my videos on YouTube and Kizoa, (Kizoa is my video creation site) , and of course increase my tutorials here on Atariage, I intend to give Atariage the time that I have been giving to FB for  Atari related articles, on the Atari 8 bit , the Atari ST and the Atari Portfolio. Some of you know why I am leaving FB, others don`t, it is simply because of FBs BS right now. Russ

• Like 4

It does attract a certain level of member. Regulars from here who participate, try but don't really succeed in lifting the conversation out of the mire. I left a while ago but came back recently to show off my BASIC programmers guide poster.

It's kind of indicative of Facebook as a whole really. It's where people who can't internet, go to internet.

Can't blame you, have been toying with the idea for quite some time and would probably have done so, if I wouldn't mainly network with people who are working for or used to work for my company which I would lose sight of otherwise. I'm not very much into Atari on FB but in some discussions you find people with a lot of opinion but knowledge and manners on a lesser level....

Like everything in life, it is what people make of it. I run six different tech and retro groups full of great people posting fun and interesting stuff. I participate actively or follow several more. YMMV. 

But I never have seen the reason for people to make some aggrieved “I’m leaving!” post. Do what you want for your own reasons. No need to be dramatic about it. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Like everything in life, it is what people make of it. I run six different tech and retro groups full of great people posting fun and interesting stuff. I participate actively or follow several more. YMMV. 

It honestly depends on the group.  There are some groups that I've left because people bickered constantly or were acting like junior high school kids, but most groups seem to be friendly and well behaved.  I personally hate Facebook and I never post personal stuff on it anymore, but there are several niche communities that only seem to exist there so I'm forced to stay on it (and of course to stay in touch with family for emergencies).  But It's not a good platform for long term discussions, as things tend to get buried pretty fast and their search function is useless.

• Like 2

I actively ran one group with 17,000 members for a while but I got tired of how strictly I had to keep the moderation or it would decend into a morass of off topic posts and illegal links. I gave the group to a couple of other members and left, it has become a lot less strictly moderated since then, some think for the better, some not. The membership has stayed constant at the 17K mark, every new member seems to equal another one lost.

I left FB about a year ago, after joining for a year. Same thing, too much BS from FB. I hardly used it anyway, checking in every few months only. No loss to me at all. I was never a member of any group, I get what I need from sites and forums outside of FB. I hated all the hundreds of friend requests I constantly got from people I don't know and didn't want to know anyway.

Edited by Gunstar

12 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I hated all the hundreds of friend requests I constantly got from people I don't know and didn't want to know anyway.

Back when Facebook was new, people friended just about anyone they ever knew because it was all fun and new and no one was actually thinking about the long term privacy issues that would eventually come to light.  However over the past year or so I've trimmed down my friend list from about 125 or so to 25 (and counting).  The way I figured it, if I hadn't had any contact with the person in a year or two, why am I friends with them?  If they actually care they can hit me up again, otherwise it was no loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

But I never have seen the reason for people to make some aggrieved “I’m leaving!” post. Do what you want for your own reasons. No need to be dramatic about it. 

I agree. "I'm leaving" can also sometimes across as implicitly self-aggrandising, unless the person doing the leaving is a well-known community member with a juggernaut reputation. The assumption is that the reader even knew the person had arrived, let alone that they are leaving. :)

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, pacman000 said:

Does that include their developers? If so it would explain why the site's so slow & bloated.

Facebook is always making changes that break things.  Not a day goes by when I don't see something stupid they've done with obviously not enough testing.  This is especially noticeable if you run any pages or groups, as the tools for those get revised frequently and it's not unusual for features to completely break and then take days/weeks for them to fix. 

..Al

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

What are the other tech and retro groups you run?  I enjoy reading your comments (and appreciate you sharing your renewed Atari knowledge) and would love to know where else I can get more tech and retro knowledge from other great people in the community.

Sounds like the OP might be leaving for getting annoyed with Facebook users and/or moderators.  I've learned that Facebork is NOT a place for discussion (even with friends and family).

However, it is the one platform business and casual acquaintances are almost guaranteed to have.  You can keep it for messaging and disavow it for discussion.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, irich2 said:

What are the other tech and retro groups you run?  I enjoy reading your comments (and appreciate you sharing your renewed Atari knowledge) and would love to know where else I can get more tech and retro knowledge from other great people in the community.

dont worry i am still here to stay, was kinda down this morning when i posted that message.

• Like 1

FakeBook is depressing: https://guardianlv.com/2013/08/facebook-causes-depression-new-study-says/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2513782/Facebook-bullies-led-suicide-student-19-hanged-himself.html

I value my privacy so I don't use FB. They have a SHAMEFUL record on privacy. Zuck is a jerk with a smirk whose company is currently involved in an Anti-Trust investigation.

I am sometimes on the Free Speech site: https://usa.life/

Edit: clarity

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 5

I used to find myself religiously logging into FB.

Now I just take a look every few weeks, on my terms. I don't read what others write (nonsense), just answer any messages or write any that I want to.

I do the same with email. Too many years of spam turned me off the medium.

Now I have my daughters school complaining as I don't read emails. They can call me if they really need me.

#technologyOnMyTerms

Edited by snicklin
  • Like 1

My biggest qualms with facebook were notification overload, and how quickly things become 'unfindable'.

The first problem was solved by mailbox rules that direct all emails from facebook except direct message notifications to a sub folder I dont monitor other than to empty out occasionally. Fb is nice seeing the stream of Atari things people are posting pictures of and light comments, but any serious discussion or troubleshooting is hard since the platform seems to discourage longer passages by presenting small text boxes, and when reading having to click "more" to see more than 2 sentances... then when you click the back button to see the main or next post, the whole feed has been replaced with different posts.

• Like 2

I avoid FB because its so full on, by that I mean as much as you can regulate a little bit of what is going on its just throwing stuff at you 24/7. I was never a fan of social media, I used trillian/ ICU and Skype as a last resort because I was pushed towards it but FB seemed far less personal and the initial friends requests really annoyed me because they were from total strangers just hoping to buildup huge followings. Once I learned a little more i started to use FB purely as an information gathering medium. I can't get on with it as a chat medium, I prefer a more personal way, stuff just gets muddled real quick..

Its like trying to have a conversation on IRC, if you do it on the main channel its mad if the server is busy, you have to PM...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Certainly Facebook is something of a necessary evil where it's necessary at all, but regarding notification overload:

Capture.PNG.deab22c1fd74d769eea88c98d415bcd7.PNG

Turned that sh1t off years ago and hardly ever received an email from the platform since. Concerns about privacy and data mining on the site are entirely legitimate, and although Facebook groups are a good way of reaching a large audience, using Facebook as your primary video host does not make much sense if you wish to appeal to people who aren't on the platform. It's easy enough to share on Facebook every video hosted on YouTube or another video hosting site.

Regarding negative social impacts: familiarity with the blocking facilities, logout button, and the settings page can come in rather handy. Were the media to be believed, Facebook membership is mandatory and automatic.

• Like 1

Thanks Jon..I had messed with some but not all of those...

FB is a joy and a pain all in one...As much as it has annoyed me I do use it so it really is mandatory just for the source of info out there and of course you can chat with folks, just remember there's some odd people out there (yup, worse than me) so tread with care :)