IGNORED

BBS Software and Information Links

JohnPolka

Please post any useful links to BBS software and information here. Below are a few to get this topic started.

If you're looking for BBS Software and information, a good place to start is the archive on the BBS Documentary website:

http://software.bbsdocumentary.com/

For the Atari ST, there is some BBS software and information available at the following link. Some of these BBSs include source code.

https://docs.dev-docs.org/htm/search.php?find=BBS

Some BBS Express Pro! modules are available at the following link:

http://mixinc.net/atari/download_a8/probbs.htm

An archive for Pro! BBS News, a short lived newsletter for BBS Express Pro! SysOps, is available here:

https://archive.org/details/PROBBSnews

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 2

Well nothing super useful at the moment, but I will share. I was able to get ahold of the author of Ratsoft BBS.. He is getting some old hardware together.. he found his source code and told me in an email he is going to update the software.. So for the ST group.. that might be something to look forward to. I always liked Ratsoft as my fav. bbs software.

James

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

Well nothing super useful at the moment, but I will share. I was able to get ahold of the author of Ratsoft BBS.. He is getting some old hardware together.. he found his source code and told me in an email he is going to update the software.. So for the ST group.. that might be something to look forward to. I always liked Ratsoft as my fav. bbs software.

James

Figures... tried to get in touch with him for years while I was running RatSoft.  Barely two months after it goes down, he shows up.  I had been hoping that the source code would come up, but he had said that something had happened with some water damage or something (or so I was told, I never was in contact with him directly).

If I could find another Mega STE or get one of the two dead ones here working, I'd put it back up, but alas....

That said, this really should be in the discussion section, Resources was meant to be more read only and my intention was to delete messages here when the main post was updated with the links (which I haven't managed to do yet).

Edited by Tillek

• 3 months later...

any chance we could get a sticky for "Lost BBS Software"? I know we've come up with several titles in the main forum (or is it here?) of software thats been verified to exist but thus far not located...

I'm going to put a list like that together to put on wardialers.org - but my site gets barely any traffic compared to this one....

just a thought..

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 3:16 PM, doctor_x said:

cool.. im talking to the swedish beta tester for ratsoft on reddit.. im sure he is here too.. will find out. its the guy that runs the "defunct" website that hosts all the ratsoft files.... cool stuff.

I'm the guy that has dfunct.net, but I'm not Swedish. :) I think you got me and /u/tsangberg mixed up. He did used to run the Swedish Ratsoft support board back in the '90s. I'm sure most, if not all of the Ratsoft files I have came from, or through, his board at some point. I know he is around on Atari-Forum, but I'm unsure if he's around here. I'd be surprised if he wasn't though.

Steve Hughey, the author of Ratsoft, found me through Reddit a while back. Last I talked to him he had an Atari system set back up and he was going through the source code he was able to find. He was fixing a date bug and was looking at some fixes for running under Hatari.

From what he mentioned, Ratsoft/XE was never released. He only used it for his own board. It sounds like Ratsoft/PC was planned, but never finished. It would also seem that any code for XE and PC are lost to the ages now. :(

It's a bummer for XE and PC to be lost, but there's a decent chance that we'll see a newer release of Ratsoft/ST! Keep your fingers crossed! :)

On 10/29/2019 at 12:22 AM, braxton said:

I'm the guy that has dfunct.net, but I'm not Swedish. :) I think you got me and /u/tsangberg mixed up. He did used to run the Swedish Ratsoft support board back in the '90s. I'm sure most, if not all of the Ratsoft files I have came from, or through, his board at some point. I know he is around on Atari-Forum, but I'm unsure if he's around here. I'd be surprised if he wasn't though.

Steve Hughey, the author of Ratsoft, found me through Reddit a while back. Last I talked to him he had an Atari system set back up and he was going through the source code he was able to find. He was fixing a date bug and was looking at some fixes for running under Hatari.

From what he mentioned, Ratsoft/XE was never released. He only used it for his own board. It sounds like Ratsoft/PC was planned, but never finished. It would also seem that any code for XE and PC are lost to the ages now. :(

It's a bummer for XE and PC to be lost, but there's a decent chance that we'll see a newer release of Ratsoft/ST! Keep your fingers crossed! :)

yea.. even partial bits of code from those would be awesome.. but yea it would be great to see new releases for sure!

• 1 year later...