IGNORED

Paul Daniels with his Atari 800

adam1977

I've just come across this YouTube video with Paul Daniels* discussing his Atari 800, he credits the BBC book, '30 Hour Basic' with teaching him how to learn BASIC. I am interested in learning BASIC and as that book helped Mr. Daniels back in the day, I had a look on eBay for a copy and there are a few; but I can't see that it's specifically for the A800, does that matter though?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Daniels

Edited by adam1977
YT link
  • Like 4

To a certain extent, BASIC is BASIC. Of course there are variations but the basic concept of the language is the same. Learning the basic concepts is important, then find resources that are more specific to whatever version of Atari BASIC you want to learn. There are many versions of BASIC for the old 8-bits, I used BASIC XL the most personally. 

Good luck and have fun!

Gavin

• Like 2

Lest we forget the Paul Daniels Magic Adventure (not written by him although when him and his son were in the shop he never said it wasn't written by him when he demo'ed it...Naughty man)

Good old BASIC, gave many a programmer their first start in the game...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Lest we forget the Paul Daniels Magic Adventure (not written by him although when him and his son were in the shop he never said it wasn't written by him when he demo'ed it...Naughty man)

Good old BASIC, gave many a programmer their first start in the game...

I've never heard of Paul Daniels Magic Adventure, i'll have to download it ?

I think its called just "The Magic Adventure" but it seems the idea and terminology was from Paul Himself. He was indeed a very keen user of the Atari and had lots of Atari kit that he did actually use.

Edited by Mclaneinc
spelling