IGNORED

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Zap!

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

That's definitely not good, that's inexcusable dumpster fire territory there.  There's nothing about the game that should tax the Switch compared to larger things that have popped up that really do as they work a lot better, like my DSM example, but also Diablo 3, and the Panic Button projects.  I can see why they're making groveling posts about trying to fix it.  It should have been delayed if it's that bad.

I just don’t think it was optimized for the Switch. It was developed for the PC then ported down. It all comes down to how well it’s programmed and compatible. 

I’m just a stickler. Other than Curse, I haven’t bought a new game in over a year so I was disappointed. 

9 hours ago, Outdoormongoose said:

I actually cancelled my mine after learning this today.

I also read that the PS4 version has the same issues, but to a lesser degree. Has framerate drops, freezing, glitching, and other issues. Is this true? 

The only freezing  I've noticed myself on the PS4 version occur if you quickly kill enemies and they drop loot right after entering a new area.  Usually after the first freeze due to this you won't see it again until you switch areas- and again it's just if you manage to rush in and kill things quickly after entering an area.  Only other common glitch occurs when an enemy dies in a ledge and tries to drop a bag. The bag can get stuck in it's animation and sit there. And even if you can touch it, it won't open for you. They seemed to address this issue by auto-opening any bags on the screen if they haven't been picked up after 10 seconds or so. Not an ideal solution given you have to sit and wait, but if it's something you're trying to farm for it's better than nothing I guess.

Only glitch I've seen beyond that happened to me one time when I got hit by an enemy and thrown out an exit into a new map. When the new map showed up it seemed to detect me somewhere in the floor - I couldn't see myself although I could hear me walking/running/attacking somewhat. Couldn't leave the screen more even get the screen to scroll anywhere so I was certainly stuck somewhere.  I tried using a waystone to teleport back to base - figured that would at least reset my position, etc. But unfortunately when I got back to base I was again stuck under the floor somewhere between the two shops.  Ended up having to reload a save.

Given that only happened once and the loot issue is a bit benign, I can't say the bugs have been a big issue for me on the PS4. Would have preferred if they finished the game prior to release all the same. "Free DLC after launch" is just codespeak for "We'll finish it later." as far as I'm concerned.

31 minutes ago, Mord said:

Only glitch I've seen beyond that happened to me one time when I got hit by an enemy and thrown out an exit into a new map. When the new map showed up it seemed to detect me somewhere in the floor - I couldn't see myself although I could hear me walking/running/attacking somewhat. Couldn't leave the screen more even get the screen to scroll anywhere so I was certainly stuck somewhere.  I tried using a waystone to teleport back to base - figured that would at least reset my position, etc. But unfortunately when I got back to base I was again stuck under the floor somewhere between the two shops.  Ended up having to reload a save.

That sounds like the out of bounds glitch that I experienced (twice). Fortunately waystones worked for me.

I've had the PC one crash (lock) once, it was when reading a book off one of those shelves around.  I popped the book and I know I pressed something at that moment the animation started and it jammed.  They do have some interesting reads in a few, but many seem to have these nonsense optional(?) moves I've not been able to figure out.

11 hours ago, Outdoormongoose said:

From what I heard no.

Switch version is reported to have drops, input lag, and super blurry visuals. Some people have reported the resolution gets worse when docked. It would be fine if it locked at 30, but it doesn’t sound like it does properly. Just too many issues for me.

I really wanted the switch version to match the other. 

I'm halfway through and no framerate drops for me. I've noticed a pattern though. I have the physical version, a lot of the people griping about Switch framerate have the downloaded version. I'm thinking that may be the source, and probably will be something addressed in a patch soon.

I'm pleased that the dev team acknowledged the issues the very next day and is working on them. Makes me think all this might be nothing more than your typical launch issues that will be addressed soon. We will see.

16 minutes ago, Lord Thag said:

I'm halfway through and no framerate drops for me. I've noticed a pattern though. I have the physical version, a lot of the people griping about Switch framerate have the downloaded version. I'm thinking that may be the source, and probably will be something addressed in a patch soon.

I'm pleased that the dev team acknowledged the issues the very next day and is working on them. Makes me think all this might be nothing more than your typical launch issues that will be addressed soon. We will see.

That's both good and bad to know.

I just went with the PS4 version to save time/frustration. I don't really portable game anymore. I just wanted the switch to match my Curse on the shelf. I don't like it when games cross consoles in my collection. 

Well if the physical media has a stable framerate, it would have to make you wonder what could be impacting a download rental version of it?  Is it touchy depending on your make, model, or read/write speeds of the cards all playing an external factor they failed to properly test out for?

On 6/26/2019 at 7:41 PM, Tanooki said:

Well if the physical media has a stable framerate, it would have to make you wonder what could be impacting a download rental version of it?  Is it touchy depending on your make, model, or read/write speeds of the cards all playing an external factor they failed to properly test out for?

I just 100% it on the switch physical release. I *did* eventually notice a few framerate dips, but not enough that it ever really affected me much. Seems fairly random outside a couple of fairly busy boss fights. Certainly didn't make it close to unplayable though.

Here's my takeaway after 20 hours or so with it:

Definite Problems:
1. The graphics are a mess, particularly the characters and monsters. Weird lighting on the character models too, often distracting and shiny.

2. Color artifacting. Certain monsters and weapons, particularly those with flashy effects result in regular, repeatable flashes of solid color, glitchy visual artifacts, like light rays. Often screen filling flashes of light. It can be very distracting. Hard to see how this one made it through testing, it's reeeeeally obvious. Almost feels like their polygon paint routine goes out of bounds. Many enemies die like this as well. It looks awful.

3. Crashes. The game CTD'd 4 times during my run. Seems to be tied to room/cutscene transitions. 

4. Bitmap texture resolution: Some of the bitmapped textures (particularly on the haunted paintings) look like .png graphics from the PS1-era.
5. Framerate in some areas does take a noticeable hit. Mostly noticed it at the end of the game. Nothing unplayable though, mainly seemed to be tied to cutscene -> boss transitions, and very busy rooms.

Great things:
1. Great castle, probably the biggest one yet.

2. Cool use of actual 'historical' demons and occult knowledge (enochian script/language) to design the baddies. Setting was very cool.

3. Tons of items, weapons, and things to find (as you'd expect)

4. Lots of stuff to do, find, and discover
5. The Soma-style soul mechanics combined with crafting and soul enhancing makes for a very good time. Lots of customization.
6. Probably the most fun 'old style' metroidvania I've played since SOTN and Order of Ecclesia.

Things I liked but need work:
1. All the street-fighter like special moves on weapons felt half baked. Cool idea, needs to be a bit more useful and obvious.

2. Tons of weapons, but lots of identical movesets. Made some weapon classes less useful.

3. The villager fetch quests were really annoying and felt tacked on. The lady that has to scream 'kill those creatures dead!' every time you speak to her needs to just die.

4. The story: something something demons, something something alchemy. Great setting, very thin plot. Not that you play these for plot.
5. Outside of the first Zangetsu fight, the bosses were mostly a cake walk on normal. SOTN/Dawn of Sorrow easy.

The quests are definitely half-baked. I'm on my second playthrough now and am skipping a lot of them. They may yield some decent items but there's just no variety in the quests themselves ("Kill these monsters, find me this item, make me this snack..." *yawn*).

Fascinating, seems though the Switch isn't exclusive to crashes.  I'm up to the Twin Dragon fight more or less, and around that space I've had 2 crashes of the game, both on transition too and not the same kind.  I've yet to use any street fighter moves, they don't seem to make all that much sense to use and seem halfbaked for fake added meat to the game I could not care less about.  I don't know, but probably I'm not leveled enough as Zangetsu hasn't been the only pain, just the worst.  I went into the Twin Dragons got wasted, then went and explored a bit more.  I don't think I did anything too incredibly wrong but they do a lot of damage potentially very fast.

I think in the end I'll likely stick to the Steam freebie, and when GoG rolls up a 50% off or higher sale I'll buy that and lift my save data as that should be allowed.  I'd rather it be portable on Switch but not as it stands as I like physical and if it is really that jacked up relying on digital updates to make it work ideally versus passably I'm not a fan.  Never say never though, I see it somewhere cleared out for $10-20 maybe I'd change my mind but I don't like full price or even usually any price rewarding jacked up releases.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up the physical Switch release last weekend and have been enjoying the game.  However, I didn't do any homework and bought the Switch version just because it seemed like a more natural fit.  Only after buying did I hear about issues with the Switch port.  Sure, I've notice a few dropped frames here and there but the gameplay is what shines.  I've only played in short stints and I can't wait to give it truly undivided attention over the weekend.

Though I'm at a loss as to why a 2D game would give the Switch (or Xbox One according to Austin above) trouble, I'll keep the Switch version instead of exchanging for PS4.  It plays just fine for me...  so far.  I'm only a few hours in though.  I figure that if I don't see or experience a better port, I'll never know what I'm missing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glazball said:

I picked up the physical Switch release last weekend and have been enjoying the game.  However, I didn't do any homework and bought the Switch version just because it seemed like a more natural fit.  Only after buying did I hear about issues with the Switch port.  Sure, I've notice a few dropped frames here and there but the gameplay is what shines.  I've only played in short stints and I can't wait to give it truly undivided attention over the weekend.

Though I'm at a loss as to why a 2D game would give the Switch (or Xbox One according to Austin above) trouble, I'll keep the Switch version instead of exchanging for PS4.  It plays just fine for me...  so far.  I'm only a few hours in though.  I figure that if I don't see or experience a better port, I'll never know what I'm missing.

Because they switched (pun not intended) from vita late in the dev cycle, it's a rushed port. Unreal doesn't do well on switch anyway, and that's what they used, if memory serves.

It plays fine, but it looks terrible. Fixes in the works, apparently.

Just started playing this a few nights ago on the Switch via my physical copy. I'm about 5 hours in so far. There have definitely been more than a few instances of the game chugging along, especially in the 2.5D sections like the tower on the right side of the map. I didn't think a game like this would be taxing on the Switch; it really shouldn't be. It hasn't crashed yet, but it's come close.

Overall, it's still fun enough to keep me hooked. It's a decent mix of a lot of the good elements from previous games, and the music sounds like a B-side to SOTN's soundtrack.  I'll keep playing.

SPOILERS BELOW - nothing major though...

... because I have a bone to pick with this game.  I died at the final boss last night and I plan to finish it tonight, and overall it was a very fun game.  However, I did get stuck at one spot and I got so frustrated that I had to look up a "clue" in a walkthrough to point me the right way.

Around 75% of map completion, there's an area you must traverse that is lined floor and ceiling with spikes.  NOWHERE that I could find was there ANY CLUE on how to get past this.  Earlier, you get the Reflector Ray shard which allows you to zap through tight areas previously non-accessible.  It doesn't work in the spiky area, but I was kind of led to believe the answer was some new shard I hadn't gotten yet.

No.  It turns out you need the very-well-hidden Aegis Plate, a set of armor which negates all spike damage.  How would anyone know to look for that?  Did the devs assume the player would just need to keep exploring until finding that armor?  Because that's what I did, wasting probably 10 hours running back through the whole map.  Armor with that kind of spike-damage-negating attribute is pretty unusual in any game.

I'm a bit miffed that, unless I missed something (which I won't rule out!), there was no clue or hint or anything that would tip the player off on how to continue.  As it was, I went over and over the whole map thinking I may have missed a shard or that I simply wasn't supposed to go that way yet.  It's a small thing in retrospect, but a major fail to me.  I pretty much never use walkthroughs (on a first playthrough) and I just have to wonder if everyone (or most everyone) just looks up what to do online when they get to that part.

END SPOILERS

Overall though, it is a fun game and I rarely wanted to put it down.  The game has crashed on me twice (Switch version) and does drop frames now and again.  With just a bit more polish, it could have been a solid 9 or even a 10 in my book.  I just don't know if I could recommend it to friends knowing they'll likely get stuck like I did.

Edited by glazball

Yep, the Aegis Plate thing really pissed me off. I spent hours wandering around in circles trying to figure out what to do. So much time wasted.

But, I was also on the earliest version of the game. The later versions apparently have treasure chest markings on the map screen so you would know to go back and look for them. I may have actually done that if the feature had been implemented in the initial build on Xbox.

I have a love-hate relationship with these games on my first playthrough. I've gotten stuck in pretty much every single Igavania like this, because of something in the past I missed and forgot about, or something more cryptic (like having to walk through walls in Harmony of Dissonance to get Dracula's parts, or having to have rare souls in Dawn of Sorrow/Aria of Sorrow to progress). I actually got stuck multiple times in Bloodstained which made the first playthrough extra frustrating (one was the Aegis Plate, another was getting the pass from O.D., a guy I completely forgot about by the time I needed the pass). Great game, but parts of it were ridiculously annoying on my first run.

OK, thank you Austin - that makes me feel a bit better!  You always seem to quietly have an encyclopedic knowledge of every game ever made so if it tripped you up too, it makes me feel like less of a dunce.

I did finish the final boss last night and had to stop for dinner and family, but I still feel a strong urge to go back and finish up the last few fights like the Carpenter that I couldn't beat the first time.

Installed the latest patch last night and the game seems to run smoother, which is nice.

And yeah, the Aegis Plate thing is annoying. Even generally knowing where it was from people talking about it online, it still took me about 20 minutes to find the damn thing. 

And yeah, The Carpenter is a PITA! That thing kicked my butt!

Tip for fighting the carpenter reliably would be to bring enough healing items to restore yourself.  Probably the cheapest way to do that would be to max out your rice balls. They only give back a little hp but having 99 of them certainly works wonders.  It's not completely reliable but I noticed using the flying edge to attack from a slight distance while ducking had his butcher knives flying over my head half the time. I tended to rely on various magic skills to do most of the damage though given the weak damage done by the sword.  They've nerfed the flying sword AND the particular attack shards I used against the carpenter though to satisfy the whiners though, so it might not be a good strategy anymore.