IGNORED

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Zap!

I searched and couldn't believe that there wasn't a thread on this game. Anyway, the game was released a few days ago after a much anticipated wait. I ordered the Xbox One version on Amazon for $39.99 the other day, and it just came in the mail. From the little that I've played it so far, it seems fantastic. Such a SOTN feel. Heck, even the loading saved games menu has similar music to SOTN! Anyone else pick this up yet?

• Thanks 1

It's on my to buy list, just not sure which format either PC-GoG or Nintendo Switch.  I like the GoG idea as I always have my gaming laptop on, and stuff stays updated over multiple generations making it easier to get back to.  Switch though, solid system and release, handheld or console so it has that as an option, but more likely to get into disservice to no service out of sight/mind when hardware generations changes.

I'd have decided by now, but I'm working on multiple games now between Switch, DS(Castlevania Order of Ecclesia no less), and PSP too (which damn thing just broke so it's on hold for a replacement...ugh.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NE146 said:

I'm waiting for the Switch version.

Same. I'm on the kickstarter, waiting for shipping since switch is slightly later. 

It's getting very good reviews. Seems to have all the strengths (and flaws) of Iga's older handheld Castlevania games. 

11 hours ago, Tempest said:

I might get this eventually, but I'm so backlogged on games I don't have time right now.   Hopefully it will go on sale at some point.

I'm sure it will. I don't usually get games as soon as they're released, but this one I have long wanted and it was only $39.99.

Well I got sucked in, just turned it off maybe 15min ago if that.  Already up to lv13-14 character and into this garden space.  I'm finding it pretty good, but I was being lazy and using my mouse and keyboard so it gets a little weird and a tad uncomfortable.  I really need to pull out my 360 pc usb pad as it seems to be designed around that looking into the menus.  I can see why the early adopters with kickstarter and all that were really sucking up to the game pretty hard, it deserves it it appears.  This is definitely not your usual beg for money and release mediocrity or buggy messes most of them turn out to be (hi Mighty No 9) and so on.  All the success to Iga, hope he can make a whole series of these games under that name as a franchise.  Screw Konami, they can suck on their tiny pachinko balls.

• Like 1

I didn't back the kickstarter but I still got a physical disc for PS4 thanks to ebgames/gamestop having copies available. About 60% map completion at present, had various stupid moments that had me running all over the explored map looking for ways to continue only to come back to a particular place and go "oh... shit.. yeah, that."

I played about halfway through the game and have really enjoyed it so far. There are some occasional performance issues on Xbox One X, but overall it still plays pretty well. It honestly has more in common with the DS-vanias than it does Symphony of the Night, like a mix between Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia. Anyone familiar with those will feel right at home with this one.

Finally got my kickstarter Switch copy...

I'm of two minds. The game itself is fantastic, everything you'd want in a spiritual sequel to the old metroidvania games.

The Switch port, however, looks TERRIBLE. Like watching a Wii game viewed through a mud puddle. I'm not a graphics snob either, and usually gameplay trumps everything but ye gods, this thing is HIDEOUS on the switch. This should not have been released without some better optimization. It's bad enough I'll probably sell my copy and just pick up and xbox one at retail.

4 hours ago, Lord Thag said:

Finally got my kickstarter Switch copy...

I'm of two minds. The game itself is fantastic, everything you'd want in a spiritual sequel to the old metroidvania games.

The Switch port, however, looks TERRIBLE. Like watching a Wii game viewed through a mud puddle. I'm not a graphics snob either, and usually gameplay trumps everything but ye gods, this thing is HIDEOUS on the switch. This should not have been released without some better optimization. It's bad enough I'll probably sell my copy and just pick up and xbox one at retail.

I actually cancelled my mine after learning this today.

I also read that the PS4 version has the same issues, but to a lesser degree. Has framerate drops, freezing, glitching, and other issues. Is this true?

1 minute ago, Outdoormongoose said:

I actually cancelled my mine after learning this today.

I also read that the PS4 version has the same issues, but to a lesser degree. Has framerate drops, freezing, glitching, and other issues. Is this true?

I heard both the other console ports are good. The framerate issue seems to be much overblown. Even on the switch, it's perfectly playable. It's just freakin' UGLY.

It looks loads better on Xbox and PS4.

The game is absolutely worth getting, it's fantastic. It's just terrible looking on the switch.

5 minutes ago, Lord Thag said:

I heard both the other console ports are good. The framerate issue seems to be much overblown. Even on the switch, it's perfectly playable. It's just freakin' UGLY.

The game is absolutely worth getting, it's fantastic. It's just terrible looking on the switch.

Ok, thanks.

I just saw all the issues with it and decided it wasn't worth it. I'll get the PS4 version. 

edit: Curse of the Moon was awesome on Switch so I didn't even bother to research this before wanting to get it.....

Edited by Outdoormongoose

Just got this via kickstarter email:

We have been listening to the feedback regarding Switch performance. Our goal is for everyone, regardless of platform, to be able to enjoy the game and have it run smoothly. We want to live up to your, and our, expectations. 

Throughout the QA process we have been addressing performance issues in the game. Update 1.01 was published to Switch prior to launch to add content and improve performance. It did not accomplish as much as we had hoped and we need to do more.

To address the concerns brought up by the community we are immediately shifting resources to improve performance and stability for the Switch. You can expect a number of small updates that will improve different areas of the game rather than waiting longer for one big update. We will have more details as we dive into the work.

So, that's some good news for the Switch fans. Maybe I will keep my copy and see.

I know graphics to a point are important, but if the game is playable and handles as nicely as the other versions isn't this just a bit more of a preference/drama queen over it not being some 1080p/4K pretty level of output?  I mean there aren't like graphics just outright missing or falling in and out of view like as some said here, an old Wii game (with the bad draw distance/drop out lover low res?)  I've got it on PC Steam by chance so I haven't been motivated to snap that one up on there.

5 hours ago, Lord Thag said:

I wouldn't say the framerate issues are overblown. I'm running the game on a Xbox One X and there are many moments where the framerate just tanks out of nowhere. Yes, the game is still great, but you expect better from these more powerful consoles.

With the Switch version the default framerate is 30, so I'm actually curious to see how the dips fare in that version. In the Xbox One version you will go from 60fps to sub-20 in an instant. That's pretty jarring.

Hopefully they can better optimize the game across all platforms in future updates.

You got me curious too, this could be a case like with Dark Souls Remastered where quite a few people including even the developers of the conversion said in many ways it is the most balanced and superior version when it comes to gameplay consistencies.  As that game (like Bloodstained) is set to lock at 30fps, the game flows and runs smoothly and consistently except in some few and far apart places while the Sony/MS versions are set to 60 but will often trend when stuff happens in a space to pop instantly into a jittery lower 40fps range fighting to claw back to 60 with even dips into the sub 30 range and it screws with people.  Both on a visual end it comes off unstable and shaky, and for gameplay it makes it a little harder to compensate on moving and attack/aim stuff.

The Switch release of DSM may not look the prettiest unless you're going for a 720 comparison then maybe, but it has stability on its side, so it makes me wonder if Bloodstained has a similar thing going on there with it.

15 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

You got me curious too, this could be a case like with Dark Souls Remastered where quite a few people including even the developers of the conversion said in many ways it is the most balanced and superior version when it comes to gameplay consistencies.  As that game (like Bloodstained) is set to lock at 30fps, the game flows and runs smoothly and consistently except in some few and far apart places while the Sony/MS versions are set to 60 but will often trend when stuff happens in a space to pop instantly into a jittery lower 40fps range fighting to claw back to 60 with even dips into the sub 30 range and it screws with people.  Both on a visual end it comes off unstable and shaky, and for gameplay it makes it a little harder to compensate on moving and attack/aim stuff.

The Switch release of DSM may not look the prettiest unless you're going for a 720 comparison then maybe, but it has stability on its side, so it makes me wonder if Bloodstained has a similar thing going on there with it.

From what I heard no.

Switch version is reported to have drops, input lag, and super blurry visuals. Some people have reported the resolution gets worse when docked. It would be fine if it locked at 30, but it doesn’t sound like it does properly. Just too many issues for me.

I really wanted the switch version to match the other. 

That's definitely not good, that's inexcusable dumpster fire territory there.  There's nothing about the game that should tax the Switch compared to larger things that have popped up that really do as they work a lot better, like my DSM example, but also Diablo 3, and the Panic Button projects.  I can see why they're making groveling posts about trying to fix it.  It should have been delayed if it's that bad.