IGNORED

Just got my SDrive Max...A thing of beauty..

Mclaneinc

No cases designed for a 2.4" screen have been released to the community so you will have to make one. As long as the screen uses one of the five supported driver chips it should work fine. 2.4 inch screens are about $3 on aliexpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847715775.html?channel=twinner) , here's the same one but on Amazon for $10 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722DPHN6/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_--LjDbNVYHXCW)

EDIT: Note, I'm not saying this screen will be OK. The Aliexpress one at least is by mcufriend and I've had bad experiences with those screens, the touch panel didn't work on both of the two of them that I had. 

It looks like it. The board footprint is the same, just the panel is smaller. you might find it a little loose as some of the case support is a groove for the panel which yours won't locate into. If yours has a reset button under the screen you might have issue with that, the 2.8's don't have that button so there is no cutout for it on the case. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

No cases designed for a 2.4" screen have been released to the community so you will have to make one. As long as the screen uses one of the five supported driver chips it should work fine. 2.4 inch screens are about $3 on aliexpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847715775.html?channel=twinner) , here's the same one but on Amazon for $10 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722DPHN6/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_--LjDbNVYHXCW)

EDIT: Note, I'm not saying this screen will be OK. The Aliexpress one at least is by mcufriend and I've had bad experiences with those screens, the touch panel didn't work on both of the two of them that I had. 

I won't work on it because I am a bit lazy and don't see the need since the screen spec'd is available and quite good. The MCUFriend screen could probably be made to work with just a couple of pin switches to the touch screen or recompiling the software with the proper driver. I've been working with both screens for a while making ~toys for my grandchildren. The MCUFriend displays are a buck or two cheaper but not really preferred by myself.

I'm also not a huge fan of resistive vs capacitance for touch screens just because I am something of a clumsy oaf and once again, give them to young kids. The resistive screens always seem to get marred by the stylist. 

17 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I actually mentioned this in the other SD-Max thread asking about the MCUFRIEND screens. Since this was brought up (I have same issue with non-responsive screen), this might be the reason why you were having issues. The TFT screen I am mentioning below is a MCUFRIEND branded screen. Current available SD-Max hex files are not configured with the "D" driver.

My post from other thread:

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to add more screens (drivers) to the compatibility list for the SDrive-Max?

I have a brand new Himax HX8347-D TFT ID:4747 TFT screen in my parts bins and was able to get the atmega328-hx8347g hex files to load , but the touch is not responding. So I just wondered if this is something that can be easily done. Give me reason to build another SD-M ;-)

It appears to be a 2.8" screen and has the Palm Pilot style lower section with icons that reference [home] [mail] [docs] [phone] [music].

Just a little out there question, I'm really happy with my Sdrive but here's the question, its basically a drive emulation device, is it possible / has it been done so it can emulate other drives ie a Happy, Super Mini etc etc. Would the hardware be able to do that. Just as a matter of ability it would be great to be able to boot it as a Happy or Archiver etc etc.

Its its not do-able then just say no, don't be dumb Paul and I'll be happy, but if its possible has it ever been discussed?

Again, I'm happy with it as it is but if there's potential and a person could / wants to do it then why not.

Paul.

• Like 1

I don't know, but I also can't see why you would want to?

I thought the Happy/Speedy etc. drives were for copying protected disks and loading faster? Maybe my understanding of them is incomplete. 

The SDM can't have a disk inserted into it, only a virtual already copied one and the device uses Hias high speed SIO routines so it already goes faster than a Happy/Speedy ever could. I suppose you could use it to copy an ATX file but again, why would you want to?

The reason I could see is if you own copy protected disks and want to copy them to the sdrivemax, the only drive I'd want emulated would be a bitwriter/SA

and I'd want a real drive with the same... I believe you could copy just about anything that way and have it all on your sdrivemax

I was really thinking more about the ultra speed loading (obviously not for protected stuff), I saw quickly that it does go faster than happy but from what little I've loaded it seemed to be at normal speed.....To be fair I've not used it much so could me confusing with Altirra in 810 mode..( was testing some stuff)..

Sorry if I've confused the two, long day at the dementia clinic for my friend.....Not a great outcome for him...Very stressful all around..

By default it does go about the normal speed, you have to change it and save the settings in the atari menu, you can't do it on the touchscreen. 

Boot your atari with the SDM attached but no files inserted to get to the sdrive.atr menu. Press U and Ctrl+U to cycle up/down the FastSIO speeds, press Ctrl+W to write your settings.

Now ATR/XEX files will load fast, ATX will obey the timing of the original drives 810/1050 depending on what you choose.

Tapes have a turbo option to speed them up to 1000bps in the touch screen menu. The famous tape upgrades back in the day went at 2000bps (hence Turbo2K) so I guess @kbr still has some work to do there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The reason I could see is if you own copy protected disks and want to copy them to the sdrivemax, the only drive I'd want emulated would be a bitwriter/SA

and I'd want a real drive with the same... I believe you could copy just about anything that way and have it all on your sdrivemax

I see what you're saying; if you had a real speedy and an SDM emulating a speedy you could copy disk-2-disk your original disks and end up with protected atr files? 

That would be really hard. The current SDM doesn't emulate the 810/1050, it simulates them in a pretty simple way and then tries to copy their timings for ATX files. Adding Happy/Speedy support would involve actual drive emulation & running the happy/speedy firmware. I don't think the UNOR3 is man enough for the job!

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I see what you're saying; if you had a real speedy and an SDM emulating a speedy you could copy disk-2-disk your original disks and end up with protected atr files? 

That would be really hard. The current SDM doesn't emulate the 810/1050, it simulates them in a pretty simple way and then tries to copy their timings for ATX files. Adding Happy/Speedy support would involve actual drive emulation & running the happy/speedy firmware. I don't think the UNOR3 is man enough for the job!

In my experience, an RPi Zero isn't enough either, at least using RespeQt running on top of Raspbian with all the usual GUI cruft that comes with Raspbian, though an RPi3 or 3+ can do it.  A bare-metal drive emulator running native ARM code might be able to do it minus all the GUI overhead but I doubt it.

I recently got a Pi1541 hat to use with my two C64 machines. This is an I/O board that sits on top of a Raspberry Pi mated to the GPIO pins, adds one or two IEC serial DIN connectors, a few buttons for navigating files and directories, and a tiny OLED screen. The device runs on custom ARM code on the Pi and gives cycle-exact 1541 or 1581 disk drive emulation, though it requires an RPi3 or RPi3+ to manage it. Since - in concept at least - a C= drive is similar to an Atari drive (both use a 65xx type processor with I/O chips, memory, ROM, etc. for "intelligent" drive communication over a serial connection), but the Atari does it substantially faster than the C= drive, I think it would require at least as much computer horsepower for true cycle-exact drive emulation of an 810 or 1050.

• Like 1

@Mr Robot Thank you for the info at how to get the high speed...Very very handy...

Excuse my lack of research, it was one of those rare treats I got and it had been getting such regard AND it looks drop dead gorgeous so I brought it while I could :)

Never RTFM :)

Again, thank you..

Paul.

• Like 1

Gadfly in action warning. I've been trying to like the RPi since they first came out. Still no love. The first RPi had the runaway USB problem and the sound jack was routed too close to the data lines and produced pretty bad audio. I just tried one of their recent offerings<3+ I think> and HDMI sound didn't work right. Two different cables, two different TVs, all the updates, still horrible skipping. I'm not a Pi guy and if you want to use one, fine. Odd thing is when I used it with a HDMI to VGA adapter with separate sound out, it worked. I'll have to find that adapter and waste another couple of days of my life. :) I don't think the RPi is the answer to anything other then 'how should I waste my free time?'

I've recently tried an Arduino Leonardo and it is a capable upgrade. I may even have a Mega around here somewhere. I think it has +500 bytes RAM available and it would probably be needed for doing anything beyond what the current SDrive does. They are also a bit pricier then a clone UNO<~+$10> so unless you have something that is really really gotta have, price vs performance of the existing UNO is tough to beat. I got mine because I needed to simulate a USB keyboard/mouse and I don't see that feature as a must have on an Atari. I guess what I am trying to say is unless you need additional functionality like making toast or something, UNO is good'nuff. :)

If you are having problems with hdmi audio on an rpi 3b+, you're doing something wrong. I have over a dozen Pi's of various versions dotted around the house being used for various tasks and any that are plugged into displays with audio work perfectly. 

RPi model b version 1.2 2015. It's not me, may be the Raspberry OS. Python Games work fine with sound but music player sucks. I really worked too hard on it. Compiled/installed VLC and it had the same problem with stuttering audio. Even trying to watch YouTube is a PIA because of the sound. Actually spent days trying to debug it and did everything short of switching to a different OS. Once again, the sound with head phones works fine, just the HDMI sound is lovin the pooch. A problem is my HDMI monitors don't use audio jack when switched to HDMI input. 

I am snake bit when it comes to RPi. Not just the flaky hardware and stuff that doesn't run. My first RPi was 'borrowed' by my son who never returned it. The model b was pilfered by the same roommate that burned up one of my Ataris. I just found where she had secreted RPi in a backpack left behind when she moved out. It is like the powers that be have cursed me when it comes to RPi. I'll give it another shot under Debian or something but I burned up all my free time this month trying to get it to work. i.e. I can use the HDMI to VGA adapter because the monitor accepts PC sound => RPi jack, when in VGA mode. Just annoys me to no end it doesn't work right with HDMI sound.

That's a Pi2, it plays music out of the hdmi fine. If yours doesn't it's definitely set up wrong. Look at the memory allocation, check your cpu usage, if you are pulling the files off the network, check that, if from the sd card, try a different card. Stuttering is usually a throughput issue somewhere. 

On 7/19/2019 at 9:47 AM, Mr Robot said:

That's a Pi2, it plays music out of the hdmi fine. If yours doesn't it's definitely set up wrong. Look at the memory allocation, check your cpu usage, if you are pulling the files off the network, check that, if from the sd card, try a different card. Stuttering is usually a throughput issue somewhere. 

Tried all that and more. I think I've settled on it being a failed patch. System worked fine ~2 years ago when I last used it. Only thing I did that munged it was a sudo update which apparently broke it.  [wipe, fresh install] fixed it. I still have to add back ~8 gigs of music I lost in the wipe but is 'mostly' backed up. Local media failed too so not network, processor seldom got above 25%. System was really

buggy: Changing output would reset volume to 2%, then changing volume to something you could hear would reset output.

The new install sent itself on an auto update as soon as it finished :( . It seem to go OK except for a failure updating Chromium. So far so good. YouTube works anyway and I am using it to type this message. I'll see if I can get an emulator running on it! 

35 minutes ago, ricortes said:

Tried all that and more. I think I've settled on it being a failed patch. System worked fine ~2 years ago when I last used it. Only thing I did that munged it was a sudo update which apparently broke it.  [wipe, fresh install] fixed it. I still have to add back ~8 gigs of music I lost in the wipe ... 

Look into setting up an automount for external drives. I usually store my media (all the files for my RetroPie setup for instance) on a USB drive plugged into the Pi. That way I can replace a screwed up microSD card or replace the Pi with a faster model without re-copying over all my roms, game box images, etc. I’ve used this to go from a Pi 2 to first a 3, and now a 3+. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi folks, I finally got around to trying the super fast speeds and I'm thinking I'm missing something (like a brain), I read Mr Robots kind words about how you set the speeds on the sdrive.atr and wrote the settings back but its not going any faster...

Does it need a modded OS to work?  (I'm presuming yes from having another look)

Sorry for the stupid questions..

Edited by Mclaneinc