IGNORED

Repros and AliExpress

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You're assuming a lot aren't ya, perhaps taking it personally?  I never said I was an expert on his business operations.  I was pointing out that other consumers tend to kiss his ass, not about how good or bad his products are.  I think you're getting defensive reading too much into it.  The entire point was there are choices out there now, some better, some not, but it would be good to look into it.  As you said, beauty of a free market, but it's also good to let people be informed consumers.  BennVenn has better product for Gameboy and Gameboy Color lately.  EZ Flash Omega too with the GBA as a couple examples.

What am I being defensive of?  I'm saying you're conflating the ability to buy alternative products with the ability to bootleg a singular product, and that you're being excessively vocal about it for reasons that are unclear to me.

• Like 1

Then you're drawing the wrong conclusion.  I'm just saying krikzz isn't the be all end all of stuff yet there are a lot of people out there just beatnig their chest like he's some piracy/homebrew kit god and at times his stuff comes at an unwarranted premium when there are legit alternatives out there.  BennVenn with his handheld toys are better crafted, and latest iterations match and exceed what krikzz has.  And as long as krikzz has been out there like them or not ez-flash has been around for like what 15-20 years, and their Omega is right there if not better than his everdrive x7 for GBA and that's a kit they evolved before krikzz even got started.  Sure there are a lot of chinese thefts out there, and there are others using freely distributed info too (like the sd2snes), but not everything is a scam.  There's nothing wrong with equally if not better made lower cost too (or not, with the N64 kit) product out there I feel people overlook too much.

15 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Then you're drawing the wrong conclusion.  I'm just saying krikzz isn't the be all end all of stuff yet there are a lot of people out there just beatnig their chest like he's some piracy/homebrew kit god and at times his stuff comes at an unwarranted premium when there are legit alternatives out there.  BennVenn with his handheld toys are better crafted, and latest iterations match and exceed what krikzz has.  And as long as krikzz has been out there like them or not ez-flash has been around for like what 15-20 years, and their Omega is right there if not better than his everdrive x7 for GBA and that's a kit they evolved before krikzz even got started.  Sure there are a lot of chinese thefts out there, and there are others using freely distributed info too (like the sd2snes), but not everything is a scam.  There's nothing wrong with equally if not better made lower cost too (or not, with the N64 kit) product out there I feel people overlook too much.

So....there an example as to where I can get one of those good snes or n64ncarts? ?

• Like 1

I have one of the Genesis flash carts from ali. Definite krikkz knockoff. Still works, over a year later (you never know with this ali stuff).

I had someone here tell me I shouldn't buy something like that as it hurts krikkz. For some time I considered the ethics of buying a device primarily meant for pirating (sure, homebrews and hacks and backups guys, right!) from a pirate who stole the design, as opposed to the person who just designs and sells the device primarily for pirating. After some internal debate, I had a beer and played some Ghouls and Ghosts and decided I didn't care.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

No one has ever denied that alternatives exist.  I don't even think I recall anyone disparaging the alternatives, given that the trade offs are known.  The only conflict I ever see with Krikzz is in people buying knockoffs of HIS designs, not competing products.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Don't buy competitorcart because it'll hurt Krikzz."  They're saying "If you're gonna buy Krikzz, buy the real thing."

On 6/23/2019 at 8:14 AM, Flojomojo said:

Aliexpress has flash carts too!

Sorry I mentioned it. 

On 6/23/2019 at 11:02 AM, CatPix said:

I don't buy those, especially since the most commons are Everdrive.

It doesn't hurt Capcom when you buy a pirated cart of a game they haven't sold in 20 years; it hurts Krizzk's business when you buy a pirated product rather than the genuine thing; ultimately it wil lead to him giving up on business.

So unless it's an old crutsy flashcart model that is no longer made, I do'nt buy flash carts from Aliexpress &co.

A valid opinion that seems to have set off a big slap fight. 

14 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

There's a huge difference between wanting more options, and "serves him right for his products being bootlegged by the Chinese because too many customers like his products."

Gaaah

22 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

No one has ever denied that alternatives exist.  I don't even think I recall anyone disparaging the alternatives, given that the trade offs are known.  The only conflict I ever see with Krikzz is in people buying knockoffs of HIS designs, not competing products.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Don't buy competitorcart because it'll hurt Krikzz."  They're saying "If you're gonna buy Krikzz, buy the real thing."

See above. 

Krikzz sells good stuff

AliExpress sells cheap stuff

We should all support those that make good stuff

But sometimes cheap stuff is good enough, and it can be hard to compete with cheap. 

My "Everdrive" came with a bootleg Sega Megadrive from AliExpress. It's neither great nor terrible and I wouldn't have bought an Everdrive anyway. I haven't touched it since the MegaSg jailbreak firmware came out. Did I hurt anyone?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Austin said:

Saving up to buy a flash cart instead of paying $9+ each on a bunch of separate carts that will eventually add up to the same price as the flash cart.

SD2SNES is the cream of the crop for the SNES, and as such it is expensive. There are much cheaper options and you don't have to get a SD2SNES. There are older Super Everdrives that still work great.

It's why I acquired a GB Everdrive (first version without number, I think the equivalent today is the X3). The GB is a console I TOTALLY overlooked BITD and now the good games are just silly expensive, enough that paying 80€ easily overcoem the cost of 5 of the best GB/GBC games.

I haven't made the jump for other systems yet because games are either cheap or I already own a good part of the good ones. I'll probably get a Master System flashcart soon; games are getting on the expensive side those days...

Super Famicom games are still cheap enough that blowing 200 bucks in a SD2SNES is still not really an option I consider seriously at the moment. I'll probably buy it in a few years tho.

18 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

Krikzz doesn't "put out" the SD2SNES plans, the project is open source and Krikzz is simply one of the manufacturers/sellers.  It's perfectly fine for anyone to release an SD2SNES.

I didn't know that! That's cool!

8 hours ago, CatPix said:

Super Famicom games are still cheap enough that blowing 200 bucks in a SD2SNES is still not really an option I consider seriously at the moment. I'll probably buy it in a few years tho.

Yep, that's why I mentioned going cheaper. The extra features of the SD2SNES are neat, but my Super Everdrive is still functioning just fine. It's a good alternative for people that already have (or plan on getting) some of the incompatible games separately (e.g., Super FX titles). You lose out on some quality of life improvements (fast loading, expansion capabilities, etc), but it's a compromise that's worth the price. I just checked and they can be bought for less than $90 now at StoneAgeGamer's website.

Keep in mind this isn't necessarily directed at you, but there's a misconception going around right now that the SD2SNES is the only option when it comes to SNES flash carts. A standard $90 Super Everdrive may be the perfect solution for people that want some of the benefits of flash carts, but don't want to pay nearly as much as a SD2SNES.

Edited by Austin

The Super ED with or without DSP is worth it, but only if you know what you can't play for say the US ROM set.  If you're not a fan of Kirby, Mario RPG, Starfox, Yoshis Island, Mega Man X2/3, and a few other choice games then yeah the SD2SNES is fairly worthless from a just play a game standpoint.  But, if you want a couple or even one of those depending on the title, the cost increase now pays for itself.  Before they added the SA1 and FX it really wasn't worth it if you had those few key games already which is why I didn't pop for one until the recent adds in the last year or so.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:00 PM, GoldenWheels said:

I have one of the Genesis flash carts from ali. Definite krikkz knockoff. Still works, over a year later (you never know with this ali stuff).

I had someone here tell me I shouldn't buy something like that as it hurts krikkz. For some time I considered the ethics of buying a device primarily meant for pirating (sure, homebrews and hacks and backups guys, right!) from a pirate who stole the design, as opposed to the person who just designs and sells the device primarily for pirating. After some internal debate, I had a beer and played some Ghouls and Ghosts and decided I didn't care.

An unfortunate reflection of how most people feel, which is to say a complete disregard for others who put in the effort to innovate and create as they don't have the ability or inclination in themselves.

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2019 at 9:00 PM, Reaperman said:

I have a vid on it where I have pics of the inside, etc.  I'm actually a pretty huge fan of both the GB and SNES repros from there.

It's night and day different from old repros with brittle or flexible plastic cases and labels that peeled themselves off.

The plastic is so near to right I couldn't tell it apart.  Labels stick well, but have mild saturation issues with printing, and little inconsistencies relating to the quick creation of new label art from internet sources.  (I think one of mine uses art in the wrong aspect ratio, for example)

Batteries are socketed and the boards are very clean--the internals are made with more care than the originals, IMO.

That picture of a hot glue mess console representing what people do with using donor carts VS new pcbs is a massive misrepresentation. As others have mentioned, you totally skipped over the questionable quality of the pcbs and the lack of parts using the proper voltage on at least 80 to 90 percent of the AliExpress games. That was a seriously biased video that purposely (or ignorantly?) left out a lot of details about both sides of the argument. If you don't know what you are talking about it's not cool to spread misinformation.

5 minutes ago, Shawn said:

That was a seriously biased video that purposely (or ignorantly?) left out a lot of details about both sides of the argument. If you don't know what you are talking about it's not cool to spread misinformation.

I guess of those options it was 'ignorantly.'

Happen to have a source for the voltage info?

Actually, you know what?  just never mind.

Edited by Reaperman

6 hours ago, CatPix said:

What do you mean? It fits into a standard GBC shell. Or do you mean "stick out" as in design-wise?

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

It sticks out of a folding GBA SP, which is my favorite form factor. 

Could be worse you could be using the GBA Everdrive where it fits into nothing correctly as the form factor itself sticks out at least 1cm from the top of any system as it's overly tall which makes keeping it in any GBA model case real pain in the ass.  I'm not sure what the deal was there, but the EZ Flash Omega which runs equally as well with the same perks that one default is set inside a GBA sized cage, but you can pop it out of that as the cart itself is set to sit flush in a DSLite.

I have the ez flash iv. Works great but I have to flash the game using a ds and it can only hold one game.

Heck maybe I should just get a Harmony and continue to use my RPi for roms. I just don't have a good controller for that SNES or NES feel. 

Has anyone seen repros of Rolans Curse 2? Its a stupid expensive game but I haven't seen one.

9 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I have the ez flash iv. Works great but I have to flash the game using a ds and it can only hold one game.

Heck maybe I should just get a Harmony and continue to use my RPi for roms. I just don't have a good controller for that SNES or NES feel. 

Has anyone seen repros of Rolans Curse 2? Its a stupid expensive game but I haven't seen one.

The EZ Flash IV should have a SD slot of some kind (I used to have one). You can store many ROMs on it like an Everdrive.