IGNORED

If the F18A MK II is in your future, has your hunt started yet?

Omega-TI

As folks modernize and upgrade their TI's, their old composite or VGA monitors may no longer be up to the task.  Now days smaller TV's with HDMI inputs are fairly inexpensive.  The one I've been lugging to the Fest West's has the appropriate HDMI jack, so I'm good to go, but in the meantime, maybe we can all be on the lookout for matching black & silver TV's for a good price.

So if you guys come across anything, post it here for others to see and possibly even purchase for themselves.

Inputs.jpg

• Like 1

Not a problem for me, I got several monitors that work just fine. :) In fact, I may see if anyone here wants to purchase one.

Only stipulation is I really REALLY don't want to ship anything, so pick-up is vastly preferred.

I'm not a huge fan of how the TI composite signal renders on modern TV's. I mean, it's sharp as heck, VERY readable on light colored screens. But the lack of a CRT means the original "glow" effect is gone, and colors get a little muted and muddy against black screen.

Currently I'm using an Sony KDL-19BX200 TV.

This LCD TV has a better picture as my very good 14" Sony CRT TV.
And it provide an Yp Pb Pr  and HDMI Input.

IMG_2596.thumb.JPG.0fdffde8d55573798408ff6ef46d8fe2.JPGimage.thumb.png.07f20b74ad2e3e63d5ecb22f59cbb779.png

In this picture I use the normal PAL TV converter, but I will make a new direct cable for Yp Pb Pr the German TI version should provide.

Edited by wolhess
  • Like 1

What about beige consoles... They'll need to find a matching beige bezelled HDMI display. 

I jest.

I actually have 9 80s tech computers connected to one display. I don't think I have any chance of getting one display that matches all of their flair. 

LOL

-M@

• Like 1

i've just been using bargain-bin Walmart special TVs for my TI stuff- the first one was a no-name 19 incher I got for like 75 bucks a couple of years ago.  It had VGA, HDMI, RCA, *and* coax still! 

my daughter ended up with that TV for a spare Nintendo Switch dock, so I grabbed a 24 inch one from Wally for not much more than the 19.  it looks alright I think with the TI composite cable.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

With Mark II getting closer, has anyone popped for a new (or new to them) monitor in the past month or so?  If so, what did you get?

Well, it's wasn't specifically for the TI, but I grabbed this monitor: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075D5NDFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's reasonably inexpensive, has a decent picture, has speakers, supports HDMI, DVI and VGA, but most importantly for this purchase, the VGA port also supports 15Khz RGB. This means this monitor works with my 15Khz Amiga (using a passive adapter to the VGA pinout) as well as my HDMI Apple 2 and my VGA TI. ;)

• Like 4

Thank you 

5 hours ago, Tursi said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075D5NDFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's reasonably inexpensive, has a decent picture, has speakers, supports HDMI, DVI and VGA, but most importantly for this purchase, the VGA port also supports 15Khz RGB. This means this monitor works with my 15Khz Amiga (using a passive adapter to the VGA pinout) as well as my HDMI Apple 2 and my VGA TI. ;)

Thank you sir.. this Acer solves my quest for another 15khz VGA, and I feel I can give people a 9958 with a chance of still getting a monitor. 

I have worked this list http://15khz.wikidot.com/ around town looking for matches. I think I saw the Acer listed as I was comparing every monitor at Goodwill (Austin has computer recycle Goodwill, with hundreds of monitors), but it didn’t occur to me to look for any more New in Box!

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 9:16 PM, --- Ω --- said:

Wally World has an inexpensive 19" 'dumb TV'  << HERE >> for $75.00 (before tax) (free shipping).

It has a respectable number of connections for the price too (as seen in the image below).  So whether you have a 9918 or an F18A already, you can use it up to and after the Mark II comes out.  

Went by your recommendation alone (even if it means stretching my VA medications out a couple of months) - it came to $81.18 after my city + governor's cut.

Walmart was on my boycott list, but I can't remember why now, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

2 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Has it arrived yet?  Do you already have it hooked up?

Yes, but I'm going to give it a thumbs down vote.

I've attached four screenshots: All should be recognizable where they are generated from and their display mode. 

I can't see a way to force it out of 640x480 mode, so only about 1/4 of the screen real estate is viewable/available,

unless someone can tell me how to get the F-18A to generate 35.1, 37.9, 48.4, and/or 49 KHz output/horizontal scan frequency.

For review completeness, I will add I already popped the case to see the guts. The thing is light + thin, literally like picking up a Frisbee.

Other than the display panel, there is a combined board https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=rca+rt1971-ac

"spare" replacements that can be had now in quantity for < $10 if someone buys this and wants to future proof it.

Coax TV looks great. HDMI looks great. Haven't tested composite or RGB component inputs.

It supports plugging in USB media to play music, view pictures (haven't checked all formats), and text files (haven't checked all formats).

Sound is tinny w/o a lot of bass which can be expected for its size.

Supports date/time, 12/24 hr, manual/auto-set from menu via TV input source, and auto-DST.

If anybody wants other/more detailed usage is free to DM me and I'll try out and report on other features.

RT1970-1.JPG

RT1970-2.JPG

RT1970-3.JPG

RT1970-4.JPG

Edited by helocast
More complete feature review.

Does it have manual picture scaling options?  Some of those TVs have such things. If all you are using it for is the Ti, then setting it should not be a problem.

Now I am kinda regretting letting that 4:3 aspect flat panel monitor I had go.

It was very similar to this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-19-LCD-Monitor-vs19e-EN632AA-4-3-1280x1024-Built-in-Speakers-w-VGA-power/202747504450?hash=item2f34b16742:g:Y~IAAOSwpORdQKqT

I gave it to the neighbor boy a few years back, along with a hand-me-down rebuilt emachines box.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Does it have manual picture scaling options?  Some of those TVs have such things. If all you are using it for is the Ti, then setting it should not be a problem.

Unfortunately, no. Tried the manual menu buttons and remote - it lacks the intelligence on the 15-pin PC input to up/downscale.

Pity too because every other function/port works like it's supposed to work. I guess I have a backup monitor/tv for other things ...

I pulled the user manual...

http://media.datatail.com/docs/manual/148822_en.pdf

It suggests that there should be a few things in the OSD that you could try.

1) Try adjusting the aspect mode in the picture menu. The manual sucks, and does not tell me what modes it offers, but look for something called 'zoom' or 'cinema.'

2) Go into the "PC options" section of the "setup" menu, and muck about with the clock values.

17 hours ago, helocast said:

Unfortunately, no. Tried the manual menu buttons and remote - it lacks the intelligence on the 15-pin PC input to up/downscale.

Pity too because every other function/port works like it's supposed to work. I guess I have a backup monitor/tv for other things ...

That sucks, although admittedly I've never seen or heard of anything like this before.  On the good side, that should not be a problem later when using the F18A MK2 through the video HDMI port.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/7/2019 at 3:25 AM, Tursi said:

This monitor has decreased in price to $160 at Amazon.