IGNORED

90's FPS movement weirdness

So I just installed Chasm: The Rift on my DOS PC and I noticed something really weird. It auto-centers the crosshair whenever you move backwards in unlimited mouselook mode. It's beyond annoying. Especially when compared to Quake's +mlook (in the console) where it does none of that shite. I understand that it wasd+mouselook did not really become the standard until the early 2000s but to have any auto-centering and no way to turn it off is annoying as hell.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Austin said:

I know I've experienced other 3D games that operate similarly and it can be pretty annoying. Fortunately Chasm is not a game designed with much verticality in mind so you barely need to use mouselook.

Yeah it's not too bad. But there was one level I've played so far that had flying enemies. So it was quite annoying. I've also just bought Last Rites on Steam (which has an ISO of the game included so I burnt it to a CD-R). It seems Piko Interactive hacked the game to add mouse inversion by pressing F5. Otherwise it's stuck with inverted mouselook. But have the controls bound to WASD and press F5 and it's modern FPS controls. Movement is much better than in Chasm, but it still not as good of a game. I just prefer shooters with CQC rather than wide open spaces.