IGNORED

Source Code Not Resolvable?

TazzyB

Hi everybody,

I am new to the whole world of batariBasic and I have 2 issues which I cannot solve when compiling. I have compiled in the past and it has worked flawlessly, however something is wrong with my game code currently which I cannot resolve.

The first issue is that I have syntax checking on, however I still find indentation at the end of lines. I cannot stop this, and trying to remove them is a pain.

The second issue is with a fatal assembly error, as my source code is "not resolvable" the error looks like the following:

--- Unresolved Symbol List
scoretable               0000 ????         (R )

bytes of ROM space left

Fatal assembly error: Source is not resolvable.
Errors were encountered during assembly.

If anybody can help me, please do so. I apologize if this topic already exists.

warheads.bas

Edited by TazzyB
  • Thanks 1

The forums have had a recent change and it's still in progress, so please be patent if you have trouble attaching files. Speaking of files, can you post your .bas file so we can try to see what the problem is? If you don't want to post it publicly, you can always PM it to me.

Also, are you using the latest version of bB and VbB:

atariage.com/forums/topic/214909-bb-with-native-64k-cart-support-11dreveng/

atariage.com/forums/topic/123849-visual-bb-10-a-new-ide-for-batari-basic/page/28/?tab=comments#comment-3537039

16 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

Speaking of files, can you post your .bas file so we can try to see what the problem is? If you don't want to post it publicly, you can always PM it to me.

Also, are you using the latest version of bB and VbB:

Yes, I am using the latest version. Also, I know I shouldn't use tinkernut world, however the game is essentially not Tinkernut World anymore. The only thing left is the animation code. Anyways, this is just a little project which I am starting out with. I'm not gonna go spread the word of my "brand new game".

Edited by TazzyB

Can you talk more about the indentation at the end of lines? By end of line, you do mean the right side, not the left, correct? Are you talking about extra spaces? Have you noticed when it happens, for example, after hitting the Enter key?

Speaking of Tinkernut, have you seen these example programs:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_tinkernut_world_deluxe

28 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

Can you talk more about the indentation at the end of lines? By end of line, you do mean the right side, not the left, correct? Are you talking about extra spaces? Have you noticed when it happens, for example, after hitting the Enter key?

Speaking of Tinkernut, have you seen these example programs:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_tinkernut_world_deluxe

The indentation is at the right. By indentation at the end of lines, I mean that there is no actual empty space like one made from a keyboard, however I can highlight the blank character with my cursor. It happens intermittently, not after any specific event. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. 

Edited by TazzyB

I looked over the code and see nothing poking out at me. I use 3 spaces for auto indentation at the beginning of lines, so that's the only change I've made so far:

warheads_2019y_06m_22d_0950t.bas

It compiles for me and I don't see anything weird at the end of the lines.

4 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

Can you post a screenshot of your VbB settings page? And when you click on Help and select About Visual bB, what is the build number that is showing?

It is Build 554. By the way, my default emulator is z26, however nowadays I just use Stella.

screenshotofsettings.png

Edited by TazzyB

4 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

OK, that's an old version of VbB. You need Build 568, the one I posted a link to in my first reply. You might also want to look at this:

How to 'Install' Visual batari Basic on a Windows PC

Ok, I got build 568 but it still doesn't compile. I followed all the steps in the section you linked to.

1 hour ago, TazzyB said:

Ok, I got build 568 but it still doesn't compile. I followed all the steps in the section you linked to.

Are you sure that you used install_win.bat and did not set the bB Environment Variable or the bB Compiler System Path using VbB? (There should not be a check mark next to them on the settings page.)

22 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

Are you sure that you used install_win.bat and did not set the bB Environment Variable or the bB Compiler System Path using VbB? (There should not be a check mark next to them on the settings page.)

I didn't set the bB variable or the compiler path, however I can't find install_win.bat.

50 minutes ago, TazzyB said:

I didn't set the bB variable or the compiler path, however I can't find install_win.bat.

It comes with every version of batari Basic by RevEng. The latest version of bB is in a folder called bB.1.1d.reveng41 and that's where you will find install_win.bat.

50 minutes ago, TazzyB said:

Windows 10 64-Bit, restarted 5 minutes ago.

I recently got a new Windows 10, 64-Bit computer and installed VbB, bB, and Stella (the most popular Atari 2600 emulator) and everything is working great without needing to run as administrator or dealing with any of the problems earlier versions of Windows had with VbB.

What anti-virus program are you running?

3 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

I recently got a new Windows 10, 64-Bit computer and installed VbB, bB, and Stella (the most popular Atari 2600 emulator) and everything is working great without needing to run as administrator or dealing with any of the problems earlier versions of Windows had with VbB.

What anti-virus program are you running?

I have Windows Defender.

Are you sure you got your version of bB from this source to ensure you have the latest version?

Are you compiling in a "clean" directory that just has your source files to start?

If all else fails, I'd try a clean re-install from the link above - if it compiles on others' systems and not yours, then the issue is with your setup, and not your source.

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

Are you sure you got your version of bB from this source to ensure you have the latest version?

Are you compiling in a "clean" directory that just has your source files to start?

If all else fails, I'd try a clean re-install from the link above - if it compiles on others' systems and not yours, then the issue is with your setup, and not your source.

I already got the latest from Random Terrain's link to the forums.