IGNORED

ABASIC ver ??? on the Geneve

jedimatt42

I have a version of ABASIC for the Geneve, files: ABASIC1-4.  CALL VERSION(A)::PRINT A   outputs 300 - When it starts, it greets with MYBASIC 3.00

Question 1:  Is this the first version released by Myarc? 

I've seen amended documentation, from 1989 - Walt Howe, but it doesn't say which version of ABASIC it is for... I've seen version numbers implied elsewhere for 4.00 and 4.50... Walt Howe's manual notes refer to a version where the files are named: BASIC1-7 as provided by Myarc on the ABASIC disk.

Question 2: Which version is this manual update for? It says it was released by Lou (Phillips) at the Chicago fair ( in 1989 )

Question 3: What is the the latest version of Myarc Advanced BASIC for the Geneve 9640?

-M@

Jim Uzzel maintained the program until his passing.  His latest release was 4.04 and consisted of four files ABASIC1,2,3,4.  I released a minor fix as v4.05 after tracking down a problem with passing variables between basic and assembly - that was around 2013.

Jim updated the manual though I don't remember if he released it as a complete document.  I recall seeing  updated pages (even and odd) that called out changes.  Very few people used ABASIC yet Jim embraced it and worked to improve it, and wrote a fair number of programs that leveraged its features.  The BASIC is powerful and fast considering it is written in assembly, an offshoot of Myarc's XB II if the source code is any indication.

I don't think v3.0 was the first released version.  I don't any other intel to share.

• Like 4

Thank you for updating the CALL VERSION and the greeting!  

I found the 4.05 version on WHTECH, with a changelog from version 4.00 on... Nice to see that sort of thing!

----

It is indeed an impressive BASIC considering features and speed! 

-M@

9 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

I believe I have something like a version 2.99 on one of my old disks.

Jim did update the manual, but as Tim indicted, it was only for the pages that had changes or documented their correct usage.

Beery

I think ran into that on whtech... a zip of pages... 

http://ftp.whtech.com/Geneve/mdos/ABasic/MyBasicManualUpdates.ZIP   rtf's for each update page.

ABASIC 4.05  -  http://ftp.whtech.com/Geneve/@ABASIC405   -- this is an archive file. Maybe that's what people meant be the '@' in the name... 

ABASIC 3.00 full manual - without community amendments. http://ftp.whtech.com/Geneve/abasic_manual.pdf

-M@

( Retro Computing is more anthropology than computer science )

• Like 2

...with a bit of a bit of archeology and treasure hunting thrown in for good measure.

Changelogs and history are good things.  I have a strong dislike of minimally commented code.  And telling me a MOV instruction is moving a value does little good.  I prefer to know why the value is being moved or how it will be used.  But I digress.

Jim wrote Micropendium articles, too, so you might find related material there related to ABASIC.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Just to let folks know, I am about to release an update to Myarc's Advanced Basic Manual for the Geneve.  Jim Uzzell had created separate RTF files to update 90+ pages in the 260+ page manual.  I've now got them all incorporated into an ABasic V4.05 manual.  Someone else had created a very high resolution PDF scan of the original manual that I was then able to take and convert to a clean Word document before I started incorporating Jim's updates.

I just need to spend a few minutes going over the final formatting to make sure things line up pretty, and then I will make the document available.

There are also various versions of ABasic floating around in the V4.0x series, and the latest is V4.05 which fixed a CALL LINK issue @InsaneMultitasker fixed several years ago.  Not sure how many people have that version.

Anyways, in the next day or two, I hope to release that update.

Beery

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

There are also various versions of ABasic floating around in the V4.0x series, and the latest is V4.05 which fixed a CALL LINK issue @InsaneMultitasker fixed several years ago.  Not sure how many people have that version.

Will you be releasing the source together with the executables and manual? 

You probably already thought of this though if not I'd suggest a quick test of file IO to/from TIPI - including the CALL FILES (catalog) routine, with OS v7.x - before releasing.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...