IGNORED

The real powers of the Atari weren't Scrolling games with Sprites ;)

emkay

That would mean to have not only colored squares.

And the mirroring is only at the screen filling , not in the screen content.

Even more interesting: In the center of the screen, half filled chars could be used, and the PMg build the center of the room with a separated color  from the border.

The thing with char based textures is that it becomes looking wrong

when not doing it correct like raycasters do.... shading is no problem. I used that in Arsantica and one example had highres and 128 dithered chars version of the maze.

xxl. Is yours fish eye corrected?

9 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

xxl. Is yours fish eye corrected?

no, there is no correction and that is why there is a fish eye effect. it's not the only simplifications ... and there will be more ...

13 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

Look at first “textured” vector object called “stencil” vectors. They look definitely wrong without any Z.

You know, the Atari has that nifty possibility to turn the characters top down . So , if you do some adjustments on the top of the screen, you get the bottom right ....

8 hours ago, emkay said:

You know, the Atari has that nifty possibility to turn the characters top down . So , if you do some adjustments on the top of the screen, you get the bottom right ....

How should the texture look on an angled view?

But that’s not char based but “real” raycaster?

what do you want to achieve? I don’t get it. As raycasting is based on collum based rendering based on shooting rays through each screen X pos. Xxl does it for 40x and draws collums in 8x steps... with this you never achieve the look in the video.

I draw using the OS_PLOT function in any graphics mode (OS_GRAPHICS; x40, x80, x160, x320). the scene is drawn with vertical stripes in three steps (sky, walls, floor). The worst are the walls lying close (blocky) but it is the fault of a simpled distance calculation.

(x80/x48)

atari000.png

Edited by xxl
  • Like 4

Incredibly cool demo.  Now I'll sit back and listen to the non-coders argue about how they would do it, but they don't code, so they shit on everyone else who does.  Keep on, I am watching with incredible interest.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, xxl said:

I draw using the OS_PLOT function in any graphics mode (OS_GRAPHICS; x40, x80, x160, x320). the scene is drawn with vertical stripes in three steps (sky, walls, floor). The worst are the walls lying close (blocky) but it is the fault of a simpled distance calculation.

(x80/x48)

atari000.png

Oh, I was not aware of it was done in basic. And as higher resolution in X you need cos(deltaangle) fish eye correction to fight against distortion. ;)

8 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

But that’s not char based but “real” raycaster?

what do you want to achieve? I don’t get it...

I know ;)

I want to have a 3D looking game for the Atari. As much 3D as is needed for gameplay, as less resources using on the Atari, for best gameplay content.

HOW characters had to be set , to aid the "3D" projection, would be more clear, if such a engine is running ;)

7 hours ago, xxl said:

(x80/x48)

atari000.png

Hm. As far as I know, the OS routine also works on character modes...

Let's say 40x30 and 5 colors ?  ;)

On 6/23/2019 at 1:06 PM, emkay said:

Maybe  it is caused by the fact that non of those "great" 3D Engines found their way to a playable game?

And you know This char mode one will?!? And not yet doesn't mean never either...

26 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

And you know This char mode one will?!? And not yet doesn't mean never either...

Name it "chance enhancing of possibilities" . Of course someone who has skilled programming knowledege and is interested in creating a game for the Atari, should enter the room.  Either people state "it's not possible" or still were not interested , may result in a never ending story ;)

Well, particular Stunt Car Racer shows the direction. But that used mode costs a lot CPU cycles on the Atari.

As Mode D is always denied , there are those very low CPU using Modes that have been used in Basic.

As an addendum to be cleared: There is still the PMg...

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1