IGNORED

The real powers of the Atari weren't Scrolling games with Sprites ;)

emkay

Imagine a game that does 3D movement in character mode resolution. Then you stop and the appearing PMg allow the details, let's imagine a cannon where you have to find the degree for hitting the enemy ship, which is also drawn by PMg.

The Background is still changing a little (full Screen), while the gameplay is going.

Let's assume something like "voxel space" . Making the "3D scene" shaking after the bomb hits the enemy.... whatever.

The Atari is fast enough to handle two independent screens "overlaid" , but it can't if you put all CPU in some small PM shaping  on a full DMA Cycle stealing mode.

Edited by emkay

Now we are again on PM overlays/details?

as I said you jump around on topics and details are not relevant for you and so above the line and then again so vague that you never get somebody to follow... good or bad coder doesn’t matter I am afraid.

Actually, Sheddy's Space Harrier does 3 if not 4 "programs" at the same time.

1) The 3D projection

2) The DLI handling (animation)

3) The Protagonist movement

4) The digital speech

All with just the small 1.79MHz 6502.

2 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

In the end you want PM overlays over 3d since your first debates 15 years ago when you first discussed that “Gtia is our blitter”...

Where did I write that?

I wrote that ANTIC has that line "Blitter" , as is fills the second scanline from it's own memory, while the CPU isn't stopped.

2 minutes ago, emkay said:

1) The 3D projection

4) The digital speech

True but be careful with the word 3d projection as space harrier is a 2d game and there is no 3d-2d projection in terms of 3d engine envolved.

all movements and patterns and zoom levels are precalculated. I am nearly 100% sure there is not 1 byte of code doing what coders call “3d projection”.

there is a simple movemt table playing the animation. What you call 3d is what I call a big fake as I mentioned already.

• Like 1

Where did I write that?

I wrote that ANTIC has that line "Blitter" , as is fills the second scanline from it's own memory, while the CPU isn't stopped.

Since 2600 TIA there is a “blitter” repeating data over screen.

Just now, Heaven/TQA said:

True but be careful with the word 3d projection as space harrier is a 2d game and there is no 3d-2d projection in terms of 3d engine envolved.

all movements and patterns and zoom levels are precalculated. I am nearly 100% sure there is not 1 byte of code doing what coders call “3d projection”.

there is a simple movemt table playing the animation. What you call 3d is what I call a big fake as I mentioned already.

Not this again... This is just nitpicking.

The gameplay works on 3 axis . What exactly defines 3D ?

6 minutes ago, emkay said:

1) The 3D projection

4) The digital speech

Now it gets esoteric.... now every subroutine is called “program”?

every IRQ/NMI a program itself?

nonsense...

so RoF has

physics, 3d calculations, sound, enemies, bunkers, ...

and all on a small CPU? Man... let’s run linux on it...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, emkay said:

Not this again... This is just nitpicking.

The gameplay works on 3 axis . What exactly defines 3D ?

And as I wrote 10 years ago...

in your terms Qbert and Crystal Castle is 3d, in many others coders and academic world it

is not...

Just now, Heaven/TQA said:

Now it gets esoteric.... now every subroutine is called “program”?

every IRQ/NMI a program itself?

nonsense...

so RoF has

physics, 3d calculations, sound, enemies, bunkers, ...

and all on a small CPU? Man... let’s run linux on it...

You get esoteric ;)

Not to say that separated programs on such a small computer need IRQ handling.

And, please don't mix up things again.

I know, you don't understand the difference between a program that handles things, and a program that handles different things. That's why your Demos suffer in transitions. They simply have none ;)

You get esoteric ;)

Not to say that separated programs on such a small computer need IRQ handling.

And, please don't mix up things again.

I know, you don't understand the difference between a program that handles things, and a program that handles different things. That's why your Demos suffer in transitions. They simply have none ;)

How many transitions did you ever coded? 0?

I am sure I coded more than you ever will... and i don’t need to justify. I have not many what you call transitions because I simply did not code and don’t like to code those? Nothing more no “lack of knowledge etc”. Simply my personal decision. 

VBXE demos of mine have transitions, VIC20 Gnork has, Elements on Lynx have etc.

again? Show me how many you have done?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, R0ger said:

I'd say Qbert isn't 3d, but Crystal Castle is. The collision are clearly computed based on true 3D coordinates.

If so... then we might start to call that 3d... but I am sure that’s not what Master thinks.

2 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

If so... then we might start to call that 3d... but I am sure that’s not what Master thinks.

Q-Bert is just an Iso 3D Projection. The handling is 2D. The gameplay is 2D , so you could name it 2.5D (if such really exists ) .

Crystal Castle checks 3 dimensions for the gameplay. So it is isometric 3D.

3 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

A quote from your link...

3D computer graphics or three-dimensional computer graphics (in contrast to 2D computer graphics), are graphics that use a three-dimensional representation of geometric data (often Cartesian) that is stored in the computer for the purposes of performing calculations and rendering 2D images. Such images may be stored for viewing later or displayed in real-time.

What's the hard part to see the point?

3D is 3 Dimensions. Games that handle 3D by value for the Gameplay , ARE 3D.

How to reach that, is on an other paper.

You can reach that with just an interactive Movie

You can reach that by pre stored Data

You can reach that by calculation of the Content.

You can also mix them for a perfect impression.

8 hours ago, emkay said:

What's the hard part to see the point?

3D is 3 Dimensions. Games that handle 3D by value for the Gameplay , ARE 3D.

How to reach that, is on an other paper.

You can reach that with just an interactive Movie

You can reach that by pre stored Data

You can reach that by calculation of the Content.

You can also mix them for a perfect impression.

And to discuss it with coders that’s too vague as you lack experience in implementing such tech.

• Like 1

This has gone on for 7 pages now?

WOW!

While Play testers tell coders what's wrong all the time, sometimes they even have a clue about the code involved or have suggestions. That's not exactly the entire case here.

I haven't seen emkay share how to make such code, suggest to re-organize the code/re-order individual sections, or show any code to do whatever it is being conversed about. Maybe some example to prove the point so to speak, It's kind of a tough round a bout. Understanding how costly certain modes can be and choosing the lightest ones going into a project that looks like it will need every available cycle isn't such a bad idea, except those modes sometimes leave a lot to be desired in practical use for the given goal.

I always hope the heart is in the right place, but telling the coders they suck in so many words does not help one bit.

Trying my best to balance both sides here. I've probably failed miserably.

• Like 2