IGNORED

The real powers of the Atari weren't Scrolling games with Sprites ;)

emkay

13 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

And to discuss it with coders that’s too vague as you lack experience in implementing such tech.

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

This has gone on for 7 pages now?

WOW!

While Play testers tell coders what's wrong all the time, sometimes they even have a clue about the code involved or have suggestions. That's not exactly the entire case here.

I haven't seen emkay share how to make such code, suggest to re-organize the code/re-order individual sections, or show any code to do whatever it is being conversed about. Maybe some example to prove the point so to speak, It's kind of a tough round a bout.

Also a funny part would be , IF I was taking time to do some example code, they wouldn't understand what I was showing.

Remember? It took 2 decades till some other musician understood how POKEY builds modulated sounds, and till today I don't see or hear much POKEY tunes with stable modulated sounds made by others.  

So why should I put time into something completely useless?

Actually, I write this stuff to possibly reach people who have time and fun to code on the Atari, understanding what's really going on.

I did this small Basic demo recently.  Just to show some FX that would use almost no CPU time, more precisely , it uses extremely low Resources. It is fast enough to show something while the charset is converted from ROM to RAM and to have several chars changed while running.  The scrolling inside the window and the shaping with all those colors. Guess what is needed to have somthing going on on the whole screen. ( after 1:27 )

Imagine some engine, producing some 3D FX in it, and then play around with the characters, as shown on the screen.

To say it in other words: The used mode & the character changes, would leave more cycles for 3d Calculations than using Antic E or F

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, emkay said:

So why should I put time into something completely useless?

talking the simpsons GIF

And yes I have written at least 2 raycast "engines" just not on atari

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Osgeld said:

talking the simpsons GIF

And yes I have written at least 2 raycast "engines" just not on atari

The ironic part in it , you'll never get, even if you posted it, I'm guessing ;) . It hits the point with 100 percent of precision.  

30 minutes ago, MrFish said:

So on the side of the graph where people with a small amount of experience have great confidence, would those people be referred to as having Dunning-Kruger's Disease? :D

Disease.... hmmm....

Well, I didn't do thousands of Demos, But I did graphical enhancements , sound enhancements. I "accidently" won  a 1st place in an ABBUC contest (best Magazine Intro) . Together with Fandal and PG also "accidently" 1st place.

I did coding , SIO is no secret to me, I created some real fun games. Badly, some Disks got lost. But the "Atari Schiffeversenken and Admirandus outlived ;) ... Creating a disk format that could be loaded from the ST to the XL, SIO communications. Not to tell of the tools that had been needed for converting the pictures and stuff...

Using a computer is not just shifting some bits around. So , how many people in the Atari forums do have a better experience than me , using the Atari ?

In percentage? 1% , 0.1% 0.001% ?

I'd say ... probably less.... ;)

Edited by emkay
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, emkay said:

Diesease.... hmmm....

Well, I didn't do thousands of Demos, But I did graphical enhancements , sound enhancements. I "accidently" won  a 1st place in an ABBUC contest (best Magazine Intro) . Together with Fandal and PG also "accidently" 1st place.

I did coding , SIO is no secret to me, I created some real fun games. Badly, some Disks got lost. But the "Atari Schiffeversenken and Admirandus outlived ;) ... Creating a disk format that could be loaded from the ST to the XL, SIO communications. Not to tell of the tools that had been needed for converting the pictures and stuff...

Using a computer is not just shifting some bits around. So , how many people in the Atari forums do have a better experience than me , using the Atari ?

i think that stands for itself... you really really believe what you said? When first time read i first thought... what??? Did I read that right at the moment?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

i think that stands for itself... you really really believe what you said? When first time read i first thought... what??? Did I read that right at the moment?

Well, I did that without begging others for using and changing their code, or leaning other's experience, change a bit and tell "i'ts mine" . It's easy to sit on a Giant's shoulder . And that's exactly what I never did there, while your 3D stuff is all cropped from others. So please, stay silently here. 

Edited by emkay

32 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

32 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

I guess you missed this one from a couple of years ago then...

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, emkay said:

If people, who have nothing to say, still were saying nothing, my posts wouldn't always been dragged to look off topic. I know more of the A8 than 99% of the community. Even after explaining, why I don't code, only dumb comments come from them.

It's really ridiculous.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I guess you missed this one from a couple of years ago then...

Well, it's a horrible position, if you see people who write total crap getting supported by people who know nothing.

It's a "physical" thing that  technical stuff cannot be ruled with political forces. A Fly can try a million times to fly through a window. The  Glass will never break. You can vote for some different political law, but you cannot vote for changing physical laws.

5 minutes ago, adam1977 said:

You judge plenty of people on here, so don't point the finger at me ?

They judge at me without any evidence. So , if you don't want to be quoted , just don't write stuff that doesn't fit in any way.

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2019 at 3:19 PM, emkay said:

Not this again... This is just nitpicking.

The gameplay works on 3 axis . What exactly defines 3D ?

The definition of 3D would be something that makes computations for width, height, and depth - or something that computes the X, Y, and Z axes. Typically this involves many calculations and the use of connected polygons to create shapes.

A printer makes use of the X and Y Axis and prints a very convincing picture that looks like it has depth. But that doesn't make it a 3D printer.

9 hours ago, emkay said:

They judge at me without any evidence. So , if you don't want to be quoted , just don't write stuff that doesn't fit in any way.

You know mate, you obviously have some talent, judging by the demo you posted on this thread, the trouble is all of that and your knowledge is cancelled out somewhat by your massive ego and superior attitude; this is just the way you come across to me and I suspect many others ?

You obviously love the Atari 8-bit and have some talent, so why not just take the pole out of your keister? You'll probably get along much better with the community here ?

• Like 4

Just to show some FX that would use almost no CPU time, more precisely , it uses extremely low Resources. It is fast enough to show something while the charset is converted from ROM to RAM and to have several chars changed while running.  The scrolling inside the window and the shaping with all those colors. Guess what is needed to have somthing going on on the whole screen. ( after 1:27 )

is this a joke? writing 16 bytes to two chars from a font charset is a "FX" or something? wtf is this. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, emkay said:

Well, I did that without begging others for using and changing their code, or leaning other's experience, change a bit and tell "i'ts mine" . It's easy to sit on a Giant's shoulder . And that's exactly what I never did there, while your 3D stuff is all cropped from others. So please, stay silently here. 

haha... that's your opinion but again insulting me... I credit every stuff I took from others. I know ppl in forum who don't... and compared to you I have to admit I at least understand the shit I release. May it Probe's excellent 3d engine, Fox' excellent Duke Nukem Portal engine (which is public for everyone since 2001 btw...) and Tamas' Bene fast Raycaster which was unreleased since 1996. and looking at codebase64.org... there is more plenty of knowledge. Or at madteam's website.

I think what is difference between us... I try to learn and even learn new stuff on the programming side while you sit still there where you have been 15 years ago... moaning about PM underlays, 3D ANTIC D is the cure, RMT is shit, all others are muppets except me... etc etc etc... your history on forum shows it all clearly...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather listen to a proven coder than someone who tells people how to code..

Give a man a piece of code, and he will be busy for a day. Teach a man how to code, and you'll have a discussion that potentially run for a lifetime.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, emkay said:

I'd say ... probably less.... ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Give a man a piece of code, and he will be busy for a day. Teach a man how to code, and you'll have a discussion that potentially run for a lifetime.

Yup....

As for Emkays experience quote....Good lord, talk about him shooting himself in the foot..

For a man trying to exude understanding and ability, the use of the word experience was ill judged let alone demeaning to all the rest of us. Having 'experience' is so open its amazing that he claims such a hugely monumental level above all of us. Most of us on here have HUGE experience of the Atari across the board, if we remove experience as his key word and replace it with understanding then sure, it reduces the levels as although I like others have experience but I'm NOT a computer systems designer at chip logic level so my understanding of the exact workings of the Atari are much less than many but to put yourself at the levels he does is just fantasy.  Be it the understanding of the maths, logic, structure of coding or the realms of theoretical coding he elevates himself to a godly platform..

Seriously Emkay, get real old man...Or explain what you meant in a more detailed way...I have no ego to bruise when it comes to my level of machine understanding, I accept my limitations of understanding and have no wish to improve on them as I get near to 60, its a fun hobby and I enjoy it now, its NOT my life and its not the be all of things.

Shall we kneel before Zod?

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Thanks for the Example. Someone who don't know what it is all about, puts again some super-nonsense into the thread.

I wonder, if there will be the day , such a Thread will be kept in line.