IGNORED

The real powers of the Atari weren't Scrolling games with Sprites ;)

emkay

4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

So is the Lynx a 3D / solid computing power or does it have sprites and internal fancy stuff (was going to ask re DLI's but that was answered)...I know not a lot about the Lynx to be honest but those screens look very impressive..

I presume from the brute force comment that it relies on the raw ability to throw stuff on screen based on computational power?

The 6502c with 4mhz is balanced enough to feed Suzy which is a blitter based on sprites (so lacks all the fancy stuff you can do with Amiga blitter) but you can abuse Suzy to draw actually Polygons with stretch/tilt feature for sprites (1 pixel sprite scaled to a poly face) little bit similar to Saturn where Saturn is basicly a 2d console ;).

plus Suzy has maths 16x16 signed mul plus div inside which helps a lot in 3d calcs as you can even let it run in parallel to CPU. So you stArt maths operations but instead of waiting for result you cpu further and when ready you pull the result.

and maths is kumulative which helps on 3d matrix calculations as it keeps some results for later... so no reloading necessary etc.

the frame buffer is 4bit per pixel but works in virtua 512x512 coords Means sprite gets clipped by hardware.

in Elements demo I even used a nice trick (as I am God of Code :D;) ) to avoid those pixels needed to pack together... so the water fx in the end calculates data into a sprite (which can have any size!) structure... but only every 2nd pixel set...

and I tell Suzy when blitting to screen to basicly draw sprite 50% size.... and voila pixels merged automatically.... etc etc etc.

carts are not bankswitchted but a big “SSD” so you basicly load data of stream data into RAM.

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

So is the Lynx a 3D / solid computing power or does it have sprites and internal fancy stuff (was going to ask re DLI's but that was answered)...I know not a lot about the Lynx to be honest but those screens look very impressive..

I presume from the brute force comment that it relies on the raw ability to throw stuff on screen based on computational power?

Yeah, it has a HW sprite engine that can handle basically almost any size, so for 2D games, no such limits as on a classic Atari. Plus, HW clipping against screen edges.

But the Sprites run internally at 16 MHz and main CPU is 4 MHz. So, it's a different league, than 1.79 MHz.

Since there's just one resolution, display list functionality doesn't make sense. But interrupts are still possible - I just don't think it's as neat/cleann as on Atari, where you just flag certain image line for an interrupt. I suspect one must keep constantly checking the currently processed vertical line till it reaches the one you want (and only then adjust color registers). I'm not that far with Lynx, yet - Heaven certainly knows that better.

But, since you have 16 on-screen colors (unlimited), there's much less need to bring more colors.

Also, you can have Suzy compute division and multiplication in parallel for free (it takes some cycles, but CPU keeps running in parallel), so you don't have to waste RAM with look up tables, which is really nice.

• Like 2

Thanks VladR for that, quite the little machine.....

Could have been so much more...

Oops, missed your post Heaven, just read it now...Again, thanks for the info...I do hope both of you ran this past The Master for accuracy....He knows you know ;) 

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Thanks VladR for that, quite the little machine.....

Could have been so much more...

Oops, missed your post Heaven, just read it now...Again, thanks for the info...I do hope both of you ran this past The Master for accuracy....He knows you know ;) 

Actually we both have no clue... so fair enough... ;) but who am I... me just a singer in a long hair rock'n roll band... ;)

btw... I totally see "no transitions" in my Lynx demo... ;)

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 1

Lol......I swear I saw a quoted reply (don't see his posts now he's on ignore) where he said that he never said he was a coder yet all the same he lectures coders.....Now that is trolling on a new level..

• Like 3

He's one troll I don't have on ignore, because I enjoy reading his "trolling" and other's smack-down responses that he keeps coming back for more in some strange masochistic way!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I understand, he was attacking you as a troll himself (LOL!), I was actually surprised he didn't include me in that post too, since I often make fun of him in my posts. Though maybe it's because we actually get along OK in his POKEY music and the Rastaconverter threads...he doesn't act the troll in those that I've seen.

17 hours ago, VladR said:

So, emkay - does that qualify as Atari 8-bit 3D for you ? Or, I just don't know what I'm talking about ?

Actually, I don't understand your post.

The Lynx is 10 year newer tech than the 800 . The Base CPU is much faster. The Graphics has a real zoom feature.

And please, don't name "Mode D" "emkay's Mode" . The Mode is done by the Developer of ANTIC, to get fast screen handling, less CPU Cycle stealing while the Screen gets filled. 

I'm just pointing to that.

The screenshots look very good. But for the Lynx it is not impossible. 

31 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I understand, he was attacking you as a troll himself (LOL!), I was actually surprised he didn't include me in that post too, since I often make fun of him in my posts. Though maybe it's because we actually get along OK in his POKEY music and the Rastaconverter threads...he doesn't act the troll in those that I've seen.

I didn't mention you, because you're doing stuff for the Atari. Your only mistake is that you react on his posts, feeding him.

In other threads he treated people hard , they reacted and got kicked. I wonder why it is allowed to him.

Show me ONE thread where I started trolling ... btw.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, emkay said:

I didn't mention you, because you're doing stuff for the Atari. Your only mistake is that you react on his posts, feeding him.

In other threads he treated people hard , they reacted and got kicked. I wonder why it is allowed to him.

Show me ONE thread where I started trolling ... btw.

I'll take your word for it that you are reacting and not instigating. In any case, I have fun reading what you post, and not always because of the reactions you get or give. But sometimes it's a bit much so I inject an off-hand remark post.

But I see him getting treated hard much more than him treating other hard, most of the time I don't see him starting anything either, just reacting.

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Good joke. I never begged for that.

Btw. You attacked me first and directly, while I only hold your mirror.

You know what... you turn every shit towards others and I bet never ever say to yourself “my fault appologies”...  welcome finally to my ignore list, too. But you could be proud... the first and only one.

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 1