IGNORED

New FPGA cores for Mist, MCC216, MCCTV, Chameleon and Chameleon 2

foft

I've been back-porting some of the EclaireXL features to the various FPGA boards. I've just uploaded the latest core builds to my site, for many of them its the first update in 3 years so I thought its reasonable to announce it here.

There are more details here, including highlights on the changes:

http://www.64kib.com/redmine/news/57

Please let me know how you get on. I tested each board individually as I went but due to time I can not reasonably go through every single version!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 10:38 AM, vanfanel said:

Hi Foft! This is AWESOME! I have been YEARS waiting for this to happen! I am testing the MCC-216 and Altera DE1 version when it comes out, as my "old" DE1 is an Atari800 these days :D

Thanks for this, this core is so important to me...

Thanks for the encouragement and prodding to get me to update these. I've just updated them again, adding profile support and pll switching to the mcc216, mcctv and mist.

Not sure when I'll update the DE1, but for when I do ... how is your board set up? Wire for sio2pc and minimig style joystick ports?

• Like 1

@foft: I dont have a SIO2PC, just minimig-style joystick ports on the DE1. I build those for the MSX core, and they happen to work with your Atari 800 core (which is what my DE1 has always flashed since I discovered it, thus becoming one of my Atari 800 computers, along with the Mcc-216).

• 1 year later...

@foft: I've noticed that the latest builds (on MiST), has problems with disk writes: they always results in Error-138 (timeout), then the firmware goes crazy, F11, F12 no more work. I think the problem started somewhere around the firmware fork (firmware_legacy and firmware_exclairexl), as it works with some older versions from 2019.

I've did some tests, and I suspect it's because of the image is considered read-only (at least while I've worked on the change below, it was an issue).

Meanwhile I've finished the full "Mistification" of the core, and uploaded the results here:

https://github.com/gyurco/Atari800XL/commits/mist

Can you integrate it to your source tree please?

Global changes are almost zero (two #ifdefs in main.h only).

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 7:45 AM, foft said:

Yes that would make sense, since there is a writeprotect pin on EclaireXL. Perhaps I wired it up wrong - and it has a bug that crashes if protected!

Many thanks for the mistification. I’ll merge that and fix this bug.

Just to confirm I now have the mist out and can confirm - yeah it doesn't write and seems to hang the ZPU as reported.

Edit: Adding more details here rather than a gallion posts:

i) There is no use of the write protect flag from the sd in the firmware yet. I pass in 0 but it is never read.

ii) No clear reason why the write fails yet, perhaps some subtlety of the mist sd card emulator.

iii) To check the firmware on another none-eclaireXL target I'm going to try writes on the MCC216, which is almost identical.

First things first, trying to update user_io and sd_card...

Edited by foft

The latest user_io and sd_card from https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-modules don't seem to allow reading from the sd. Though perhaps I wired it up wrong, it wasn't so clear what some new signals were meant to be. e.g. clk_sd vs clk_sys on user io and clock_sys on the sd_card. Is clk_sd my system clock, and the others are CLOCK_27? I tried a few variants with no luck. Also some of the strobes don't seem to have a counterpart on the other side, I wonder if they are in sync on github?

I've attached the diff for my attempt: can you see anything I wired up wrong?

Back to plan B:check the mcc216 writes which will confirm at least if the firmware side is good. i.e. if its a mist adaptor issue or not.

changes.diff

Well writes are working on the mcc216, which has a real sd card. I expect its something sd card emulation related but will need to take a look another time I think.

I did notice though that I forgot to add a file, which meant no arg file generated for the mcc216. Also the pll reconfiguration does not work properly on it for some reason (it has its own sd ram controller, probably that...)! So better fix that too.

Edited by foft

4 hours ago, foft said:

Well writes are working on the mcc216, which has a real sd card. I expect its something sd card emulation related but will need to take a look another time I think.

I did notice though that I forgot to add a file, which meant no arg file generated for the mcc216. Also the pll reconfiguration does not work properly on it for some reason (it has its own sd ram controller, probably that...)! So better fix that too.

The mcc216 hang is due to the stopped clock while the pll is reconfigured from pal ->ntsc or back. In fact its just the ps2 key up event missed, so the key is stuck down (until the same key pressed/released again). It worked when I tested it since I tested with the USB keyboard.

Back onto the mist issue...

Edit: weird thing on mist, a straight rebuild works! I did add a SPI_SCK to the sdc file, perhaps that was all that was needed. Nope, straight build alone works. Strange...

Edited by foft

10 minutes ago, foft said:

Uploaded/merged the mistified version, thanks slingshot.

Note that the rom format and location changed. See the rom.txt I put with the release.

Also make sure to update the mist firmware to something fairly recent!

Where is your website?  Can you post a link to this newly updated Atari800XL MiST core, please?  Thank You!!