IGNORED

1010 Recorder Replacement Belts?

800_Rocks

Where can I buy new belts for the 1010 Recorder?

Also...  I'm new in this Forum and I can use some searching tips.  I tried searching on all these strings and came up empty.  What am I doing wrong?    "1010"  "1010 recorder"  "1010 belt"    

Scored a 1010 for $20 today! Please read if you can help me with read errors. Thanks!

Originally no movement but could hear the motor whirling so I figure just a belt so I offered $20 and the seller accepted. Got it home, Opened it up and could not find the belt!! Missing belt I thought... then taking a closer look the belt is melted onto the circuit board! It was like tar, crazy sticky. Got it all cleaned up nice. I have some replacement cassette belts of various sizes. I replaced the little belt on the tape counter and the main belt. Are there just the two belts? I’m not positive on the belt sizes I had but made sure the tension on new belts was good. All functions now seem to work, RR, FF, Record, Play, etc. However I can’t read or load any tapes. I wrote a 2 line BASIC program out with CSAVE it seemed to work but CLOAD fails with 140 Serial Frame Error or with 143 Checksum Error. Does this point to a wrong size belt or other issue? I did clean the heads. BTW on a game load, ‘States and Capitals’ I can hear some voice audio from the game so the audio channel may be working although maybe with some static noise. The data channel sounds right to me when I wrote out my small program. However, on read the sounds of the data load don’t sound right... sound like deep noises rather than high pitched sounds. It’s been 35 years but I don’t think the sound is right. See other comments on the pictures.

IMG_4162.JPG

IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_4156.JPG

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4158.JPG

Ebay seems to have a lot of belts for 1010 Cassettes

It looks like there may be at least 2 different models.

Not got a 1010 myself so can't really say, I have an old 410 (really hard to get belts for that)

and an XC12

Just search for Atari Cassette Belts

• Like 1

It looks like your have the 1010 version with flat belt, or am I wrong?

I got that kind of belt from an audio repair parts website. I'll check my records and post here. 

As far as I remember, there is a Japanese 1010 version and there are two 1010 made in Hong Kong versions. So check carefully which 1010 you have

Edited by manterola

Here is the belt I got for the 1010 version with flat belt. 

As you can see in one of the pictures, this 1010 is made by Chelco, just like the one you posted. 

I could not  find the official size of the belt so I measured the best I could. It is working correctly, or good enough for me. 

This is the site I order my belts, I remember I ordered 3 belts, like one size up and one size down, just in case since there are cheap, after adding the shipping costs are not that cheap but the unit price is good. 

Enjoy! 

https://www.audiolabga.com/data_html/79-10.55.html

DSC_0267_40p.JPG

DSC_0235_40p.JPG

DSC_0234_40p.JPG

• Like 2

On 6/23/2019 at 7:53 AM, 800_Rocks said:

Also...  I'm new in this Forum and I can use some searching tips.  I tried searching on all these strings and came up empty.  What am I doing wrong?    "1010"  "1010 recorder"  "1010 belt"   

It's not just you - the forum got a major update last week, and the search index is rebuilding, so its difficult to find stuff for the time being.

Very nice cleanup job there. I've never seen one melt quite that bad before...

• Like 1

BTW, the main problem wit HK Chelco 1010s is not the melted belt. The flat belt sourcing is solved, and the cleaning the messy but doable (both Chelco 1010s I got both came with the melted belt). But also both came with a cracked little pinion or gear, so it works as long as you keep it upside down, otherwise the wheel with the metallic center falls down.

Check this thread where we discussed about this common problem. I hope it is not your case.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 10:10 PM, manterola said:

As you can see in one of the pictures, this 1010 is made by Chelco, just like the one you posted. 

I could not  find the official size of the belt so I measured the best I could. It is working correctly, or good enough for me. 

This is the site I order my belts, I remember I ordered 3 belts, like one size up and one size down, just in case since there are cheap, after adding the shipping costs are not that cheap but the unit price is good. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks!  I ordered one 79-10.55 belt from AudioLab.  I hope I have good luck with it too.    https://www.audiolabga.com/data_html/79-10.55.html

On 6/23/2019 at 10:10 PM, manterola said:

Enjoy! 

Update:  With this belt (see my prior post) my Hong Kong 1010 version now works!!  I've loaded 6+ games/programs from tape.  Boy this really takes me back to 1982!  The separate read heads for audio and data is really an innovative feature.  For example:  When loading 'States and Capitals' there's nice music to pass the time along with a guy in a 'radio voice' who tells about some of the features of the game.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...