IGNORED

Identify 800 Memory Card

800_Rocks

Can you help identify this memory card in the 3rd slot of a newly acquired 800.  I don't spot any names on the boards themselves.  How much memory is this and who is the manufacturer?   The other two slots had Atari 16K cards.  PRINT FRE(0) shows '37902' as if it has 48K.  Thanks!!

IMG_4154.JPG

IMG_4153.JPG

MM5290 is a 16k x 1 bit IC - which should make this a 32K board.

An unmodified 800 can only access 48K Ram so in theory if your other boards are 16K each you could probably take one out - slots should be populated such that the furthest back one is empty.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rybags said:

MM5290 is a 16k x 1 bit IC - which should make this a 32K board.

An unmodified 800 can only access 48K Ram so in theory if your other boards are 16K each you could probably take one out - slots should be populated such that the furthest back one is empty.

Yep. One of my 800’s has a similar (but not identical) 3rd party 32K board sitting in slot two, giving me 48K and an empty slot. I hope to someday find a BIT3 board to slot into there, or better yet, hope one of our resident hardware experts will get a bug up his or her bum and design a modern video upgrade that resides in slot 3 to provide an 80-column display. Ideally, it would be something a lot like the VBXL/VBXE but targeted at an 800. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

Yep. One of my 800’s has a similar (but not identical) 3rd party 32K board sitting in slot two, giving me 48K and an empty slot. I hope to someday find a BIT3 board to slot into there, or better yet, hope one of our resident hardware experts will get a bug up his or her bum and design a modern video upgrade that resides in slot 3 to provide an 80-column display. Ideally, it would be something a lot like the VBXL/VBXE but targeted at an 800. :)

+1 (just bought a monochrome monitor in case a Bit3 turns up here - will use it for my XEP80 in the meantime)

Thanks I will try taking out the 'furthest back' 16K card and see if she still shows 48K.  In the meantime is there any chance the 'extra' 16K could be used as a Ramdisk?  Also, Odd that there are no mfg markings/names on the cards.  Must have been a no-name knock-off card.

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

See, I'm hoping for an 80 column card with a 65816 co-processor, 16Mb RAM plus SD mass media storage plus WiFi plus... ;)