IGNORED

Disk Catlogger

toddtmw

I have acquired a huge collection of floppies with binary games on it. Each disk is numbered and labeled, but I’d like to make a master list of everything. 

What is is the best utility for a real A8 that I can use to catalog them all?  I’d like to be able to do a brute force catalog of them all and then be able to supplement the data with more information. For instance since they only have 8+3 disk directories, it would be nice to be able to go back and key the real name. 

Obviously, I’d want to be able to enter the disk number/name as I am scanning the disks and then be able to sort it many different ways. (Name, disk, size, etc...)

thank you. 

Heh... the "Best" is probbaly SynFile+, but after unearthing my dads disk catalog database that spanned two disks, I can attest nowadays its not worth the effort. The processing power of a simple excel spreadsheet on a modern computers is so many times order of magnitude faster.

Sorting / indexing which took 30 minutes to hours in SynFile+ is essentially instantaneous in Excel... :o

maybe still fun to use for the data entry though!

check out this thread: 

Hehe. 

I started the topic you linked. 

Im actually looking for a utility that will ask for the disk number. I insert it and it reads the disk TOC and stores it then asks for the next disk number. 

Then it it allows me to then edit and add to it from there. 

53 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

I started the topic you linked.

Oh right, hah! My poor observation when replying on the phone. :)

A tool youre looking for should be easy to make, so something is likely to exist. it would only have to dump the directory contents, linked to a specified disk name as you suggested...

Heh! I actually started working on a disk cataloguer many years ago. It supported several DOS and menu formats. It was going to be published by Derek Fern at Micro Discount but then he wanted it to support the faster menu formats. He upgraded my 1050 to a US Doubler for free so I could do it but the project eventually fell by the wayside despite probably being some 90% complete.

I probably still have the source code on one of my floppies, assuming it still works.

Christ! Just found this from a previous attempt to resurrect the project. Life got in the way again.

My Atari Magazine article about Menu Print

Edited by Tickled_Pink
  • Like 3