Jump to content
ryanr256

Popped some power supplies :(

Recommended Posts

Finished putting a Newell 256k RAM upgrade into a 1200xl. Flipped the rocker on the surge protector to test the install and I get nothing. Try the 2 1050s plugged into the same strip and nope, no power either.

 

So, I take my spare PS and plug it directly into the wall. The 1200xl's power led comes on. Plug the PS into the surge protector (I should have known better, I know) and I hear a "click" and no power.

 

Looks like they may have just blown a fuse. I'll have to cut them open to find out.

 

Damn.

 

-Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dump the power strip and plug One of the 9VAC bricks right into the wall. Measure the unloaded output of the transformer. It should read around 10.5VAC unloaded. If it does your brick is fine. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

Maybe the surge protector has done its surge protection duty and now needs a decent burial?  Or maybe I misunderstood the series of events...

The surge protector is the issue. Yes, it needs a decent burial.

 

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

Dump the power strip and plug One of the 9VAC bricks right into the wall. Measure the unloaded output of the transformer. It should read around 10.5VAC unloaded. If it does your brick is fine. 

I'm not getting anything out of the bricks. That's why I'm hoping it's just a blown fuse.

 

-Bob

Edited by ryanr256

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ryanr256 said:

The surge protector is the issue. Yes, it needs a decent burial.

 

I'm not getting anything out of the bricks. That's why I'm hoping it's just a blown fuse.

 

-Bob

Almost to a certainty, as I've yet to see burned up wingdings in any Atari step down transformer block since 1978. It's going to be the fuse, a joint, connection, sometimes a wire or connector/plug. Always an easy fix costing zero to little for a fix.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Almost to a certainty, as I've yet to see burned up wingdings in any Atari step down transformer block since 1978. It's going to be the fuse, a joint, connection, sometimes a wire or connector/plug. Always an easy fix costing zero to little for a fix.

The tough part is going to be breaking into the brick. I should be able to cut through the plastic pretty easily though.

 

-Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've posted how to open them as had others, and some pictures as well, if done carefully you won't really notice they were even opened.

Pictures of opened stepdown transformer block case

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/131012-power-supply-question-800-810/?do=findComment&comment=3709599

 

several more such pictures and threads covering this including other styles, screws under the feet, glued, etc. are on the forums. I posted the last one I remembered anything about.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I've posted how to open them as had others, and some pictures as well, if done carefully you won't really notice they were even opened.

Pictures of opened stepdown transformer block case

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/131012-power-supply-question-800-810/?do=findComment&comment=3709599

 

several more such pictures and threads covering this including other styles, screws under the feet, glued, etc. are on the forums. I posted the last one I remembered anything about.

Thanks for the info.

 

-Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of them I blew the fuses on; as others have said, the most likely culprit. I also had to cut them open, using my trusty Dremel. I really wasn't worried about how they looked though, since they are always tucked away under the desk or whatever, so I just wrapped them in duct tape. I did use black duct tape though. I suppose I could have glued them or whatever, but they are easily opened again now if I should blow the fuses again.

Edited by Gunstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ryanr256 said:

The surge protector is the issue. Yes, it needs a decent burial.

But... is the surge protector more than a MOV/breaker-protected power strip?  Because I can't see how something like that can destroy a power supply.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ChildOfCv said:

But... is the surge protector more than a MOV/breaker-protected power strip?  Because I can't see how something like that can destroy a power supply.

If the strip is live or reversed in polarity depending on how it is switched.... plugging in the device side of the block while still plugged into the strip 'you think is off but is not' can pop a fuse...

If the strip has no off switch or the off switch is stuck in the on position the same thing can occur.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

But... is the surge protector more than a MOV/breaker-protected power strip?  Because I can't see how something like that can destroy a power supply.

The surge protector is old.

 

The power supplys were plugged into the surge protector and into the 1200xl/1050s. I turned the surge protector on and the power supplys died.

 

I don't know if a spike from turning the surge protector on caused the issue. Once I open one of the power supplys and am able to easily replace a fuse I can do more testing. I should be able to work on this before the weekend.

 

-Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fuse type is a pig tail, you will need a soldering iron, I suggest putting in a re-settable breaker or fuse holder so you can change the fuse at will in the future...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm bringing this back up because, well, I'm an idiot.

 

No, seriously. IDIOT.

 

I hope you all won't revoke my hobbyist card over this. The reason the fuses popped on the power supplies is that I had left the bottom half of the shielding in place and the metal was shorting the pins on the power input.

 

Damn.

 

I cut open one of the bricks and soldered in a new fuse. It popped as soon as I turned on the 1200XL. I put in a new fuse, disconnected the cord from the computer and plugged in the brick. The fuse held. I measured the voltage (AC) at the plug and it was 10.4 volts. I said to myself, "OK something's going on with the computer. A simple memory upgrade shouldn't cause a short in the power."

 

That's when I realized what was happening.

 

So, I get to wear the idiot tag for a while.

 

Now I'll find a fuse holder and a project box to put the guts of the brick in.

 

Damn.

 

-Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

If you were careful, you can just glue or screw the bricks back together... It probably won't even be noticed.

On this one I wasn't careful. I used a dremel to cut the case. I will be less destructive with the others.

 

-Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried cutting with a knife and force a little with a screwdriver. Bad idea, it was to tight and glued together that the plastic broke (not the glue). 

The good part is that I replaced the fuse and now I have a new power supply for my xf551. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 8:44 PM, manterola said:

I tried cutting with a knife and force a little with a screwdriver. Bad idea, it was to tight and glued together that the plastic broke (not the glue). 

The good part is that I replaced the fuse and now I have a new power supply for my xf551. 

 

I did the same. That's why I used the Dremel to cut it open. I could still probably tape it back together. I do want to add a fuse holder to it.

 

-Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...