IGNORED

Altirra 3.20 released

phaeron

Well to be fair older OS's like XP are not supported now as Win 7 (what I use) will also not be supported soon unless the user pay MS at their request (I believe) to continue support but the bottom line is that new OS's tend to offer newer features while also offering a continued support for safety for our data. I've shied away from Win 10 after taking advice from people who know their stuff because the main guts of my rig is considered 'old' but eventually I'll probably leap ship and board Win 10 just so I get continued cover.

As the emulator develops more need to be based in Win 10 for evolution and features that will also have a say as to what OS I use.

Again its more about the OS environment rather than the choice of emulator per the remarks by Stephen, emulator authors will support what they like but in truth keeping up with the OS's is a needed part.

8 hours ago, oo7 said:

right, but telling someone that it's not 1995 it's 2019 when the goal is to run 1979 is very how do I say it? foolish. maybe trolling.

No it’s not in the context of the conversation. If you don’t get that, in an internet conversation referring to electronic security of obsolete host operating systems, that’s on you. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

No it’s not in the context of the conversation. If you don’t get that, in an internet conversation referring to electronic security of obsolete host operating systems, that’s on you. 

I understand that part but again host os security is probably not the concern on someone who is most likly using a left over old machine to emulate an A8 and I thought that comment was a bit much.

Further more if host OS security was the main issue windows 7 should also not be supported. it is very eol at this point.

I personally understand XP not being supported. I just dont understand why someone not the developer needed to be rude about what year it is.

In my opinion Windows <10.1 shouldnt be used at this point but that is a different topic.

Edited by oo7

41 minutes ago, oo7 said:

I understand that part but again host os security is probably not the concern on someone who is most likly using a left over old machine to emulate an A8 and I thought that comment was a bit much.

Further more if host OS security was the main issue windows 7 should also not be supported. it is very eol at this point.

I personally understand XP not being supported. I just dont understand why someone not the developer needed to be rude about what year it is.

In my opinion Windows <10.1 shouldnt be used at this point but that is a different topic.

It was a rude response directed at a rude response by a generally rude person.  Try going to a Microsoft forum and demand (not ask) that they make the latest Office 365 run on Windows XP and see what response you get.  As Dr. Venkman said it was all about the context here.

• Like 1

Jesus... this is dragging on a bit. I imagine the developer is less interested in whether the user's target OS is fully patched than he is in how much of a PITA it is to keep producing emulator builds for a twenty year old OS while simultaneously having to make the thing work with the newest frameworks. If the API and IDEs just stayed the same for decades, this would present no problem at all, but they don't, so one has to cut ties with XP at some point.

Stephen's comment did not - as far as I can see - seek to imply that security patching or lack thereof is in any way a motivating factor to the dropping of XP support. He appeared to make the perfectly reasonable point that if you want to keep up to date with the latest versions of your favourite actively developed Windows applications, running XP in 2019 is eventually going to become a sticking point.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

It was a rude response directed at a rude response by a generally rude person.  Try going to a Microsoft forum and demand (not ask) that they make the latest Office 365 run on Windows XP and see what response you get.  As Dr. Venkman said it was all about the context here.

ok. I was just saying there is no need to be rude. maybe I should of just continued on my way. I didnt mean to start anything.

Im going to shut up now.

I believe it can as a controller as long as you get one of those USB bar things that the Wii uses, the Wii-mote can be used in other emulators like Dolphin iirc.

Be warned, its a little laggy from memory...

Just had a look, search for a Mayflash Dolphin bar like this..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mayflash-W010-Dolphin-Bar-Wireless/dp/B00HZWEB74/ref=asc_df_B00HZWEB74/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310689469388&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10912917628164195966&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045967&hvtargid=pla-433088001002&psc=1

Once on it will just look like a controller to windows with none of the point capability useful to Altirra....Probably will only use the D-PAD, probably not the nunchuk?

Edited by Mclaneinc

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

I believe it can as a controller as long as you get one of those USB bar things that the Wii uses, the Wii-mote can be used in other emulators like Dolphin iirc.

Be warned, its a little laggy from memory...

Just had a look, search for a Mayflash Dolphin bar like this..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mayflash-W010-Dolphin-Bar-Wireless/dp/B00HZWEB74/ref=asc_df_B00HZWEB74/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310689469388&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10912917628164195966&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045967&hvtargid=pla-433088001002&psc=1

Once on it will just look like a controller to windows with none of the point capability useful to Altirra....Probably will only use the D-PAD, probably not the nunchuk?

That bar is just for the motion stuff, although it might be useful as a light gun?
The wii remote should be able to show as a HID bluetooth device, however my Win 10 laptop is being a dick and will not install properly, it's my work laptop so I won't go any further.
Have nicked my daughters PS3 controller for now, it's OK until my USB atari stick to USB adapter turns up 

Thanks

1 hour ago, mimo said:

That bar is just for the motion stuff, although it might be useful as a light gun?
The wii remote should be able to show as a HID bluetooth device, however my Win 10 laptop is being a dick and will not install properly, it's my work laptop so I won't go any further.
Have nicked my daughters PS3 controller for now, it's OK until my USB atari stick to USB adapter turns up 

Thanks

connecting newer wii motes to a pc under windows without the right bluetooth stack is next to impossible and dodgy.

I originally wanted to do this since I have 2 wiis and 8 wiimotes in the house. Gave up and got PC light guns.

• Like 1

Found out what you mean BUT after trying the Toshiba stack and getting nowhere I found a program called Wii Pair and I'm sitting here playing Klonoa on the on Dolphin with it now :0

Can't promise it will fix yours but I'm a happy bunny :)

WiimoteMT.zip

Bad news, no go with Altirra, just tried...

Edited by Mclaneinc

8 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Found out what you mean BUT after trying the Toshiba stack and getting nowhere I found a program called Wii Pair and I'm sitting here playing Klonoa on the on Dolphin with it now :0

Can't promise it will fix yours but I'm a happy bunny :)

WiimoteMT.zip 206.18 kB · 1 download

Bad news, no go with Altirra, just tried...

worth a shot thanks. will report back after I try it.

23 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

?MG! - I just walked into this room only to find 15 pages of stuff!  I seriously only want a PC based 5200 emulator that can play all the games I have on my Multicart.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Is there a shortcut anywhere or I will I have to come back later, who knows when, I'll have hours to burn?

Yes, there's a link to the Altirra download page in the first post in the thread.  The initial setup should take only a few minutes: after downloading and unpacking the archive and launching Altirra, I believe you only need to point it to your copy of the 5200 OS ROM, set the Atari 5200 hardware profile as the default, and configure your controller(s).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

Yes, there's a link to the Altirra download page in the first post in the thread.  The initial setup should take only a few minutes: after downloading and unpacking the archive and launching Altirra, I believe you only need to point it to your copy of the 5200 OS ROM, set the Atari 5200 hardware profile as the default, and configure your controller(s).

Sounds good, except the copy of the 5200 OS ROM, I guess I'll have to go hunting first.  Thanks.

Found the 5200 ROM << HERE >> that was easy (for a change).

Edited by --- Ω ---
Updated

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test19.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test19-src.zip

• AltirraOS bumped to 3.23, fixes an issue with the SIO routine sending the first command byte too quickly after asserting the command line, which was causing out-of-spec timings. Also fixes a possible conflict between the disk boot and PBI devices that may issue pre-boot SIO calls, and an issue with the Break key on the boot screen.
  • Drive sounds are now queued in audio groups internally so that seek sounds can be superceded. This prevents seek sounds from piling up when running with SIO patch enabled, since the disk operation completes before the seek sound does.
  • Added settings in Configure System > Display to control mouse pointer visibility.
  • The Adjust Colors dialog can now load and save color settings to files, and also fixed some issues with color axis labels. Red/green/blue have been relabeled as color differences R-Y/G-Y/B-Y to be more accurate.
  • The Hue Start setting now has a different meaning for PAL quirks mode: it now means the angle of hue 1 in I-Q space for consistency with the other modes, instead of the weird value meaning it had before.
  • The hue start setting is no longer locked in PAL high artifacting mode, which now supports this setting.
  • The default PAL preset has been tweaked a bit to better conform to some color palette screenshots from PAL systems. The hue step has been lowered to show the characteristic PAL color band jumps and to make the Gr.0 screen a bit less greenish, and the hue start has been set to -12 degrees from +I to align hue 1 with the PAL swinging colorburst.

Regarding Wiimotes, the last time I tried interfacing one with the PC the motion tracking was too heavily damped to be of use as a light gun or even a mouse replacement. Image-based light gun emulation is also problematic due to video latency.

As for Windows XP, support for it is still going to be dropped but the switchover has been delayed because the new VS2019 compiler took longer than expected and I'm waiting for some bugs to be fixed. The 3.90 test builds currently are still built with VS2017 in XP targeting mode and will still run on XP SP2. What I can promise is that the switch is going to happen and when XP compatibility breaks, it will be really broken -- you'll get an error on start due to the minver being raised in the executable header, so no ambiguity about whether it'll work or not.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Lol...Yeah, I've had the same wish :)

If that mouse pointer thing is what I think it is then thank you Avery, well spotted :)

As for the Wiimotes, sorry about it spilling in to the beta thread, under Dolphin its handles ok but my Mayflash is on the way, I don't expect miracles and I can just rig up my real Wii if needed :)  As a use on Altirra, I'll take your very technical word on it and carry on using my XBOX360 controller.

Thank you for the quality update!

Is there a document about the debug features, other than the help menu in Altirra and the help from the command line in the debugger?

I'm a new (noob) user of the debugger and would like to know a little about the Watch windows, and some examples for the use of the heatmap.

I started using the ##trace and ##assert commands from a mads listing, and they are great for logging values and checking conditions.
But for my current problem, it would be great to be able to enable/disable "asserts" from the source, or something similar.
My idea would be to trap any write to a small table, when it comes from "invalid" code only.
Would you say this is already possible, using conditional breakpoints (bx) and using a condition like "(pc != valid_code_adr1) and (pc != valid_code_adr2) ..",

listing all the valid code addresses?

Also, would it be too difficult (or slow) to have a Memory window that is updated once per frame?
I know about the watch commands, but sometimes you need more than 8 watches :)

Greetings - I'm a new user of the forums, Altirra, and a recent new owner of an 800 XL. I have a few questions. 

I was looking online for Atari Basic programs or games to type in, and a lot of the programs I find are just dumped .BAS files, and not listings of the program lines.

So I got Altirra 3.20, and I set it up so it had a printer attached in the configuration. I figured "Hey, I'll just load the program into the emulator, output the list to the emulated printer, and then I can type that list in my real Atari. Right?" Wrong. When the list outputted to the printer, if there were any of the special ATASCII characters in the program that you get from holding Control, then they appeared in the printer output as ?, and that was no good. So now first question, is there a way to get the output to show those? I have a .TTF font of ATASCII that I found here but I don't know how to get the printer output to use it. I guess second question would be can I even do that?

Sure, I could just use the programs with the emulator, but that's no fun. I'd rather have them to save for my real unit. I didn't really get any external software with it besides a disk for Dos 3, so all I really have is the BASIC that was built into it(found out from a POKE that it's Rev. B, which i guess is common for an 800XL? ) and I don't have the means(no $$) to get a fancy cable to interface the Atari with my PC and transfer them that way. That stuff is expensive.

TL;DR How can I get the Printer Output to display the special ATASCII characters as they are instead of as a question mark? I have an ATASCII.ttf font file that I found, can I get the output to use it?

Edited by TheRaven81
typo fixes

Ok, that's neat, and it kind of helped me. The font didn't quite register properly. I don't expect you to have an answer for that though(unless someone can find another font file for this). So I have another question. Is there a variant of LIST that only lists the program a screen-full at a time, and only continuing to scroll after pressing Return?