IGNORED

Altirra 3.20 released

phaeron

22 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

For me the best PCE emulator has been Otake and before that Magic Engine but I have to be fair and say I've not knowingly tried the Mednafen PCE emulation in  LONG while..

Loved Magic Engine and am a registered license owner but Otake has snagged the best mantle with the work on input lag.

Retroarch is what it is, its a Marmite emulator

Magic Engine does a ok job, can not emulate sprite limitation and is riddled with timing hacks however does a decent job, ootake is more accurate however still full of hacks, mednafen is has 100% known compatibility to all titles no hacks and cycle accurate with proper sprite limit emulation even. 

retroarch, well im not a fan.

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test20.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test20-src.zip

• Fixed a bug with high-pass optimization at volume level 0 that was causing some PDM glitches.
  • Fixed an issue with denormals since the split filter changes that was using a bit of CPU time when everything went quiet. This was previously handled, but the mitigation code was bypassed in the new code.
  • Fixed an issue where sometimes UI wouldn't display in full-screen mode in DirectX 11 mode while the emulator was paused. (This doesn't apply to modal UI that forced an exit from full-screen mode.)
  • Fixed enhanced text mode sometimes not drawing its first frame properly.
  • Started on HUD customization, available from View menu -- you can now move and resize HUD elements. Currently this is only supported for a few of the audio graphs. Note that there was some major UI system rework under the hood, so there may be some bugs with indicators.
  • Added audio scope that shows the waveform coming out of POKEY, with all four channels. This is tapped between the two amplifier stages, so it uses a 64KHz source and shows the short time constant high-pass effect.
  • Fixed a bug in the CPU emulation where an NMI was being improperly held off for one instruction if it had been delayed due to RDY cycles from WSYNC. Those RDY cycles now count against the timing check.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

On 12/7/2019 at 8:03 PM, phaeron said:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test20.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test20-src.zip

• Fixed a bug with high-pass optimization at volume level 0 that was causing some PDM glitches.
  • Fixed an issue with denormals since the split filter changes that was using a bit of CPU time when everything went quiet. This was previously handled, but the mitigation code was bypassed in the new code.
  • Fixed an issue where sometimes UI wouldn't display in full-screen mode in DirectX 11 mode while the emulator was paused. (This doesn't apply to modal UI that forced an exit from full-screen mode.)
  • Fixed enhanced text mode sometimes not drawing its first frame properly.
  • Started on HUD customization, available from View menu -- you can now move and resize HUD elements. Currently this is only supported for a few of the audio graphs. Note that there was some major UI system rework under the hood, so there may be some bugs with indicators.
  • Added audio scope that shows the waveform coming out of POKEY, with all four channels. This is tapped between the two amplifier stages, so it uses a 64KHz source and shows the short time constant high-pass effect.
  • Fixed a bug in the CPU emulation where an NMI was being improperly held off for one instruction if it had been delayed due to RDY cycles from WSYNC. Those RDY cycles now count against the timing check.

Altirra does not currently know the two following good firmware

XL/XE 16kB OS roms
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rev. System  Date        CRC-32      Part Nr(s)
~~~~ ~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11   1200XL  12/23/1982  0x1a1d7b1b  CO60616B, CO60617B
3B   65XE    07/21/1984  0x45f47988  C101700

Atari Home Computer OS ROMs.zip

Edited by oo7

Boulder Dash MUST have accurate sector timing ticked, not tried the other one but expect its the same...Some protection in there..

Edit: Not sure re the sldieshow, obviously it needs BASIC but I was getting rubbish on the screen while the slideshow was running, I swapped memory to 128K and used OS version 3 roms and put BASIC as B and all was well, so its one or more of those things..

Edited by Mclaneinc

7 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Boulder Dash MUST have accurate sector timing ticked, not tried the other one but expect its the same...Some protection in there..

This worked for you?

Not here.

Maybe cause im using latest beta 20.

Gonna try and drop to latest stable.

no go here. sio patch disabled, accurate sector enabled.

gets stuck block 671`

Edited by oo7

No, don't do that, I'm on the same beta as you, its one of your settings, have you got a Happy drive set up?

Most protection checks look for a happy / read in speed...

Funky configs are nice but try and match exactly how a machine would be if plain out of the box, no fancy drives, ram or startup things...Also reread my last post as its updated..

Averys beta's are rock solid, going back to finals usually loses you nice updates and fixes...

Edited by Mclaneinc

20 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

No, don't do that, I'm on the same beta as you, its one of your settings, have you got a Happy drive set up?

Most protection checks look for a happy / read in speed...

Funky configs are nice but try and match exactly how a machine would be if plain out of the box, no fancy drives, ram or startup things...Also reread my last post as its updated..

Averys beta's are rock solid, going back to finals usually loses you nice updates and fixes...

didnt set up drives, using standard emulation.

do i need to setup full 1050 emulation and use 1050 firmware?

I set up emulator to most accurate settings only thing left would be that

so i enabled full 1050 emulation using a 1050 firmware and boulderdash 2 works. other still crashes.

the antic show thats crashing is prob a memory compatibility thing.

Edited by oo7

I'm just running as a generic 1050, no special roms, in acceleration I untick fast boot although I don't think its that important and make sure D: disk SIO is unticked... I do this for problem disks or protected stuff..

EDIT: I bet you are in 800 mode and not XL?  800 mode reboots...I test initially in XL or XE mode because its the most normal, only if that fails do I go to OSA or B

Edited by Mclaneinc

19 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

I'm just running as a generic 1050, no special roms, in acceleration I untick fast boot although I don't think its that important and make sure ? disk SIO is unticked... I do this for problem disks or protected stuff..

EDIT: I bet you are in 800 mode and not XL?  800 mode reboots...I test initially in XL or XE mode because its the most normal, only if that fails do I go to OSA or B

I was in xl/xe mode. tried every mode.

WOuld not work untill i added 1050 full emulation.

When you say generic 1050. Isnt adding full 1050 emulation the only way to run as 1050??

36 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

I'm just running as a generic 1050, no special roms, in acceleration I untick fast boot although I don't think its that important and make sure ? disk SIO is unticked... I do this for problem disks or protected stuff..

Ive tried all settings in every mode and unless I add 1050 emulation that boulder dash doesnt run. weird since it runs for you without it.

The other image from antic still crashes.

No, in the file menu with disk drives you can set it to an emulated 1050 (and several other things) or you can go the whole hog and do the full emulation, the only full device based emulation I do is Happy 1050 but its not on all the time because I'm testing cracked and protected stuff so it rules one possible varmit out..

Didn't have to use full drive emulation to get boulder dash working, merely accurate sector timing as I could hear a protection check of some sort about 50% of the way in, also those slow reads that it does are usually a clue that its protected..Don't know the actual tech side of the protection but sometimes protection checks can be sloppy...

Glad its working, don't have a clue as to why it needs the way its running for you, the emulated drive in software mode is always suitable..

6 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

The Antic thing runs for me, as its for an XE it needs the 128K and BASIC ON, runs fine here,  sets up the ram disk and then the autorun.sys boots in a bas program loads the various pics in to ram and does the slideshow...The pics are NOT amazing :)

hmmm didnt try basic i think lol.

also i dont see an option for emulated 1050 other than full emulation. strange.

Edited by oo7

13 minutes ago, oo7 said:

also i dont see an option for emulated 1050 other than full emulation. strange.

Go to File -> Disk drives ... and the check bottom line of the dialog.

I guess that it is set to 810.

Databyte's protection is one of the most stupid ones and in this case also one that fails 255:1 on 810s.

Check this detailled post by ijor for that particular problem: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/282759-databyte-disks-on-atari-810/?do=findComment&comment=4112899

Edited by DjayBee

6 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Go to File -> Disk drives ... and the check bottom line of the dialog.

I guess that it is set to 810.

Databyte's protection is one of the most stupid ones and in this case also one that faile 1:255 on 810s.

Check this detailled post by ijor for that particular problem: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/282759-databyte-disks-on-atari-810/?do=findComment&comment=4112899

Got it! thank you.

I was looking under adding devices in config and didnt think to go to file/disk drives, now I know what Mclaneinc was saying.

I guess Im too fresh to the emulator all sorted.

Thanks again guys

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

I'm just glad its all sorted, @oo7 ask all the questions you like, one of us will know the answer and we know Phaeron ALWAYS knows the answer :)

The amount of times we all do stuff like forget about BASIC etc is very normal, enjoy your emulation!

Paul.

Thanks!

Im actually in heaven with Altirra! its the ultimate tool for an Atari 8-bit user.

Never thought Ide see an A8 emulator this well written and equipped.

SO happy I get to use it.

Yes we are very lucky, initially it was a proof of concept project for Avery and then loads of us begged him to make it a long term thing and this is what we got.  Simply an amazing bit of software that's got something for dev's, players, tinkerers and serious use people alike.

And all for free, simply brilliant...Nothing will beat the buzz of the real hardware but Altirra sets the bar damn close..very damn close...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Yes we are very lucky, initially it was a proof of concept project for Avery and then loads of us begged him to make it a long term thing and this is what we got.  Simply an amazing bit of software that's got something for dev's, players, tinkerers and serious use people alike.

And all for free, simply brilliant...Nothing will beat the buzz of the real hardware but Altirra sets the bar damn close..very damn close...

Before Altirra I used Atari 800WinPlus but always went back to my real hardware. With Altirra my real hardware is now a showpiece.

One thing my real hardware wont to is NTSC and PAL.

Now my PAL software doesnt run too fast or flicker or bounce.

I love this emulator!!!

Not too surprised. For years I used virtual dub which was amazing when I used it, when I visited his site and saw Altirra I was like no way awesome!

Im so happy we have this.

Very lucky.

• Like 2

You went the way a lot of us did, via Atari800win, that was coming along really nicely then it stopped dead, a little later the Plus version came out but again the maintaining of it lapsed for various reasons and then it just stopped...

Shame, a lot of us were beta testing it and adding idea's and then nothing, then welcome Altirra and then it all changed. I've avoided mentioning Atari++ and A800 simply because they have (for me) awkward interfaces with the SDL on ++ being such a pain imho. That said both are still being maintained which is great and A800 is a bloody good emulator with Atari++ a bit behind in some stuff but ticks over nicely.

And yes, the ability to have both a PAL and NTSC machine all in one is great, I've always had just a UK model so playing US releases were something like 17% slower which on a shooter can be nice but you are not playing it as it was meant to be played, at 60Hz, also the artifacting support is ace, back then we edited the DLI to change the graphics mode from 0F to 0E so you got colour but its wasn't great so booting up Altirra and having it as per the US TV's is wonderful..Games like AE just come to life..

Any way, should not wax on about Altirra too much, Phaerons ego might go mad :)

• Like 3

Thanks to altirra Im not getting any work done and lacking lots of sleep lmao :)

I now have A8 on my workstation at work, media center in my living room and laptop to the tv in the bedroom lol

Altirra has recently amplified my life long obsession.