IGNORED

Altirra 3.20 released

phaeron

1 hour ago, R0ger said:

Quick question .. is there a function to run simulation till next frame ? Of course it can be done somewhat easily in debugger, but outside of that ?

Its not exactly the same but in the configure and Speed you could set speed to 1%, obviously its not frame based exactly and won't stop as whatever the frame time period is afterwards...

Any reason when it can be done in the debugger

Yes, we were chatting about that about 2 weeks ago but Avery basically said it was not suitable for Altirra, if you want the exact answer have a look a few pages back..Its a post by me so makes the search a little easier to weed it out..

EDIT: Here's his actual answer..

Use the 'pointing up to the right hand arrow' to go to the post

Edited by Mclaneinc

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Yes, we were chatting about that about 2 weeks ago but Avery basically said it was not suitable for Altirra, if you want the exact answer have a look a few pages back..Its a post by me so makes the search a little easier to weed it out..

EDIT: Here's his actual answer..

Use the 'pointing up to the right hand arrow' to go to the post

After reading that its crystal clear alot of ground work with states would have to be done before even thinking about it.

This being said for my purposes altirra already does what I would want. Anything new will just be a bonus surprise!

Run ahead ? I don't understand ..

All I was asking is to pause the emulation when the surfaces are flipped .. or when VBI is triggered. I would need it step through animations frame by frame. And using debugger for that is not ideal, as it takes precious space on the screen.

Currently, no, there isn't a command to single-step by a frame without using the debugger (specifically the 'gf' command). You can reduce the debugger's screen footprint, though, as all of its windows are configurable -- you only need the console window and even it doesn't need to docked to the same window as the display.

14 hours ago, R0ger said:

Run ahead ? I don't understand ..

Ignore it, its a thing that's been implemented on a Snes emulator and not suitable for Altirra, it can pre calculate frames ahead so therefore the idea being that you could stop individual frames in your point....But its nothing for the Atari so a bit pointless in the thread....Only for your information...Time to return to all things Altirra :)

• Thanks 1

I had two issues with current release:

- Rapidus emulation: works more or less ok, but after removing it from setup and adding again I've lost its Core PBI firmware, which I've previously upgraded. I have saved only the rapidus flash, and this one I can re-attach in Firmware manager (but doing so directly after upgrading it - fails), but I see no option to assign an updated PBI firmware.

- None of FRED atr files I have seem to boot, they all go to SELF TEST, but xex of the same game works ok. The same atr loaded using SDrive on real Atari works fine.

https://mapy.atari8.info/stuff/fred.zip

Edited by tzok

1 hour ago, tzok said:

I had two issues with current release:

- Rapidus emulation: works more or less ok, but after removing it from setup and adding again I've lost its Core PBI firmware, which I've previously upgraded. I have saved only the rapidus flash, and this one I can re-attach in Firmware manager (but doing so directly after upgrading it - fails), but I see no option to assign an updated PBI firmware.

- None of FRED atr files I have seem to boot, they all go to SELF TEST, but xex of the same game works ok. The same atr loaded using SDrive on real Atari works fine.

https://mapy.atari8.info/stuff/fred.zip

The Rapidus 16-bit PBI firmware can't be effectively flashed or saved out from the emulator because it is embedded within the FPGA core -- it is hardcoded into the digital logic. The only way to obtain this firmware is to flash the FPGA core to a Rapidus and dump the PBI ROM.

The disk dump of FRED that you have linked will only run on certain versions of the Atari OS because of a goofy copy protection check. Specifically, it checks part of the date block for the lower OS ROM and only boots correctly if the OS was made in the year 1983, so you will need XL/XE OS version 1 or 2.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, tzok said:

Ok, to ensure I understood you right:

Currently there is no way to dump a PBI ROM right?

Flashing PBI core under Altirra actually does nothing, yes?

Correct. You can flash a new FPGA core to the emulated flash and it'll get written to the core area, but it won't do anything because the emulator doesn't actually run the FPGA core -- the FPGA logic is reimplemented in the emulator itself and the core data uploaded by the 8-bit PBI firmware is ignored on boot.

19 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

This has been bugging me for some time, apologies if the answer was already given.

How does the "Save State" option actually work? Whenever I use "Load State", a "Read error on compressed data" message from Altirra appears.

Rename the .atstate2 file to .zip and see if you can extract it. I'd be interested in seeing the file too, if you'd be willing to post or DM it.

Hello everyone, 

I am having another blond moment. I was previously able to get the dollar sign to work on Shift-4 but it doesn't work anymore. Problem is possibly a combination of Sweden keyboard layout and running Altirra in Parallels on a Mac (i.e. emulating a 

I have tried customised keyboard config and either Character "€" or Virtual Key CTRL-SHIFT-4, but neither works. Option+4 gives a $ in MacOS, and it also works in the Win10 guest just not in Altirra.

I also checked how it works on a Windows 10 install on PC hardware with a proper Windows Keyboard where AltGr+4 should result in the $ character and it does, but I still cannot customise the keyboard to use Shift+4.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Kind regards, 

Klas

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test21.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test21-src.zip

• XEP80 can now be configured for any joystick port.
  • Fixed save state issue with certain memory patterns (not Windows 10 related).

Regarding the Swedish keyboard issue, it looks like there are a couple of bugs: cooked (character) mappings aren't working for extended characters, and changes to the custom keymap don't take effect immediately. Until those are fixed, bind Shift+4 as a virtual key and then toggle the current keymap to natural/direct and then back to custom to make it work.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Many thanks, the "save state" option works like a charm now!

What was causing the problem?

It was a bug in the zip encoding path that I had accidentally introduced when adapting some other code for it. Specifically, copy spans in the 24K-32K distance range were getting incorrectly coded. The .zip based save state format is new in 3.90 -- 3.20 uses straight binary serialization, 3.90 uses .zip with a JSON dump and explicitly separated blobs. This makes it easier for external tools to pull out info from the save state without having to understand all of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got an issue with debug memory windows not updating (not sure if it's just the extended banks or the main bank as well).

If I decrunch something and have the memory window pointing to the decrunched data, the bytes are still 00 after decrunching. If I click on the address and press return, it still won't update the window, but if I add 1 to the address I get the updated data.

I'm on 3.90.20

small wish list for altirra.

Add ability for exclusive fullscreen with option to set resolution.

like on my media center i keep the desktop at 1280 x 720. this is what i want on my large far away scren in living room, however i want to launch the emulator in 3840 x 2160

second wish.

blarggs NTSC filter for NES. I believe it would be possible to adapt this to A8 display.

Tweaked the right way I love what this does.

3 hours ago, oo7 said:

Add ability for exclusive fullscreen with option to set resolution.

like on my media center i keep the desktop at 1280 x 720. this is what i want on my large far away scren in living room, however i want to launch the emulator in 3840 x 2160

Already exists: Tools > Options > Display.

3 hours ago, oo7 said:

second wish.

blarggs NTSC filter for NES. I believe it would be possible to adapt this to A8 display.

Altirra already has its own NTSC filter: System > Configure System > Outputs > Video > Artifacting Mode > NTSC/PAL high artifacting (auto-switch).

• Like 3