IGNORED

Altirra 3.20 released

phaeron

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

They’re not, really. I’ve been using Win10-64 here for 3+ years without any real problems. The only “permission” necessary is the very first time you ever run Altirra or another “unsigned” executable is to confirm to the system that yes, you do intend to run this unrecognized pieces of software. I understand Avery’s reason to not bother with code-signing but that’s the way Windows works now for security purposes and it’s not going to change. But once you give that permission, it never asks again. Of course, every time Avery releases a new beta, you have to grant permission again. 

But that’s it. 

This is a feature of the Explorer's built-in unzip tool, which is propagating the zone identifier (found in the alternate data stream on the zip file) into the extracted files. I had forgotten about this as I've always used 7-zip on the command line to unzip binaries, and had to experiment to replicate your behavior (7-zip doesn't persist the zone identifier). There are various approaches to disabling this if that's preventing people from upgrading, although I believe this behavior was present in Windows 7 as well.

The main Windows permissions issue I run into has been the same since Windows Vista.  Since you don't run with administrator perms by default, files sometimes can't be run/opened because of the state of the file metadata (owner and permissions).  I hit this most often when I dig out old hard drives and NTFS formatted SD cards from other computers and try to use them.  I inevitably have to open up an admin cmd shell, and recursively run takeown and icacls /reset to reset the files for use on my current machine.

• Like 1

The NoKernel message means you have the emulator set to use a specific ROM that it couldn't load for some reason. This means that there are entries in the Firmware Manager that may need to be removed and re-created. Moving the ROM files relative to the emulator (or the emulator relative to the ROM files) can cause this. The stored path will be relative if it was created in portable mode and the ROM file location is within the folder where the emulator is, but otherwise it'll store an absolute path that may have become invalid. Re-scanning the ROM folder is not enough, you need to also delete the old entries and then re-select the new entry from the OS selector.

NTFS permissions can definitely cause problems when between moving between OSes as creating the same named user on a different Windows installation actually gives you a different user that doesn't have the same permissions. However, you'd know if this was happening because you wouldn't be able to even see the files. It wouldn't be possible for the ROM scan to succeed and the ROM load to fail as both are the same program and user loading the file.

The Mark of the Web that's stamped onto downloaded files is really only an issue for the help file, which Altirra will detect and warn you about if it can't fix it. It doesn't affect the ability of the emulator to load any support files. You can always remove the Mark of the Web by right-clicking on the file in Explorer and going to Properties, then choosing the Unblock button. Afterward, Windows will no longer detect the file as being web-sourced. Code signing can only partially mitigate this; it wouldn't really help at all for betas since it takes time to build "reputation" for a build and betas are too short-lived for that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caterpiggle said:

Why I am no longer to see scanlines on the screen instead of plain vanilla screen ?

...Did you turn them on (System > Configure System > Video > Scanlines)?

1 hour ago, Caterpiggle said:

Are you saying all Atari OS ROM files MUST placed inside "OS selector" folder ?? So that your emulator will recognized Atari ROM's . ...

They don't have to be placed in any particular folder, they just have to be registered in the Firmware Manager. However, if you move the files or the emulator, they may need to be re-registered there.

Windows Defender is usually only going to care about a file that either a) was just downloaded or b) has a PE header. So it shouldn't be locked anything. Moving files around on a disk don't affect it, in terms of locks.

From the description it almost sounds like Altirra doesn't have access to its settings or is running in portable mode with different local configs - you can do this with command line flags for instance. Different permissions on different (windows) accounts, maybe? It's not like Avery is flipping settings like scanlines on or off ever, he's expecting the user to indicate that. So if it's set one way or the other it should always be that way (unless you go change it).

Hello to all,

I begin to remember barely , I think I did remove the ROM listed and re-scanning again while the application is running and was not work BUT when I was re-launch the application again and BINGO, it is works with correct scanned ROM listed ! I hope that is lesson for me to learned at this time above !

5 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Just out of interest, does PRINTSCREEN key give the same result?

Nope (that would have been reeeally weird).

I mean, PRINTSCREEN just save what you see in the screen at that moment in the emulator (the correct black).

Something like:

pp2.png.3b157152c505bf840077856ce5be9610.png

Versus: (PAL artifacting, with "save frame")

pp1.png.9af49dd159807b24d803b06e96f4398a.png

It's an issue with the hardware accelerated screen effects path -- since some of the effects are handled by the graphics card, they aren't getting applied to the screenshot. I need to force a software FX path on the screenshot buffer to fix this.

The reason for the low contrast is that when hardware accelerated screen FX is enabled, the palette range is remapped to preserve overshoot outside of the RGB cube and expanded in the pixel shader. This avoids minor chroma clamping that otherwise occurs.

• Like 3

I think I've got an issue with SAPR recording.

I'm playing a single RMT FX which I want to record as SAPR but it ends being completely muted.

Here are the steps I use:

1. load obx, stop at main

2.start SAPR recording

3.run (play sound until reaches end of RMT and KIL instruction)

4.stop SAPR recording

The sound is pretty short and for the first few frames changes $d200-$d201 (possibly $d208 too). then only updates $d200 with $F3.

When I open the SAPR file, I only see the $F3 values in $d200, like it's skipped recording the first frames.

If this is a bug, does it affect all recordings ?

saprecordbug.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test25.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test25-src.zip

• Fixed a couple of crashes in the video recording path in the 32-bit build and for CPUs without SSE4.1 support.
  • Launch help file in dark theme if the emulator is configured for it.
  • Screenshots now have software effects applied when hardware effects are enabled.
  • Fixed SAP type R recorder checking the wrong registers for initial silence detection: it was using AUDFx bits 0-3 instead of AUDCx.
  • Fixed a rare crash when ejecting a disk at a specific time during an unaccelerated disk read.
  • Custom device support updates:
    • Local variables are now supported in script.
    • Fixed broken ! operator in script.
    • Added loop statement.
    • Added support for script cooperative threading.
    • Added support for custom PBI devices.
    • Added support for raw (byte-level) SIO.
    • Added support for asynchronous events between the emulator and network server.
    • Device cold reset is now forced after hot-reload.
    • Added new sample custom devices: R-Verter and raw SIO based disk drive.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Eh, uhm, this is more like feature request ?

We can mute channels 1..4. But that's only one pokey, right ? Would be nice to be able to also mute channels on second pokey, when using stereo.

Being able to mute individual pokeys, and then muting channels 1..4 across them, would work for most of the time, as I simply want to hear 1 channel. And it would be easier to extend to let's say 4 pokeys (one day ?).

• Like 2

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test26.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test26-src.zip

• Secondary POKEY channels can now be muted.
  • Fixed a bug in the co6502 trace cache that caused some bogus execution histories for 810 full drive emulators.
  • Fixed 810 full drives improperly taking too long when attempting to boot with no disk in the drive, causing boot commands to time out. This started happening due to the fixes to RIOT emulation; the additional bug here was not emulating the FD1771's behavior of failing after only two revolutions instead of five like newer FDCs.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

@phaeron, is there a way to save/print the whole debugger .help information including individual command references in one piece (or to editorially compile it from the source files)? I only use the debugger every now, not frequently enough to memorize the commands, and having everything in one file would be a lot easier than looking it up from the command line. 

Thanks!

8 hours ago, slx said:

@phaeron, is there a way to save/print the whole debugger .help information including individual command references in one piece (or to editorially compile it from the source files)? I only use the debugger every now, not frequently enough to memorize the commands, and having everything in one file would be a lot easier than looking it up from the command line.

To expand on suppawer's point, this is actually how it's stored :)

File attached.

dbghelp.txt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1