IGNORED

Turning off automatic emoji

phaeron

Question

The post editor in the new forum has generally been better behaved than the old one for me, but one thing that I dislike about it is the automatic text smiley detection. This is always the first thing I turn off in IM/chat programs since it makes a mess by inserting random smileys, and I just got hit by it in this post due to colon after a parenthesized link:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/292556-altirra-320-released/

It's pretty persistent, the first time it happened I backed it out and retyped it, but the forum put the emoji back on submit (and trying to re-edit it gives an error). Is there an option somewhere to disable this? Checked both the post editor and account settings and couldn't find an option to disable it.

• Like 2

6 answers to this question

There is actually a bug in the current version of the software with the typed emoticons.  This is causing the editor to sometimes not clear after submitting a post (and the Submit Reply button is also stuck as "Saving...")  It's possible that whatever's causing that is also causing other issues people are seeing.  I need to search on Invision's forum to see if others are reporting these issues. 

Yes, the issue with B) turning into a smiley has been around for a long time.  I could disable typed emoticons, but not sure if that will affect existing posts (I'd have to experiment). Some people probably would not be happy that they could no longer type out emoticons.  I personally use them all the time.

..Al

• Like 3

I've noticed that with things like numbered lists, too. Heaven forbid you'd want to label something with a B) rather than some dude with sunglasses. 

I think the easiest workaround (not a fix) would be to let URLs stand alone, like

https://xkcd.com/1813/

If there's a video or a forum discussion inside, the board will post a web clip sometimes, and seems to be fairly smart about it. Fortunately, the new software doesn't truncate the link as the old board did. 

...or embed them into text, both of which are a little easier to do with the new software. 

In other words, don't put URLs in parenthesis or bad things might happen. 

49 minutes ago, Albert said:

There is actually a bug in the current version of the software with the typed emoticons.  This is causing the editor to sometimes not clear after submitting a post (and the Submit Reply button is also stuck as "Saving...")  It's possible that whatever's causing that is also causing other issues people are seeing.  I need to search on Invision's forum to see if others are reporting these issues. 

Yes, the issue with B) turning into a smiley has been around for a long time.  I could disable typed emoticons, but not sure if that will affect existing posts (I'd have to experiment). Some people probably would not be happy that they could no longer type out emoticons.  I personally use them all the time.

..Al

as part of a previous plug in you had to pay for, but is no longer supported, the admin had the choice of 3 or 4 methods of emoji delivery... one of which left it to the users device to handle it on it's own (basically off, text as is)

sometimes it was available to the user and they could pick as well.

with some devices and systems making their own emoji on the fly, this becomes a hot mess.

I perturbed the bug in the editor a few moments ago myself. Thanks for deleting the ensuing mess. :)

luckily we can work around some of the auto emoji issues by creatively re organizing our text or spacing

The emoji does not always show up right away, you think it's been handled and read your post only to see the emoji appears in a moment or two...

replace short code with emoji or replace text with emoji toggle is hiding somewhere... likely global and admin only, as I understand it, turning those off leaves it up to the user to use the emoji box in the tool bar insert graphic emoji, leaving real text alone.

Like many things I could be wrong..  : )

Edited by _The Doctor__

sorry if the last post was hard to read in dark mode.....

replace short code with emoji or replace text with emoji toggle is hiding somewhere... likely global and admin only, as I understand it, turning those off leaves it up to the user to use the emoji box in the tool bar insert graphic emoji, leaving real text alone.

Like many things I could be wrong..  : )

if you do this the emoji button on the tool bar will populate more slowly as caching strategy will change

6 hours ago, Albert said:

Thanks for looking into this. The reinsertion on submit is what got me here -- if it happens in during editing I can see it and back it out, as long as what I see in the end is what actually gets posted.

At least I don't have to type C++ code on this forum, it's pretty much impossible do so if every namespace reference turns into emoji soup (and people think you're frowning at their code).

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, phaeron said:

At least I don't have to type C++ code on this forum, it's pretty much impossible do so if every namespace reference turns into emoji soup (and people think you're frowning at their code). 

Any emoticon codes typed into a code block will not be translated, so C++ (and any other) code would be safe. :)

..Al

• Like 1