IGNORED

Turbo Basic XL 1.5 on Atarimax 8 Mb cartridge?

WIZARD.NC8

Matthias Reichl DiskCart + Disk Writer

It was 2013 when we were blessed with the Atari/Mega/max mypicodos - DiskCart/DiskWriter... last version I had was 1.21

While I still have one cartridge set up with it, I don't see where the flashing disk is to set one up again. I bet someone will post it up here again and you could give it a try

The Wiz,, (Which appears to be you ;) )

As was his/your original handle on the AtariMax forums did, in early 2008 manage to get TurboBasic XL 1.5 to run using the maxflash cart.... He/You did not share or post the image to the community. As such it is lost. Howerver... if you retrace your steps and read your conversations with Steve Tucker (Classics etc.) I pretty sure you will do it again... I suggest at that point you might consider sharing the image and then it will be preserved for all including yourself for all of time...

The piece of infor that helped you finally make the cart work had something to do with this part of the puzzle gifted to you by steve... several months later you demonstrated it as working

The default is $100. You can modify that by using the -altptr switches, or modifying the value of loadadd in exeunpak.a65:

Code: Select all
#IFDEF ALTPTR3      
loadadd       .equ    $0600   
#ELSE
#IFDEF ALTPTR2      
loadadd       .equ    $0800 
#ELSE
#IFDEF ALTPTR
loadadd       .equ    $0700 
#ELSE
loadadd       .equ    $0100 
#ENDIF

No, it partially worked, but note that it says it freezes. As far as I remember it never really worked correctly. TB32Q is the only version that I recall that was useful.  That was 12 years ago... do you have another link that says that I got TBXL working? I thanked him for the code, but that doesn't mean that I was successful.  If I did, I sure don't remember it.

If I can figure out how to attach files using the new forum software, I'll post it (an ATR that I must have used).

TB32Q w- MyDos 307T.atr

MyDos 3.07 is the first version of MyDos that I ever had. I don't know/remember what the "T" means. Maybe some slight change to get it to work with TB32Q? The "problem" with 3.07 is that it does not support large disks. However without the HD support, it is quite fast. TB32Q is the work of Tom Hunt.  Haven't heard from him in years -- hope he is well.

As an afterthought, since Altirra Extended Basic is designed to go into a Maxflash cart, what would be the point of going to a bunch of work to get TBXL into a flash cart?  Yes, it is a challenge -- maybe like "why climb the mountain?"  "Because it is there." 

as you read through those threads you see that it can't be used with OS's that use the ram under rom etc or soft os's and cart need the tweaks mentioned...there is a whole grocery list on what needs to happen in fact to get different flavors to work with myIDE etc they had to make sure to use only certain versions in a eprom etc. and use the special oss versions while suppressing soft OS loads from the myIDE cartridge by holding a key during power up.

So you need to make sure OS is rom based, the drivers for whatever device does not interfere, you have the correct available memory, the banking scheme puts what you want in the correct place and doesn't use certain ranges, the carts supporting middle ware stays out of the way, your flavor of DOS stays out of the way of both, and on and on.

Edited by _The Doctor__

One last flog of the horse...  Video 61 sold/sells a cart with TBXL and the compiler in it.  I believe it is in a Williams Bank Switch cart, and it works very well.  It boots the Dos of your choice, and then presents a menu for TBXL or the Complier.  Panos made a small run of ram carts that had a version of TBXL and the compiler and I think Dos 2.5.  I have one of those carts and to be honest, I don't remember how it works. It has an "enable" and "Disable" button on it as well as three Dip switches "BATT-WRITE-XEG/SXEG".  I searched for info about it, but all I get is "Found 0 Results".  (Is anyone else having issues with AtariAge searches?)

-Larry

• Like 1

Ah, Panos' RAM Cart. I have one of those, too, but must admit have never used it beyond the first day I received it ?

It's an interesting cart though. In combination with a regular memory upgrade, you can bank 32kB of RAM in and out with three or four instructions. As long there's no memory expansion banking (the lower) 32kB, this is the best next thing. Think a multitasking OS that has to switch processes larger than 16kB, like Fuzix and perhaps FJC's GOS.

Edited by ivop
typo

4 hours ago, ivop said:

Here's the SIC! cart conversion I did. Has all the sources and binaries. Should be trivial to turn into an AtariMax cart of some sort for somebody familiar with AtariMax carts.

I tried your binaries, I imported them to the workbook, Maxflash Cartridge Studio showed no error messages, flashed an Atarimax cart, and it worked! Big thanks, ivop!

In addition, but not essential, would it be possible, to somehow get that simple selection menu of the SIC! cart onto the Atarimax cart?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WIZARD.NC8 said:

I tried your binaries, I imported them to the workbook, Maxflash Cartridge Studio showed no error messages, flashed an Atarimax cart, and it worked! Big thanks, ivop!

In addition, but not essential, would it be possible, to somehow get that simple selection menu of the SIC! cart onto the Atarimax cart?

Glad the binaries worked! Should also work on other carts that can run .xex files.

As for the selection menu, you would have to change the source code to implement the bankswitching scheme an AtariMax cart uses. Put the menu in bank 0 and the rest beyond that, similar to the SIC! cart.

• Like 2