IGNORED

GOTEK in an external FDD?

Hello all!

I have a poor, lonely, yellow and brittle SF354 that isn't getting any love right now and I was considering turning it into an external GOTEK drive. My question is: Do any of you know if I could simply swap the mechanisms and expect it to work, would I need to tweak/mod the SF354's internals, or is this simply not a good idea?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Louis

Hi!

I would be using it as the A drive on an original 520ST w/TOS 1.04. My son loves classic machines and has several of them but he doesn't have any experience with ST's, so I was thinking of giving him my old 520ST to play around with. What do you think?

Thanks again!

Louis

On 6/24/2019 at 9:34 AM, Muzz73 said:

Hello all!

I have a poor, lonely, yellow and brittle SF354 that isn't getting any love right now and I was considering turning it into an external GOTEK drive. My question is: Do any of you know if I could simply swap the mechanisms and expect it to work, would I need to tweak/mod the SF354's internals, or is this simply not a good idea?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Louis

Yes I did that, works perfect.  You need to get an extension cable for power and ribbon cable to make it fit and some stand offs.  But works perfect.  Keep in mind that even though it works as a drive B: a lot of games will need it to be as a drive A:  So that might be a problem.  Works perfect on a 520ST though!

(Below it you can see another drive I modded with a PC 1.44 mech in the same way, works great as a 720k drive)

GOTEK SF354 1.jpg

GOTEK SF354 2.jpg

Edited by tjlazer
  • Like 2

I wasn't going to destroy a SF314 to make it a FlashFloppy, but since discovering that the previous owner had simply put a hacked 314 cover on an SF354, I went for it.  Any suggestions as to why the B: drive only shows as "0 bytes empty" no matter which SF file I choose on the Gotek?

2019-07-04 11.33.11.jpg

20 hours ago, towmater said:

Any suggestions as to why the B: drive only shows as "0 bytes empty" no matter which SF file I choose on the Gotek?

Out of frustration I moved the drive to inside the ST, and even tried going to HXC compatibility mode, still nothing shows up. I read that early ST's were not compatible with Gotek because of the floppy controller IC, but I thought this was solved by FlashFloppy?

In case you don't have them hope these help

HxCFloppyEmulator Manager v1.46
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/SDCard_HxC_Floppy_Emulator_Manager.zip

FlashFloppy firmware is 2.13

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads

HXCFE_file_selector_V1_89
https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_file_selector/releases

On 7/5/2019 at 8:36 AM, towmater said:

I read that early ST's were not compatible with Gotek because of the floppy controller IC, but I thought this was solved by FlashFloppy?

Actually OP was able to make it work with an original ST, so I am flummoxed. Can someone confirm the jumper settings on an ST Gotek? Right now I just have the drive 0 select jumper installed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 1:43 AM, towmater said:

Actually OP was able to make it work with an original ST, so I am flummoxed. Can someone confirm the jumper settings on an ST Gotek? Right now I just have the drive 0 select jumper installed.

I followed the guide here:

And it worded.

My  FF.CFG looks like this, it's just the defaults, until I got bored of copy and pasting lol:

interface = shugart
host = ensoniq
pin02 = auto
pin34 = auto
write-protect = no
side-select-glitch-filter = 0
track-change = realtime
index-suppression = yes
head-settle-ms = 12
motor-delay = ignore
chgrst = step
ejected-on-startup = yes
image-on-startup = last
display-probe-ms = 2000
autoselect-file-secs = 2
autoselect-folder-secs = 2
folder-sort = always
sort-priority = folders
nav-mode = default
nav-loop = yes
twobutton-action = zero
rotary = none

I think it works, I'm still new to 520STFM, it reads some .st files okay, with _0_ and puts an error message (i forgot what exectaly now, something like E3E) on the ones it can't.. which is most of what I have ?

I used the male to male USB cable to flash it BTW:

Edited by gwald
520STFM
  • Like 1