IGNORED

Atari 1040STf video options?

You can connect some LCD monitor with VGA input - need only proper cable - will work in ST monochrome mode.

Some of it may work in color modes - ST low and medium. There are tons of threads about it. So, please use search.

You can get some RGB-VGA or RGB-HDMI converter, so can connect almost any newer monitor, TV.

You can get even brandnew TV where can connect Atari directly - that's what I did 1 year ago with Philips TV with Scart input. Yes, that's probably not available in USA, despite that it works very well at 60 Hz.

Less good quality is to use composite signal - then need monitor, TV what accepts NTSC video, assuming that it is US model, not EU .

Of course, you can use some older, CRT monitor, and it must be not Atari brand. Then - VGA will be OK for monochrome mode only, most likely. Some Amiga monitor should be OK too.

But considering prices, it may cost almost same as some new monitor - shipping etc ....

Take a look at your monitors/tv at home. Maybe you’ll get lucky and one of them supports 15Hz.

I ordered both mono and color vga cables from eBay. Also best electronics has a cable with a switch.

if your monitor does not support that frequency, you can use it in mono mode. UK people has more luck with SCART devices. That we don’t have in US.

I just got mine to boot from SD and access the BBSs but color still needs some work.

• Like 1

@dafivehole, since you're in the US, where component video is more common, one option is the use of a SCART RGB to Component Video transcoder such as this one.

https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCART-Component-Converter-Genesis/dp/B004XSSDPO/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1CGJS5R64LOA3&keywords=scart+to+component+transcoder&qid=1561863079&s=gateway&sprefix=scart+to+com%2Caps%2C400&sr=8-2

Add an Atari ST SCART RGB cable, and you can have a sharp image on common displays that support component video (in particular, the 240p/480i signal though).  It's what I used in the photos attached.

2019-05-31 14.28.14.jpg

2019-06-13 13.42.14.jpg

• Like 1