IGNORED

Jaguar HSC_SEASON 11_ROUND 9

post-38373-0-34056300-1560173724_thumb.jpg

Jaguar HSC__SEASON 11__ROUND 9

(Round Over Sunday 7/14/2019) ROUND COMPLETE

Image result for Atari Jaguar Val D'Isere

RULES AND DIRECTIONS:

Val D'Isere Skiing And Snowboarding Times:

-Start a game of Val D'Isere in "Compete" mode, then downhill mode. Please add your score in text so I can copy and paste it.   No need to keep track of multiple times and then add them all together for the lowest combined time and sweating just to finish Challenge Mode.

Each player just needs to post the highest race they reached in the Challenge Downhill mode and then the time.  A tie in the Challenge and Race goes to the fastest time.  It will also be fun and challenging to see if any of us can complete Challenge Downhill mode.

If you are not familiar with the Jaguar HSC general rules and how the scoring system works, please visit this thread here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282235-jaguar-hsc-season-11-rules-regs-and-scoring/  It is recommended that you take a photo of your score, but it is not required. We go on good faith here, so please be honest.. icon_smile.gif

Val D'Isere Scores:

1. travistouchdown      Challenge 4, Race 2,  01, 09'44  +10

2. Hyper_Eye              Challenge 4, Race 2,  01:12:12   +8

3. Major Havoc 2049    Challenge 4, Race 1, 01:21:04   +6

4. doctor_shred           Challenge 4, Race 1, 01:39:84   +4

5. Nuclear Pacman       Challenge 3, Race 3, 01:13:42   +2

6. roadrunner              Challenge 1, Race 1,  01:18:46  +1

The Current Jaguar HSC Rankings: 

1. doctor_shred               68 Points

2. Major Havoc 2049        52 Points

3. Machine                      41 Points

4. Nuclear Pacman           38 Points

5. travistouchdown           27 Points

6. masematte                  19 Points

7. PFG 9000                     14 Points

8. Hyper_Eye                   12 Points

9. Punisher 5.0                  8 Points

10. jblenkle                       6 Points

11. Darrin9999                  5 Points

12. CyranoJ                       4 Points

13. roadrunner                  3 Points

Sorry...another question....

Post your combined best time for all four challenges and the final race.

Do we have to score a certain time to advance to the next "challenge"? I'm seemingly stuck in the first race with a poor time. If we don't complete all four challenges and the final race do we just post our time for whatever we've completed?

• Like 1

Well I have already put more time into this game over the last couple of days than I have in all the years I have owned it. I have a new appreciation for it as it is a pretty good game for the Jag. This challenge is pretty hard though. Last night I got to Challenge 3 Race 3 so I think I got pretty close to completing it. I could definitely see someone attempting this and giving up on it. The key to this game is to make small adjustments to your position only. The turns are largely automatic. If you steer into turns you will probably crash.

• Like 1

Skiing or Snowboarding is fine; in all the time i've spent playing this game it doesn't seem like one is really faster than the other (and please correct me if i'm wrong on that.) 

Anyone who has sunk some time in it have a better idea for a game setting that would be more fair to all participating?  Many probably won't have time to play until this weekend, myself included.   I know this game has been done for HSC many times in the past. 

What about just the time for the first race? 

I can't say I'm all too familiar with this game.  Having played the "Compete" mode a few times this evening I can't get past the second race of challenge 2.  I'll keep at it and see how far I can get.  There 's a risk that some of us, myself included, may not be able to post a time at all as "Compete" mode seems seriously hard to get through...or maybe I just need more practice.

Maybe choosing one of the four Training Downhill runs would be a better option?  These are timed.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

5 minutes ago, doctor_shred said:

Maybe choosing one of the four Training Downhill runs would be a better option?  These are timed.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

My only issue with this idea is that, outside of wiping out, there isn't a lot that will affect the final time if everyone is accelerating the whole way. Maybe that wouldn't be the case if we went with one of the harder tracks. If we did a specific Giant or Slalom training track it would offer more opportunities to improve on your time as every missed flag adds a penalty.

TravisTD, the mode you selected is great for a High Score competition.  We just need to simplify the scoring.  No need to keep track of multiple times and then adding them all together for the lowest combined time and sweating just to finish Challenge Mode, which is extremely difficult in itself. 

Each player just needs to post the highest race they reached in the Challenge Downhill mode and then the time.  A tie in the Challenge and Race goes to the fastest time.  It will also be fun and challenging to see if any of us can complete Challenge Downhill mode.

Example:

Val D'Isere Scores:
1. TramielRulZ: Challenge 3, Race 2, 55:32

2. 64Kibbles&Bits: Challenge 3, Race 1, 1:01:23

3. Jaguar4Lyfe: Challenge 2, Race 3, 53:49

4. LynxLover: Challenge 2, Race 3, 56:37

5. 3D0Loser: Challenge 1. Race 1, 1:15:10

Each player only needs to post one screen shot.

Example:

Up3rBTa.jpg

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 3

Challenge 2, Race 3, 1:25:08

I had a better one; about 5 seconds, but forgot to snap it.  This race is tough!  Could probably get it 2nd go but usually am down to my last life from a few missed finishes at this point.  All too easy to do that when the finish line is at the end of a sharp turn. 

IMG_20190629_230113.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuclear Pacman said:

There's a SNES version of this game IIRC, but I don't think it shares the same title.

They are fairly different. I think the Jaguar game is more a sequel or adaptation. The graphics and music are totally redone. The Jag looks and sounds great in comparison. I haven't directly compared the tracks but they seem different to me. The controls feel different. I just don't think they can be considered the same game. The SNES game is called Tommy Moe's Winter Extreme: Skiing & Snowboarding in the US and it is called Val d'Isere Championship in Europe.

3 hours ago, travistouchdown said:

If you hit the jump button at the apex of a hill at speed you can do a cool flip maneuver; just figured that out.  lol.

"YEAH!"

I found that I started doing better at the game when I changed my control settings to control scheme 5. Having the jump button assigned to up on the d-pad was really messing me up.

• Like 1