IGNORED

US Robotics and I assume any dialup modem works on VOIP

Hey good news for those of you who are looking to run a dial up modem on a digital line. Fists of all you need a phone line , VOIP or other, then you need Sting126, set it up, if you are on Rogers, use a host name of rogers.com, Here is the fun part: I discovered quite by accident that digital lines still support Pulse and Tone dialing, at least on Rogers Voip modems, I don't know about your system, but I can bet that it will probably work OK. I tried going at 28800, and it limited my baud rate to 1200 baud, set it for 19200 and you are laughing. I will post the proof later tonight. Oh ya my BBS is up and running , SPY VISITS SPY BBS, at 1-226-647-0710. Russ

It is not a good assumption that Modems work over VOIP.  It really depends on who your provider is and what codecs they are using.  I've heard people claim to have good luck with Verizon's Fios, but everything from mid-range to horror stories on others.  I experimented with MagicJack once and could barely get 1200 baud, not completely stable, with one BBS.

If you can't find someone with your provider in your area that has tried it and can tell you how it went, you're really just going to have to try it yourself and see how the results go.  This may have worked fine for Russ with his provider in his area, but YMWV.

very true, and when they decide to change codecs, what used to work may not and vice versa, some of them provide a code for fax/modem calls while others provide a premium service to ensure you can still use your fax/modem. Usually they top out at 4800 to 9600, which is not good enough for a 33.6 Unreal tournament match... It's a tough one.