IGNORED

Sega CD best games?

classicgamer74

Battlecorps

Thunderhawk (very different to Amiga/ST version)

Wolfchild (improves/expands on the cartridge version)

Dune

Final Fight

The Terminator (shames the cart version)

Batman Returns (stunning 3D sections and platform sections tweaked)

Ecco The Dolphin (Q sound alone makes it worthy over cart version).

Eternal Champions

I'm not a fan of Soulstar myself..Core pushed the Sega CD furthest yet, but i found it a rather weak Galaxy Force clone myself.

Snatcher..never seen what the fuss was about, but should of held onto it, given what it goes for now.

Jaguar XJ220 was another dissapointment,  but has it's fans. 

Tried Sonic CD on Sega CD then PSN remaster..not for me.

Nor was Earthworm Jim..Sega CD version has extra level, but it's a weak addition to the main game.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 4

I play the Sega CD using the Fusion emulator (for those who don't know, the Fusion emulator plays Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X ROM's).

For the Sega CD, if you like shooters then Lords of Thunder, Robo Aleste, Keio Flying Squadron, and Android Assault are awesome.

Sonic CD is very good and Snatcher is great for those who like to spend time on a futuristic adventure/novel.

In terms of sports titles, the Sega CD can't compare to the Genesis.

It's got a few good fighting games like Final Fight.

Batman Returns is excellent.

RPG's like Lunar 1 & 2 and Shining Force are great.

Some that I liked include

Snatcher

Silpheed

Eternal Champions something something Dark Side

Sonic CD

Terminator

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Heart of the Alien

It's not an amazing system, but it has hidden depth. Greg Sewart does a video series about it which is worth a look if you like this era of games. I don't usually say this, but in the case of the Sega CD, I think it's more fun to watch the videos than play the games. 

https://www.youtube.com/generation16 is the channel

and here's the first episode

Gonna echo some choices from earlier in the thread:

Snatcher

Silpheed

Sonic CD (which is not my favorite Sonic game like it is for some, but it's solid)

Terminator

Lunar (specifically Eternal Blue; I'd rather play Silver Star Story on PS1 for that game)

Shining Force CD

Also some un-mentioned ones so far:

Amazing Spider-Man vs the Kingpin (also on Genesis but the soundtrack is great)

Flashback (same as Spider-Man)

Road Avenger

• Like 1

I enjoy Pitfall the Mayan Adventure CD. Best version, has the most levels and best redbook audio CD soundtrack!  

Ill parrot the recommends for Sonic , Terminator, Both Eccos, and Batman Returns. And Robo Aleste. 

I also think NHL 94 CD is fantastic, the extra FMV and organ tunes really add to the mood. 

• Like 3

Dark Wizard

Lords of Thunder (slightly easier than the PC Engine version, but also not as colorful)

Android Assault

Lunar

Popful Mail

the problem is the games I just listed are pretty pricy. You can get into REALLY pricy territory with stuff like Snatcher or Keio Flying Squadron, but burning discs is an option.

• 1 month later...

Yep, Sewer Shark is actually very entertaining, and in hindsight, it might be my favorite of all the crappy FMV games. 

I couldn't get into Snatcher. I didn't play it BITD, but tried it on my Raspberry PI a few years back. It's me, not the game, I just don't enjoy that kind of game that much, it is boring to me. 

Classic74, what are your favorite Sega CD games now that you have tried some?

• Like 1

I actually quite enjoyed Sewer Shark during it's actual heyday. My aunt's boyfriend had a SEGA CD, and I would get to play it once in awhile. Is the game amazing or anything? No, but I do think it gets an unfair share of flak. It's not something I return to as an adult very often, but it was kind of fun for what it was. 

Most of the greats have been mentioned already... but I only have physical copies of these games because I like them alot:

Silpheed - One of the best versions of this game released in the early/mid-90s.

Lunar series

Dune

Rise of the Dragon - Another great cyberpunk adventure game with just a few arcade parts.

Wing Commander - Yes the PC version will always look the best, the SegaCD version is the only version of this game to feature speech. It is crappy and cheesy but still. Also has all the missions of the PC version is the most impressive console released version of this specific game to come out at the time. I don't count super wing commander on the 3DO as it is essentially a different game in look and play from the PC original.

I don't own these but would recommend them:

Snatcher as everyone else has said is just excellent! Then again I really like adventure games like this.

Secret of Monkey Island - if you don't have the updated remakes already or the PC original. Doesn't look as pretty but retains the MT-32 music as redbook audio and that is a win!

Willy Beamish - Again, I love these adventure games and Willy Beamish was a visual treat back in the day. The Sega Cd version doesn't even look that bad since Dynamix created the game in a color pallet that would render well on other systems back then.  

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I would have to put Sonic the Hedgehog CD as my top Sega CD game. Other favorites include Flashback, Popful Mail, Vay, Shining Force CD, and Dungeon Explorer. I enjoyed Jurassic Park and Sherlock Holmes, but those are not everybody's cup of tea. My favorite fmv game is Sewer Shark and my favorite sports game is Joe Montana's NFL Football. I played that game to death as a kid.

Road Rash, although many don't like it. If you're not expecting a 32bit version like most criticize it for being like the 16bit versions, then you may like it. Personally i look at it as the 4th installment in the franchise and a follow on from RR3. Refined controls and some additional graphics. Also you can talk to friends and foes at the club to get an idea who's out to get you or those on your side.

• Like 2

It should be noted fyi that a previously unreleased and unlicensed ISO has surfaced for the Sega CD called Super Strike Trilogy . ? Those awesome Electronics Arts series (Desert Strike  / Jungle Strike / Urban Strike ) and since the Sega CD does not have any form of copy protection one need only download the ISO in Bin/Cue format, burn it to CD-r and boot that baby up. For obvious reasons I will not link it here but a simple Google search will lead you a source pretty quickly ? These were great 16 bit games for the Sega Genesis so having all 3 on a single CD is pretty nice imho. 

DESCRIPTION:
Super Strike Trilogy is a Compilation video game published by Electronic Arts released on 1995 for the SEGA CD.

A prototype leaked in 2017. Never released.

Includes 3 games in 1:

Desert Strike
Jungle Strike
Urban Strike

The coverart image of Super Strike Trilogy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Shadow of the Beast 2 also has a fantastic soundtrack on Sega CD. It might be the best version.

I like Puggsy a lot but I actually think the Genesis music is better.

As far as unexpected gems go, I strongly recommend Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. It’s a point and click adventure mashed up with a fighting game, and it’s really interesting. Doubly unexpected because it was only bundled with the dumpster fire of a beat em up that is Bram Stoker’s Dracula (which does have to be played to be believed).

Other people have mentioned Dune, but it’s really something.

Bouncers is fun for two to four players.

Demolition Man is the best game associated with that movie.

Mansion of Hidden Souls is a blurry mess, but a truly weird and pretty great game lives inside of it. Way better than the Saturn sequel by the same exact name. EDIT: correction, the sequel is called THE Mansion of Hidden Souls. Too bad we never got the third in the trilogy, A Mansion of Hidden Souls.

I don’t know if it’s fair to call Panic! a game, but it is an essential experience.

The Sega CD version of Mickey Mania is the best version.

I really want to play Ninja Warriors and Night Striker, JP exclusives with Zuntata CD soundtracks. I don’t know if they are some of the best but they sure look like it.

Samurai Shodown was the best 16 bit port. 

• Like 5