IGNORED

Sega CD best games?

classicgamer74

On 6/14/2021 at 12:01 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

Road Rash, although many don't like it. If you're not expecting a 32bit version like most criticize it for being like the 16bit versions, then you may like it. Personally i look at it as the 4th installment in the franchise and a follow on from RR3. Refined controls and some additional graphics. Also you can talk to friends and foes at the club to get an idea who's out to get you or those on your side.

As a huge Soundgarden fan, this is my favourite Road Rash as it's the only version that plays the soundtrack while you race (so very weird that they kept that feature out of the Saturn and PSX versions).

I would say if you like Soundgarden and 90's music in that vein to the tune of giving it a 4 or 5 out of 5 rating, you got, got, GOT to play the Sega CD Road Rash.  If you're less into Soundgarden type music, then maybe you can skip this version.  But I just freaking love it, and love cranking it.  Gets me really pumped and just fits the funny little videos and ridiculous biker mentality perfectly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Holy crap. I went and looked up some of the games I had meant to buy but never got around to. Heart of the Alien is selling for twice what it was last year, which was already uncomfortably high? Surely there is going to be a crash.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a crash to happen. In the video game market collector items tend to head upwards rather than down. What was once an undesired system is now rising in popularity. Because they're rarer due to not many units sold the prices tend to incline very fast. You just need to bite the bullet while you have the chance before they become out of reach.

26 minutes ago, Curious Sofa said:

As a huge Soundgarden fan, this is my favourite Road Rash as it's the only version that plays the soundtrack while you race (so very weird that they kept that feature out of the Saturn and PSX versions).

I would say if you like Soundgarden and 90's music in that vein to the tune of giving it a 4 or 5 out of 5 rating, you got, got, GOT to play the Sega CD Road Rash.  If you're less into Soundgarden type music, then maybe you can skip this version.  But I just freaking love it, and love cranking it.  Gets me really pumped and just fits the funny little videos and ridiculous biker mentality perfectly.

I was in the 90's a huge fan of grunge, not so much nowadays as i hardly listen to much music anymore. Even still i will say the grunge songs are really suited towards the 90's style and gameplay. Road Rash 3D on PSX and N64 is probably the only title i wasn't a big fan of. The original Road Rash versions on PSX and Saturn were awesome aswell IMO. I just feel many expected the Sega CD version to be like those and were disappointed. Im sure the framerate would have been terrible if they attempted it so im happy it's more like the original 3. As a massive fan it was nice to have a new Road Rash to play after completing the first 3 countless times over.

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 2

Multiple others have mentioned it, but I do wanna go on record saying that Sonic CD is my favorite Sonic game of all time.  The stages are centered around exploring while having speed and using momentum to your advantage, and the time traveling mechanic is pretty neat.

Earthworm Jim Special Edition is another cool one. It's quite similar to the Genesis version in terms of gameplay, but the CD audio is so good I'd play it for that reason alone.

I've heard good things about Road Rash on the Sega CD as well (there's definitely valid reasons as to why others have mentioned it here).

Snatcher is also widely regarded, and for good reason.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wanted to bump this thread to mention that I've recently discovered After Burner III, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.  That might be another one to consider if you have a method to play it.

I can't comment on it too much as I've only played it briefly, but what I played I really enjoyed.

Edited by RetroSonicHero

I'm up for a bump of this thread too, and just realized I didn't list my favorites.

Shining Force CD is actually my #1.  It's super expensive now but you can get a repro that will work just fine, emulate, whatever.  It's a combination of the Game Gear Shining Force games and has ZERO exploration.  So it's basically the precursor to Final Fantasy Tactics in strategy.  I just played and played this gem.

Snatcher is a very close 2nd; I played this in one long stretch on a weekend, start to end.  Amazing experience.

Lords of Thunder is probably 3rd for me; great Shootem Up RPG with a heavy metal soundtrack.  TG16 port of a terrific game.

Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Darkside is a somewhat hidden gem.  It's completely out MK'd Mortal Kombat in a lot of ways, with some of the most creative and ridiculous fatalities and secret characters.  Back in the day I had a katrillion page usenet printout of all the secrets and moves.  It's good, silly, uber violent fun.  The Clown Car stage fatality was my favorite; clown car falls from the sky and squishes the victim, then a clown honks the horn a time or three and blood comes out of the horn.  Ridiculous.  Like the Senator character, with the "Kickback" and "Red Tape Entangle" moves. Lulz

Oh and I just read that a hack is available on romhacking.net that tones down the enemy AI and opens all the secret characters, which is good.  Because while it was fun back in the Baud Modem days, Ain't Nobody Got Time To Be Unlocking All that Bizness These Days. :)

Thunderstrike and Silpheed are great as well, and don't get quite the attention they deserve IMO.  Addictive, nice graphics especially for the time.

Final Fight CD was by far the best version of the arcade masterpiece at the time, still holds up decently.  

Road Rash I talked about before and still love it.

Mickey Mania is the best version as mentioned previously, and Panic! is insane and bizarre.

I absolutely loved Vay.  Not sure it would hold up, but I had a great time playing through it back when.

SoulStar isn't too bad IMO, and I need to play some like Keio's Flying Squadron that are strongly recommended.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 1:01 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

Road Rash, although many don't like it. If you're not expecting a 32bit version like most criticize it for being like the 16bit versions, then you may like it. Personally i look at it as the 4th installment in the franchise and a follow on from RR3. Refined controls and some additional graphics. Also you can talk to friends and foes at the club to get an idea who's out to get you or those on your side.

Actually, Road Rash 32-bit came out before Road Rash 3.

I like it, but it doesn't seem like it uses any of the CD hardware, aside from the FMVs. It definitely could've been a lot better.

But I really like that it plays the grunge soundtrack while you're racing, instead of the MIDI tracks. I wish the other versions were like that.

When I play the other versions, I usually mute the MIDI and loop the soundtrack on my computer.

On 6/14/2021 at 2:27 AM, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

It should be noted fyi that a previously unreleased and unlicensed ISO has surfaced for the Sega CD called Super Strike Trilogy .

Did someone finish it? I heard about it when it got released, but they said it was unfinished and there were some issues and crashes.

On 6/15/2021 at 9:40 PM, jgkspsx said:

Holy crap. I went and looked up some of the games I had meant to buy but never got around to. Heart of the Alien is selling for twice what it was last year, which was already uncomfortably high? Surely there is going to be a crash.

Everything had already been going up, then the pandemic made it much, much worse.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Asaki said:

Actually, Road Rash 32-bit came out before Road Rash 3.

I like it, but it doesn't seem like it uses any of the CD hardware, aside from the FMVs. It definitely could've been a lot better.

But I really like that it plays the grunge soundtrack while you're racing, instead of the MIDI tracks. I wish the other versions were like that.

When I play the other versions, I usually mute the MIDI and loop the soundtrack on my computer.

Did someone finish it? I heard about it when it got released, but they said it was unfinished and there were some issues and crashes.

Yeah it did come before RR3 but many criticize RR-CD for not having the same 2.5D graphics as the 32bit version. Personally RR3 is my all time favorite and i will place it slightly ahead of RR2 although that's probably a nostalgia thing as i played RR3 more BITD. RR-CD i still think is a really nice addition and yes they probably could have utilized more of the Sega CD's hardware features. Having said that there is some polish added that the other 3 installments lacked. It's basically like RR3 just more polish and FMV cutscenes. It's subtle but the gameplay physics are also tweaked and it plays nicer overall. Either way though this is my nit-picking as i think it's safe to say any of the Road Rash games live up to the hype and hold their own. Brilliant games.

After playing the unlicensed Strike series for Sega CD i think the concept was great and it's a pity they never released it. It does feel unfinished though and i feel the games aren't optimized. No idea why but there is a lot of frame stuttering when flying the chopper around. Very noticeable when playing the games back to back against the original Genesis versions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 11:49 AM, SlidellMan said:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Sega CD version of Shin Megami Tensei.

I was interested in that one for a long time, but I doubt it will ever get translated.

...then again, I never thought the Famicom games would get translated, either...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Like most people, I've got a bit of a love-hate relationship with the Mega-CD (as it was here in the UK).

I fell for the hype and bought a MK2 for £250. It came with Road Avenger which I couldn't get on with.

But I persevered and had a lot of fun, mainly with non-FMV games such as Thunderhawk, The Terminator,

Silpheed and Pitfall.

Also played a lot of Cryo's Dune, Texas Ground Zero, Sherlock Holmes and Night Trap. In the end though,

the games were just too difficult to get hold of.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Eternal Champions CD was my favorite. I am so mad at Sega for killing the Eternal Champion sequel on the Sega Saturn because they wanted Virtua Fighter to be the premier fighting game.  The multiplayer modes are fantastic. Me and my friend played those for hours on end. And we love all the crazy secrets and the mystery surrounding the tournament. IMO, it's the greatest console exclusive fighting game ever made.  A couple of years ago, the original creator was trying to get a new game in the series made, but I think that ship has sailed....

Final Fight CD is by far the best final fight because of the music. (get the Japanese version for a more revealing Poison and to see Jessica in a bra)

Sonic CD - was my favorite Sonic until Sonic Unleashed.

All the other greats are mentioned, but for some gems, and since you are emulating and can get Japanese games:

Annett Futatabi

Ernest Evans

Keio Flying Squadron

Pitfall Mayan Adventure

Sensible Soccer

Edited by Mik's Arcade
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...