IGNORED

What is the difference between SGM2 and Omni?

SegaSnatcher

11 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Hi, just looking for some more information about these projects as I'm not quite sure yet what the goal is for each project.  I just know one will hook up an actual Colecovision while the other is a standalone unit.  Will they play totally different games?

They play the same games.

• Thanks 1

The SGM2 will be an add-on for the ColecoVision. The Omni will be a standalone unit.

1 hour ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Hi, just looking for some more information about these projects as I'm not quite sure yet what the goal is for each project.  I just know one will hook up an actual Colecovision while the other is a standalone unit.  Will they play totally different games?

4 hours ago, Loafer said:

Now I’m confused I though all sgm2 games will work on Omni but any Omni specific games won’t work on sgm2.  I thought Omni was a stand-alone sgm2 but with MORE added to it

I think all the games will be compatible on both but don't quote me on that.  My takeaway from it is you get the SGM2 if you simply want to plug it into a CV or you get an Omni if a, you don't have a CV or b, don't want to plug a new machine into increasingly ancient and temperamental tech.  B is why I'm holding out for the Omni.

Plus if I understand correctly, the SGM2 will be released first to take advantage of the existing Coleco fan-base, with the Omni coming later in the process.

18 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Okay so basically SGM2 is for those with original Coleco systems that want to save some money vs buying the standalone unit, gotcha. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 5:23 PM, jblenkle said:

Plus if I understand correctly, the SGM2 will be released first to take advantage of the existing Coleco fan-base, with the Omni coming later in the process.

Hi!

Joe is correct, that is the idea. SGM2 is sort of a first step for us to get into OMNI, where we can start creating a game library before we can have OMNI.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Retro4Life said:
  • Hi opcode i have a question, any progress on the OMNI, i understand that SGM 2 releasing it first, and then in 2020 a full-fledged OMNI console. So when is the reveal of the OMNI? :)

Yeah, I am anxious too. But we should take care of one thing a time. Right now we are focusing on the SGM2. It is mostly the same hardware anyways. It is all a matter of getting the new exclusives games done after that, and once we have a small library of those games, we can have OMNI.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, opcode said:

Yeah, I am anxious too. But we should take care of one thing a time. Right now we are focusing on the SGM2. It is mostly the same hardware anyways. It is all a matter of getting the new exclusives games done after that, and once we have a small library of those games, we can have OMNI.

Are you promising that all games released for the SGM2 will still be available to buy when the Omni is launched? I know these types of games are often only available for a short time before they're all gone.

2 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Are you promising that all games released for the SGM2 will still be available to buy when the Omni is launched? I know these types of games are often only available for a short time before they're all gone.

I was planning to separate releases into two groups. Original games and arcade games. For arcades, unless we can secure licenses, I don't plan to widely advertise them as OMNI games, which doesn't mean I can't make them available somehow.

Think about this, the moment we put this console out, it doesn't matter if we keep it low key, I am pretty sure the news will spread quickly. We must be careful with content we associate with the console, so we don't draw any unwanted attention. That is why releasing the console with arcade ports isn't a good idea, and the whole plan involving the SGM2...

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 5:33 PM, opcode said:

I was planning to separate releases into two groups. Original games and arcade games. For arcades, unless we can secure licenses, I don't plan to widely advertise them as OMNI games, which doesn't mean I can't make them available somehow.

Think about this, the moment we put this console out, it doesn't matter if we keep it low key, I am pretty sure the news will spread quickly. We must be careful with content we associate with the console, so we don't draw any unwanted attention. That is why releasing the console with arcade ports isn't a good idea, and the whole plan involving the SGM2...

Ughhhh, been thinking about this comment for a couple of days, trying to find some positive spin but still not sure exactly what to make of it.  All sounds a bit dodgy to me.  So we're going to get physical releases of arcade ports but there will be no mention of it being compatible with the Omni on the packaging?  And we're supposed to hope those cease and desist happy lawyers don't figure out the connection between the SGM2 and Omni?  Or we don't get physical releases of the arcade ports?  Ohhhh, maybe I should just wait and see but your above comment and what's happened with a certain promised arcade port is dampening my enthusiasm a bit.  I don't want to be negative.  I'm doing this more in the hope I get a "no no, don't worry, you've got it all wrong" kind of repsonse.

48 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Ughhhh, been thinking about this comment for a couple of days, trying to find some positive spin but still not sure exactly what to make of it.  All sounds a bit dodgy to me.  So we're going to get physical releases of arcade ports but there will be no mention of it being compatible with the Omni on the packaging?  And we're supposed to hope those cease and desist happy lawyers don't figure out the connection between the SGM2 and Omni?  Or we don't get physical releases of the arcade ports?  Ohhhh, maybe I should just wait and see but your above comment and what's happened with a certain promised arcade port is dampening my enthusiasm a bit.  I don't want to be negative.  I'm doing this more in the hope I get a "no no, don't worry, you've got it all wrong" kind of repsonse.

insertclevername, there is nothing dodgy here. Let me elaborate to see if I can easy your concerns. The aforementioned lawyer was for big N. So the only games of concern are from that company. Honestly, chances of having trouble with other companies are pretty small IMHO and experience. But I will be playing safer from now on. Now, with ColecoVision stuff I don't think anything bad could happen. But for the console, chances are it gets a lot of attention regardless how low key we try to keep it. And I don't want to risk the console.

So one possible course of action is to release all SGM2 games in SGM2 packaging template, no mention of OMNI (and OMNI doesn't exist yet anyways). When and if OMNI is released, we can re-release all relevant and licensed titles in OMNI packaging.  Unlicensed stuff stay in the SGM2 world. Now, SGM2 users know they can move their SGM2 library to OMNI, others don't know and don't need to. That is one possible solution.

That said, some arcade licenses could happen, and I am working on that, but right now it is a sort of chicken egg situation where I need to prove the platform to get some deals going. 

Hope that helps...

• Like 2