IGNORED

Would a Godzilla game on the 2600 work?

Now i'm not a programmer, but I've been thinking of a Game where you play as a JSDF helicopter Pilot and you have to fight a division of evil helicopter pilots,  alien U.F.Os and the final boss Godzilla. Even though I said i'm not a programmer, I drew up some crappy sprites on some graph paper as seen below. So what do you guys think? Would you play an atari game about godzilla? 

IMG_20190626_235354.jpg

IMG_20190626_235406.jpg

IMG_20190626_235425.jpg

IMG_20190626_235458.jpg

• Like 2

I like your art, but I think its too wide for the 2600 players/sprites, which are only 8 pixels wide. You could draw them with background, but then the objects would be all the same color, and godzilla would take up most of the screen.

There's a trick where you can skew each line of sprite data, to give more apparent resolution and width, provided your sprite is leaning or angular. This trick was used in Dolphin and Medieval Mayhem, I believe. I think godzilla is a good fit. Here's a sample of what that might look like, using only a single 8-bit player...

1315769323_godzilla8pixelsplushmove.png.332867486a7d584ba348c955fc35109e.png

...I'm sure a real pixel artist could do a better job with it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RevEng said:

I like your art, but I think its too wide for the 2600 players/sprites, which are only 8 pixels wide. You could draw them with background, but then the objects would be all the same color, and godzilla would take up most of the screen.

There's a trick where you can skew each line of sprite data, to give more apparent resolution and width, provided your sprite is leaning or angular. This trick was used in Dolphin and Medieval Mayhem, I believe. I think godzilla is a good fit. Here's a sample of what that might look like, using only a single 8-bit player...

I redrew the sprites with 8 pixels wide in mind

IMG_20190627_142021.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sounds like a cool idea, interested to see where this goes. There is already a Godzilla Homebrew by Anthony Luna. You can buy it from Repentless on etsy, I don't think the bin file is available. Has a different premise than your idea, just destroy buildings as Godzilla and avoid Rodan.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 9:10 AM, RevEng said:

874114510_Godzillax500.png.1608a0fb8f8f196f8a6c0539b838bd33.png Agreed... I wonder if there's one around somewhere. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think it would be great idea too. That's the great part about having ideas and presenting them to the community. By explaining the idea, you generate interest and the community will help you(especially if you can show dedication and effort to seeing it through). Even though you're "not a programmer" there's always Batari Basic as a launching point, and plenty of people with knowledge of programming that have made tutorials and sample code available. :)

illya

I didn't know there was interest in this!

So, here's a quick update:

This project is still in the concept stage, so development is still unfortunately several months (or a year or two) away. Fortunately though, I'm going to try to learn batariBASIC and see how I do. I think It should be in the prototyping stage sometime next year. 

TL;DR I was lazy and didn't get anything done so the project will be delayed while I learn how to program.

Also @PAC-MAN-RED, your sprites are excellent!

• Like 1