IGNORED

Magical Fairy Force: Character Introduction Series

Ryan Witmer

Fairy Land is in trouble!

The evil fairy queen Zevasha and her dark minions have their sights set on conquering this peaceful land!  Good Queen Sugar rallies her forces and calls her allies to defend sweet Fairy Land from evil!  Are you ready to answer the call?

Magical Fairy Force for your Atari 5200 will place YOU in the Fairy Arena!  Strap on the wings of one of eight characters and fight to save Fairy Land... or conquer it!  Get ready for intense head-to-head trak-ball action!  Don't worry, joysticks work too!

While still very early in development, it's time to start showing off some characters.  All screenshots are from early development builds and are extremely subject to change.

So, let's meet our first hero!

Pink Barrette

large.425590765_pinkbarrette.png.49516e28f57850081bcc24ba1def11bd.png

Hates: Evil Robots

A superhero from Earth, at least in her imagination, Judy assumes her powers when she puts on her favorite pink barrette.  She frequently visits Fairy Land, where she is known as a great hero and defender of justice.

Although usually locked in battle with Dominic, a boy in her neighborhood known for his evil robot creations, Pink has chosen to answer Queen Sugar's call for aid and rushes to the defense of Fairy Land.  Will her powers of justice be enough to stop the evil Zevasha?

large.select_screen.png.03895a10da1b19140154cee7adfa853b.png        large.in_game.png.1c8b67f9db07066c83cf9ce52c489837.png

Notes:  Pink is a character I originally came up with for a PC game I was working on.  That project kind of fell apart, but I loved the character so much that I really wanted to use her for something, and this game seemed perfect.  I still want to put her in her own game someday, hopefully it will happen.

Who is that other person on the character select screen?  Stay tuned to this thread to find out!

• Like 8

Let's introduce our second hero!

Pork-Chop

large.porkchop.png.e0db4746d2d308ee584f7624cf34a7da.png

Hates: Sewer Alligators

When he's not working his day job as a city ratcatcher, Pork-Chop likes to spend his time in Fairy Land.  How he discovered Fairy Land and the way he reaches it are unknown.  His ratcatching partners, Biff and Buzz, know nothing of Pork-Chop's secret double life.  If they ever found out, he would die of embarrassment.

Pork-Chop is secretly in love with Queen Sugar and would do anything to protect her.  Is his rock-headed bravery enough to stop Zevasha's conquest?

large.pork_select_screen.png.a4b3cf183af98a17ec3d0fc53cf816d9.png        large.pork_in_game.png.463bb2de0f936a0facfbf10e492899a1.png

Notes:  Pork-Chop is player #3 from Ratcatcher.  This design is based on the PC version of the game, which of course had much more detailed characters than the Atari 5200 version, where Pork-Chop is just "the yellow guy."  Kind of a comic relief character, he's really a very very deep inside joke from my childhood.

My goal right now is to have a playable demo featuring these two characters ready for PRGE this year.  If progress goes well, additional characters might be added to the game before then.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

We're getting a little ambitious, and got another character ready for the demo.

Frooty

large.frooty.png.94197827c2c7b780e48cf5b7cdc7e65e.png

Hates: Boredom

Captain of Queen Sugar's royal guard, Frooty is loyal, powerful, hyper, and ever so slightly insane.  As the one charged with the defense of Fairy Land, she carries an enormous responsibility as she leads the queen's armies into battle.  She also oversees a number of secret research projects in Fairy Land, some of which are finally starting to produce results.

large.frooty_select.png.e411083180bec88ca8869e9c9a935343.png        large.frooty_in_game.png.0256d4eda87bcdbe1f743eeda6ccd701.png

Notes:  This is a character that just popped into my head one day, although my artist's design ended up nowhere near what I had in mind.  I like his ideas better, so I ran with it.  I figure a game about fairies needs a character like Frooty, she's sort of the generic fairy archetype.  I love the lollipop weapon, that was entirely my artist's idea.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2019 at 7:42 PM, AverageSoftware said:

Let's introduce our second hero!

Pork-Chop

large.porkchop.png.e0db4746d2d308ee584f7624cf34a7da.png

Hates: Sewer Alligators

When he's not working his day job as a city ratcatcher, Pork-Chop likes to spend his time in Fairy Land.  How he discovered Fairy Land and the way he reaches it are unknown.  His ratcatching partners, Biff and Buzz, know nothing of Pork-Chop's secret double life.  If they ever found out, he would die of embarrassment.

Pork-Chop is secretly in love with Queen Sugar and would do anything to protect her.  Is his rock-headed bravery enough to stop Zevasha's conquest?

large.pork_select_screen.png.a4b3cf183af98a17ec3d0fc53cf816d9.png        large.pork_in_game.png.463bb2de0f936a0facfbf10e492899a1.png

Notes:  Pork-Chop is player #3 from Ratcatcher.  This design is based on the PC version of the game, which of course had much more detailed characters than the Atari 5200 version, where Pork-Chop is just "the yellow guy."  Kind of a comic relief character, he's really a very very deep inside joke from my childhood.

My goal right now is to have a playable demo featuring these two characters ready for PRGE this year.  If progress goes well, additional characters might be added to the game before then.

I see Pork Chop is back after his stint in the Sewers.

• 4 weeks later...

I was planning to show another character before this one, but we ran into some trouble with the design so he's been delayed.

Need to keep the hype-train rolling though, so let's meet:

7ZC-BX

large.7zcbx.jpg.9df184593ed183950de827497796b7a0.jpg

Hates: Enemies of Queen Sugar

The robot fairy prototype, model 7ZC-BX, is the first operational unit to come from Queen Sugar's secret military research program.  Intended to be a soldier, a bug in her programming caused her to take on the role of a maid instead.  Although now obsessed with cleaning, her prime directive still functions and she will drop whatever she's doing at the slightest threat to Fairy Land.

Commanded by Frooty and simply called "7" for short, her weaponry is extremely powerful and she will be an essential aid against Zevasha's evil.

large.7zcbx_select.png.5e0fd00b5033ae6a92cfceec2f31fa21.png        large.7zcbx_ingame.png.46bc3a6a17e413a16ce5e40b597e4378.png

Notes:  The name 7ZC-BX is actually a very deep inside joke that a handful of my military buddies would get.  Maybe one of them will see her someday.  This character is actually inspired by Huitzil from Darkstalkers, who is a robot in a game full of monsters.  I feel like every game needs some totally weird design like this, not that any of these other characters are normal, or anything.

• Like 2

This guy might still need a little work, but we got something, so here goes...

Xorex

large.Xorex.png.2aaf8e347d3fe51967cd3b56dd85a5e7.png

Hates: Commitment

The mysterious ice wizard Xorex lives high in his remote mountain fortress, developing new and powerful magic and generally ignoring the world around him.  He looks like a dork, which is why he shuns outside contact, but Zevasha's invasion provides an excellent opportunity to demonstrate his powers to the world.  The only question is, whose side is he on?

large.xorex_select.png.4c63ec129487d1237fc297652b41d67c.png        large.xorex_ingame.png.a5c29891832452211605d3fbf729eb68.png

Notes:  Xorex is based on my old Phantasy Star Online character of the same name.  He was a FOnewm, and one of the great weaknesses of PSO was that it was impossible to make a magic-user character that didn't look like a complete dork.  This version of Xorex also incorporates some elements of Noon the ice wizard from Shining Force III, who also looks like a complete idiot but can mess you up with spells and terrible voice acting.  "Now bear my arctic blast!"

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another character!

Queen Sugar

large.sugar.png.d99d90a9e80f625a733dd8ef31c3d00c.png

Hates: Nothing

The mighty queen of Fairy Land enters the battle!  Not one to allow her followers to fight her battles for her for while she cowers in her castle, Queen Sugar brings her impressive magical abilities into the fight against Zevasha.

Queen Sugar has ruled Fairy Land for centuries and is nearly immortal.  Inspiring hope wherever she goes, her magical powers may be the only counter to Zevasha's evil.

large.sugar_select.png.decdd549432446b575b21e971a0cb885.png        large.sugar_in_game.png.20a653ace6bac70f84e135b8b9365184.png

Notes:  Queen Sugar is mostly based on Queen Memory from Twinkle Star Sprites, the game's final boss and one nasty character to fight against.  Fortunately, Memory's stage music is awesome, because you'll be hearing it a lot while trying to beat her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's time for our first true villain!

Kitty

large.black_cat2.png.600c7d23edd0f45932200d57a69597e9.png

Hates: You

Zevasha's trusted pet and bodyguard, the nefarious Kitty is a mighty force to be reckoned with.  Cruel, sadistic, and always hungry, no fairy is safe from Kitty's claws.  Everyone in Fairy Land knows that if you want a shot at Zevasha, you'll need to get through Kitty first.

large.kitty_select.png.23ee97ad97b86aa3f9cbf8be38ba8324.png        large.kitty_in_game.png.dbfb157fd48e252f6dfc445924af28a7.png

Notes:  Kitty was my wife's cat, who joined us shortly after we moved in together.  Age finally caught up to him in February of 2018.  I was still working on RealSports Curling at that time, but was already putting plans together for this game.  I was trying to come up with characters and decided to memorialize good old Kitty in this game.  He was a mean old cat (the best kind!) and we still miss him.

large.real_kitty.jpg.183f978976b893a8634e78c3e54b6a4f.jpg

Kitty, wherever you are now, I hope you have all the corn chips you can eat.

• Like 5

The final character is revealed at last!  If you've been following along, this one should come as no surprise...

Zevasha

large.zevasha.png.743b5eda0b29c6085257c05c6dd9023f.png

Likes: Crushing her enemies, seeing them driven before her, and hearing the lamentations of their fairies

Hates: Queen Sugar

The ancient foe of Queen Sugar and the tormentor of the good citizens of Fairy Land.  Zevasha was defeated by Queen Sugar centuries ago, but has returned with a new army and new powers.  Have Queen Sugar's subjects become too soft in the years of peace?  Does anyone have the strength to resist Zevasha's evil?

large.zevasha_select.png.2c27983d1ca28f54230698305131078c.png        large.zevasha_ingame.png.f36dad772732659ea3e347df51ce0511.png

Notes:  Well, this character is inspired by just about any evil queen character you can think of, but in particular she's modeled after Queen Nehelenia from season 4 of Sailor Moon.  The final boss of the game, but too cool to be unplayable.  Her name comes from a completely different game that I had in mind about 20(!) years ago, but never did any real work on.  The name came back to me while designing this and I really wanted to use it, so here we are!

And with that, the cast is complete!  I was only planning two characters for Portland, but it looks like everyone will be in attendance.  As this thread has served its purpose, I plan to start a new one covering how this game actually works so that those of you making the trip to PRGE won't be completely confused.  If you're lucky, you'll bump into me there and I can demonstrate in person.