IGNORED

Any classic games with Jumpscares? 16bit era or older?

I'm not a fan of jump scares in any media.  They bore me.  But, my kids (and most of the world, it seems) love them.  Currently, I'm working on a couple of projects with them over their Summer break, and the question came up to check out how older games did jump scares.  But, I can't think of any that did.  So, you guys happen to know of any games that used any sort of jump scare on a classic (SNES or earlier) console?

Friday the 13th (NES) use to shock me a bit when Jason popped up suddenly, but that's about the closest that comes to mind.

Friday the 13th on the c64 had happy music playing but then when a camper would get killed off screen this horrible scream would come out of nowhere and make you jump 2 feet.

Also dungeons of dagaroth for the coco had a heartbeat monitor that your real heart would kinda sync up with and when a monster would just appear in front of you it would give you this crazy huge surge to your heart lol

• Like 1

Def rescue on Fractalus as the first. Felt like I was about to have a heart attack when the alien popped up!

Dungeon Master:  First time I hear those fecking screachers on my blind side, the rest of the game I played I was on the edge of my seat at every corner.

• Like 2

Yes, I asked Google about the first game with jumpscares and among the first hits it pointed me to this article about Rescue on Fractalus, mainly because George Lucas had a finger into it.

https://www.slashfilm.com/video-game-jump-scare-george-lucas/

It is even mentioned on Wikipedia, and as we all know: everything on Wikipedia is true...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_scare

Edited by carlsson

It Came From The Desert on Commodore Amiga had one part where a giant ant would walk across the screen and you had to shoot off its antennae. If you hit only one of the antennae, once the ant leaves the screen, would show up in from of you filling up the screen with its giant head. 

• Like 1

Mansion of Hidden Souls on the Sega CD got me good when I was a kid. There's a part in the game where you fall down a shaft in the house and end up in the basement. I turned around, and there was a mummy/zombie thing that immediately killed me while making some weird noises. I shut the damn game off and never put it back in. Done.

• Like 1

Some PC Engine games that do:

Far East Of Eden: Fuun Kabuki Den has some, the best is at 3:10 in this video:

Some digital adventute games with them: Private Eyedoll, Snatcher, Cobra II, 3x3 Eyes.

JJ & Jeff/KC&KC has that sewer serpent.

Beyond Shadowgate has a lot. Checkout the death montage at 1:35:15 in this video: