IGNORED

the last official Colecovision game?

ASalvaro

Telegames put out a few cartridges around 1986 e.g. Alcazar, Skiing.  It's mentioned here that Telegames put out Boulderdash in 1987.  Technically these cartridges were for their Dina system since the colecovision was already discontinued.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/255041-boulder-dash-cart-questions/?do=findComment&comment=3555711

6 hours ago, Crapahute said:

I think it's one of the games they relased in 1984 (Tapper, Telly Turtle, ... ?)

Chronological list

Has no one noticed?  That isn't really a full chronological list, it is sub-sorted alphabetically within each year. So a title released in January 1984 could be showing up as the last game release when it perhaps isn't

Edited by Loafer

If Telegames cartridges srarted in 1986, then there may not have been any new Colecovision releases in 1985.  The other problem with lists, like the one in wikipedia for example, is that they maybe using copyright dates for release dates in some cases.

On 6/28/2019 at 4:17 PM, Loafer said:

Has no one noticed?  That isn't really a full chronological list, it is sub-sorted alphabetically within each year. So a title released in January 1984 could be showing up as the last game release when it perhaps isn't

Absolutely

• 4 years later...

https://www.atariarchive.org/colecovision-game-release-dates/

According to the link above, Q*bert's Qubes was the last game released for this system, in April 1985.

However, the same list is curiously missing Spy Hunter, which according to the January 1986 issue of Computer Entertainer magazine had been released in January 1985.

https://www.ataricompendium.com/archives/newsletters/video_game_update/computer_entertainer_jan86.pdf#page=6

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, wavemotion said:

I think some (all?) of these were developed and brought over by CBS in Europe to the US so we didn't get them until very early 1986.

Exactly. Unless someone has a time machine, no list will be accurate but one can get it fairly close to be accurate.

Another problem are the numerous releases by CBS, Bit Corp. and TeleGames. They should all count and be included in the list and if that is the case then Boulder Dash is the last cartridge based game released for the ColecoVision before the Homebrew community’s first release which was Kevtris in 1996.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 2

I remember my Mom being seriously pissed when Coleco pulled the plug on the Colecovision and she didn't give two sh*ts about video games. Her and my Dad had worked really hard just trying to find a Colecovision to buy me for Christmas in 1982. I'm sure it's been discussed numerous times on this forum over the years but if Coleco doesn't get in deep with the Adam computer and just focuses on supporting the Colecovision does the system stay alive for a while longer?

2 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

... but if Coleco doesn't get in deep with the Adam computer and just focuses on supporting the Colecovision does the system stay alive for a while longer?

A while, perhaps. I believe a big chunk of the problems were that Coleco was far too slow (in some cases not until after they gave up on the Adam) in releasing technical documentation and making it easy for third-party developers to produce software or hardware for the machine. Like TI and the 99/4a, things were held too close to the vest when opening up the information would have produced a larger software and hardware base and probably lengthened support. Atari and the 8-bit line got 10 full years of support mostly because the technical documents were available early and well detailed.  Just my ten cents (with inflation). 

• Like 1

Not releasing the ADAM wouldn't really have saved the ColecoVision. The video game crash of 84 was mostly due to retailers looking at Atari going down the drain and losing faith in console gaming as a whole. When Atari went down, it took down the whole industry with it.

On the other hand, if Coleco hadn't spent so much money on the ADAM, they could have been in a much better financial position to face the crash of 84. But Coleco would have exited the console gaming market just like Mattel did with the Intellivision, so again, the ColecoVision wouldn't have survived the crash.

2 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

On the other hand, if Coleco hadn't spent so much money on the ADAM, they could have been in a much better financial position to face the crash of 84. But Coleco would have exited the console gaming market just like Mattel did with the Intellivision, so again, the ColecoVision wouldn't have survived the crash.

So many “Could of, should of, would of” and “What Ifs” when it comes to discussions like this.

Perhaps if the ADAM never came to be and Coleco’s sole focus in the electronics field was the ColecoVision, they could have weathered the VG Crash seeing how well the CV was selling for them and outside of a few companies releasing bad games, the quality of the games was improving by leaps and bounds.

Perhaps Nintendo does not release the Famicom / NES in the U.S. or maybe they work with Coleco for them to be the U.S. distributor or maybe the Famicom is rebranded as the ColecoVision 2.

Perhaps Sega doesn’t release the SG-1000 in Japan but becomes Coleco’s distributor of the ColecoVision in Japan.

Etc., Etc., Etc.

It is fun to consider all the possibilities.

Kind of amazing how quickly Coleco went from a dominant market force to bankruptcy. In 1983, they had the leading next generation game console and a white hot toy in Cabbage Patch Kids. Just a few years later, they bet big on ALF and Furrskins, a sort of hillbilly teddy bear, and lost just as big. You don't see those kinds of spectacular corporate flame-outs these days... companies will make a mistake, lose tons of money, and somehow remain in business.

4 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

I personally think just the opposite.  Had Coleco stuck to their original plan and released the Super Game Module instead of the Adam, they would have not just survived the crash -- but thrived.  I know my siblings and I were drooling over the Super Game Module ads and articles, and were giddy with excitement.  When they announced that the SGM was cancelled and that they were releasing the Adam instead, we were really confused.  Why, we asked?  Why!

Anyhow, it is indeed fun to speculate....