IGNORED

anyone remember this 2 player dedicated handheld?

asra

I have vivid memories of playing this, it had a colour screen and pretty interesting gameplay, where you had to grab these red aliens flying around the screen and take them to your base.

It was 2 player competitive so the other player could steal the alien from you and use it to score on his base.

It's just capture the flag I guess! But I remember it very fondly.

I caught a glimpse of it and can't remember what it was called.

Alien... something?

Can't remember.

It was quite big, and each player would play on opposite ends of the machine, one with his own joystick.

I'd like to find it some day, but not knowing what it's called makes it kind of hard.

The pictures only show a tiny glimpse of the machine but if you know it, you know it.

Thank you.

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

• Like 2

First impressions on seeing still shots of that: Cool vector graphics! The display is really bright! Looks fun!

First impressions after seeing the video: Ugh, what's that awful whirring sound? Is it electromechanical or what? Controls are awful. Display is like a segmented LCD. Do not want!

Looks like a fun memory, though -- even if it's likely better left in the past. :D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

First impressions on seeing still shots of that: Cool vector graphics! The display is really bright! Looks fun!

First impressions after seeing the video: Ugh, what's that awful whirring sound? Is it electromechanical or what? Controls are awful. Display is like a segmented LCD. Do not want!

Looks like a fun memory, though -- even if it's likely better left in the past. :D

haha yeah definately not vector graphics, but colorful and bright!

whirring sound is in-game music :DDD

controls are probably ok.

gameplay is probably not so ok :)

still, loved it as a child, what are you gonna do.

• Like 1

The good news is these and a lot of other tabletop VFD/LCD and handheld games are in MAME now.   Also, it looks like the Internet Archive has a decent sized archive of these games you can play right in the browser.

https://archive.org/details/handheldhistory

I checked but these two games aren't in it for some reason;  Alien Chase was the second VFD game I dumped the ROM for and vectored the VFD.  I managed to dump the microcontroller in the star wars game, and we entered the hex data for it from the game's patent also since it's a different version (earlier than the release).  These games are in MAME.