IGNORED

NetUSBee USB basic setup help for storage please

5 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

thanks Lastic, but I have been on Atari-forum almost as long as Atari-Age.. I am in all those threads.

James

I don't know how I've helped, I'm the one who cannot register for some reason at Atari-forum.

I got no clue why I can't register there.

I'm actually the one asking for help ?

Edited by Lastic

4 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

well I was being polite.. as for why you cannot register.. maybe try a VPN to get to Atari-forum if your domain is blocked.

James

My apologies, also didn't want to be rude.

I finally figured it out, when I use Safari on OSX , I always get a message there is a problem with an external party when trying to register and if I would go back to viewing Atari-forum as a guest , it would ban my IP , although it isn't in the StopForumSpam database.
I found it a bit running around in circles , how can I get banned for posting Spam on their forum when I'm not even able to register a user to post on their forum.

Using Firefox I was perfectly able to register a new account, with the same public Belgian IP :)

Edited by Lastic
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I hate to bump a dead thread, but this thread was so helpful to me.

I bought a working Megafile 60 (in great shape) recently that was chock full of old software.  I know that sooner or later the old mechanical platter drive is going to die, so I wanted to get the data off and transferred to an SD card based HDD ASAP.  I ordered a Netusbee from TBA last week and received it today.  I had hoped to transfer the files over the network connection, but it seems to be designed more towards putting data onto the ST HDD than getting it off efficiently.

Reading the documentation I saw that it could act as a storage device, with a thumb drive installed in one of the USB ports, so I searched around and found this thread.  Using the info I found here I partitioned a thumb drive using the HDDRIVER HDUTIL program and was able to access the partitions while the Megafile was attached and working.  An hour later everything was copied off the Megafile onto the thumb drive, and shortly thereafter was copied onto a partition on my US and backed up on my PC.

Wonderful, really nice. I'm very pleased with the result.  Thanks for the great info!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

@256 colours I feel your frustration I really do !!! I strut off for a bit but then after a break i come back and then things come together but endless googling and watching youtube vids puts the pressure on! especially when you want something to work so bad!

Ive yet to do down the road you have taken ive only just figured why i could not get the Netusbee working or should i say uipv310.tos to load to give me the ip address but now i am sorted i'm trying the usb stick storage now :) TRYING not done it yet!!

• 3 weeks later...

So whats happened to the guy trying to sort his usb storage usb stick working on the netusbee? Ive been following and i got as far as my floppy boot disk to work but with the 3 prg in the reverse order but i have a problem with cookie jar? The usb driver installed then it went on about no more slots and something about the cookie jar??? LOL Ive never heard of cookie jar before in Atari St's?

Ive used the NETUSBEE image and transferred to floppy put that in the ATARI ste and with my Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 USB stick and the netusbee root hub has detected my usb stick so its showing 2 devices if i unplug the usb stick its only 1 device so im confident my usb stick is working?

Now on the desktop  I have 13 drives (14 Including the Floppy disk A) so the drives are from D to P of course i can't see anything in the drives as the drives does not exist. but if i take the usb stick out i still get the same drives on the desktop?

So the usb stick is  32gb one and in the booting of the Atari it states 800 extra folders in 105600 bytes 40 entries requested by user , 46 allocated,9 in use?

So i presume my next step is the partitioning of the usb stick ? either in windows or HHDRIVER?

I've downloaded the demo version of HDDRIVER and on using it i can see there is C:Kingsotn DataTraveler 3.0,28.8Gib, $0C  and under that another box with 0 Devices, SCSI Driver 1.00

Then a smaller box with 2 Buses, SCSI Driver 1.00

Bus 0:Atari ACSI

Bus 3: USB Mass Storage

I'm wanting to partition my usb stick via the ST using HDDRIVER??? 

WHAAAAOOOO I finally done it :)

I used HHDriver V7.51 and i found a 1GB usb stick that works with the NetUSBee . In HHD utility i had to partition the 1GB stick as a whole partition with TOS+DOS ticked.

I got a C folder on the desktop along A and B floppy.

I did try to create small partitions on the stick but TOS+DOS enabled would not let me it had to be the 1 partition? So anyway i got a C folder and transferring stuff from the Windows10 to STe is much simpler than using UIPV3.

I used the zip image from this forum and i had to alter the dekstop inf to just have the 1 C partition but before i did use the TOS+DOS i did do small partitions on the usb stick but only in TOS which had all the folders that was on the zip image but i could not use on Windows10 so i opted for the 1 partition on a 1GB stick.

Im going to purchase Petra Putniks full driver package and find a bigger usb stick like 4GB thats ok with NetUSBee.

If i'd not found the HDDriver V7.51 i would not have got this far :)

Update... I take it back about using usb stick to transfer instead of UIPV3 .... I used UIPV3 installed on the ST C drive and then transfer a bunch of files in 1 go from pc to C and it flies like mad :) So quick its flashed before my eyes....

UIPV3 on ST usb drive then from pc to the usb stick is mega fast!

Edited by Back2skooldaze

Transferring big files like a demo using UIPV3 is soooo slow and when running a demo directly off the usb stick(C drive) on the Atari STe for example KAKOMILO which is very good its ok at first running off the usb stick then it slows then stops whilst loading more off the usb stick then carries on playing then slows and can get choppy but it does work. Obviously the transfer rate from USB stick via NetUSBee is not very fast :(

Can't complain as using the NetUSBee with usb storage is good for quick file transfer from pc to ST not UIPV3 with big files.

smaller transfers using UIPV3 is pretty fast to your C drive on ST but big stuff you might as well plug the stick in the pc do your transfer and put back in the NetUSBee . 

Can I clarify some things which are not clear:-

1. do the USB drivers have to load from a floppy ?

2. is HHdriver the only utility that works with USB, the reason I ask is I manually install the USB drivers

in the correct order and the software see's my USB stick which I partitioned under Windows the first partition being

FAT16 32GB in size, 2 other partitions @512MB in size.

I am using ICD Pro as I have an ICD interface to my SCSI hard disk (currently a 1GB) and this driver/utility does not see the USB device.

I am unable to boot from floppy as my floppy drives seem unreliable and a GOEX I bought doesn't work at all (piece of junk :( ).

I have an STM with original TOS and an STE with TOS 2.06.

The STM bombs when I try to install the USB drivers, may be memory limitation or old TOS.

The STE loads them all manually ok.

6 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Can I clarify some things which are not clear:-

1. do the USB drivers have to load from a floppy ?

2. is HHdriver the only utility that works with USB, the reason I ask is I manually install the USB drivers

in the correct order and the software see's my USB stick which I partitioned under Windows the first partition being

FAT16 32GB in size, 2 other partitions @512MB in size.

I am using ICD Pro as I have an ICD interface to my SCSI hard disk (currently a 1GB) and this driver/utility does not see the USB device.

1. No. They are the first thing in my Auto folder after Superboot on my Hard drive. 

2. I know HDdriver works, that’s what I use. I would bet Peter’s drivers also work. As you can use either of the newer drivers with your ICD interface that would be the best way to go. 

Hi I have succesfully used the St file image attached and got a few usb sticks all working great on the netusbee, Now i want to try my usb mouse?

I have put a mouse prg in the auto folder on the disk and when booting i can see it installed the usb mouse driver ok and its detected my mouse but on the desktop the mouse is lit up red but not working? At the end of the drivers install script on the boot disk at the end it states mouse API mismatch?  What does that mean? I have used the mouse.prg from the netUSBee 05 driver pack so will i have to use the NetUSBee 04 driver pack?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my floppy drives working, but think my NetUsBee is faulty, I sent it back to RetroLemon and they said it was fine

and sent me a video of it working. I agree it "sort of works" but here's what my problems are.

Using my STE

NetUsBee plugged in no hard drive attached, orange light lit on network with no network cable attached (I think both lights should be off). Can someone confirm please.

I boot USB utilities from floppy including the accessory they all go in ok and the accessory confirms the root hub and the 2GB flash drive by name.

I run the demo version of HDDRIVER and it bombs, PPUTIL does not see the USB drive.

Attach my hard drive and the GREEN LED also lights on the network connector still with no cable attached (this is definitely wrong)

Hard disk works normally.

Sting software bombs when I try to configure the network.

UIPV3 bombs.

Using my STM (1MB)

Still the orange LED is on, however if I connect my hard drive the green LED does not light,

if I then connect a network and use UIPV3, I can connect to the network, green light flashing and from my PC I can transfer files.

Not tried Sting on this ST yet.

If I try to load the USB driver from a boot floppy, it bombs in a never ending "load bomb load cycle" and I have to power it off.

Still got a few more things to try, but if anyone can confirm my suspicions that there is something wrong with this device

it will help tremendously as the supplier says it's OK.

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

I sent it back to RetroLemon and they said it was fine and sent me a video of it working.

lanning.jpg

So had you given them the steps you were taking so they could replicate and this worked for them and shown to you in the video?

Or did they do a basic test and have you repeated that and it works for you?

Edited by Wrathchild

They just showed a video of it working using UIPV3, just screens, not led's etc.

I've not told them about the USB side yet as I only just got a floppy drive disk working.

Once I've completed all the testing between the machines I will contact them again, I just wanted

confirmation on the LED status as I think it's wrong and indicates there is something not right.

37 minutes ago, mdivancic said:

On my TT I’m just using the USB mass storage driver (no network). In this condition the orange light stays on all the time. Hope this is helpful?

Thank you, that does help, now I need to figure out why the green led is on only when my hard disk is attached.

Can I ask what your using as drivers for the USB and what hard disk driver you are using ?

13 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Thank you, that does help, now I need to figure out why the green led is on only when my hard disk is attached.

Can I ask what your using as drivers for the USB and what hard disk driver you are using ?

The 06 package of the NetUSB drivers and HDDRIVER 11.

• 4 weeks later...

So, regarding the memory consumption of the NETUSBEE drivers there is a chance to do something to improve the situation where I want to use an USB Key (pen drive) as a Hard Disk to play some games? 

I have tried and 9 of 10 games don't work, crash or hang loading. 

Have tried with HOLE as well but it didn't help, all games now give me an "Insufficient low memory" error now.

Any ideas?

9 hours ago, Andres Vettori said:

I want to use an USB Key (pen drive) as a Hard Disk to play some games? 

Must admit, since finally getting mine to work, all I've used the USB for is to backup my hard drive partitions.

Busy today, but will try some games tomorrow and see what happens.

Forgot to ask, how much memory do you have ? is it a stock 512K

Edited by TGB1718

19 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Must admit, since finally getting mine to work, all I've used the USB for is to backup my hard drive partitions.

Busy today, but will try some games tomorrow and see what happens.

Forgot to ask, how much memory do you have ? is it a stock 512K

My STE has 4MB of ram...  I guess it should be enough for playing any games...

On 9/17/2021 at 11:59 PM, Andres Vettori said:

I have tried and 9 of 10 games don't work, crash or hang loading. 

Got round to trying a few games, seems a bit hit and miss, Blood Money ran fine, so did Star Trek,

a few others failed, but I find that quite a lot do that on STE's, so not a conclusive result.

My STE is the same as your, 4MB RAM