IGNORED

Space Invaders CXL4008 vs RX8008

jcbstein

Looking for some clarity from the group. In 1986 Atari Corp. released Space Invaders as both a CXL4008 and RX8008 Silver Label Cartridge for the Home computer. Does anyone have a scan of a Space Invaders box for the RX8008? Or did it ship in the CXL4008 box? Any information would be appreciated.

CXL4008 Space Invaders 84.jpg

Space Invaders CXL4008 86 Box.jpg

RX8008 SPACE INVADERS 86.jpg

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-space-invaders_4831.html

I'm fairly sure the tape box was the same size (as in 80% empty space like much early 400 era stuff) and looks the same except border colour and some of the text.

The cartridge is a 4K ROM.  From what I can see the tape version should work on an 8K RAM machine.

Well,

the box of Space Invaders CXL 4008 with brown label is (almost) A4 size, while the box for RX8008 with silver label is (almost) A5 size. (I do not own a CXL 4008 with silver label.) Except the size, the boxes and their artwork are the same (okay, they also changed the copyright year)...

Guess Atari simply used what they had available then regarding boxes, labels, etc., so maybe one can also get a RX8008 with brown label and/or A4 sized box or a CXL 8008 with A5 sized box. (They did this with the re-release of Star Raiders, they used the RX number and silver label, an A5 box and an XE-style A5 manual.)

• 2 years later...
57 minutes ago, scottyy said:

I have found 4 cart variants for Space Invaders.

image0 (1).jpeg

Assuming it is actually the actual Space Invaders game from Atari, that last one looks more like a bootleg or a homemade cart rather than a true "official" variant. It certainly doesn't look like any sort of official release, or even an in-house version to me.

• Like 1

They still look like bootlegs to me, but maybe they're variants from another country. I'm only used to seeing U.S. releases. Where are these from? Did any of them come in original packaging? Were they sealed? It seems strange to me that many of these are titles from different companies, but they all have similar or identical cases and labels.

I'm still skeptical of their authenticity, but I've been wrong many times before and I'm certain I will be again.

The white carts with black text silver labels are bootlegs. They came in black boxes labeled in gold text “FANTASTIC GAME”. A small silver label with black text had the same name as the cartridge. The boxes note the 2600 system not XL nor XE so the bootleggers probably made more Atari 2600 bootlegs. 

A7B15508-A51E-4991-87E1-36E58A26FBF8.jpeg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Defender II said:

The white carts with black text silver labels are bootlegs. They came in black boxes labeled in gold text “FANTASTIC GAME”. A small silver label with black text had the same name as the cartridge. The boxes note the 2600 system not XL nor XE so the bootleggers probably made more Atari 2600 bootlegs. 

Pretty much what I figured from the look of them and the fact that Space Invaders was misspelled as Space Invader. Everything about them screamed bootleg to me. So, not really a "variant" per se, but an illegal copy.

17 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Pretty much what I figured from the look of them and the fact that Space Invaders was misspelled as Space Invader. Everything about them screamed bootleg to me. So, not really a "variant" per se, but an illegal copy.

Do you have a complete Atari 400/800/xe cartridge list bfollowell?

16 hours ago, bfollowell said:

There's a list on AA, and I don't have so much of a list per se, but I have Mr. Robot's archive which is very complete, if not 100%, and very well organized. I can provide links if you'd like, to Mr. Robot's archive and the cartridge list here on AA.

have you seen this list?

http://www.pitfalljones.com/atari.htm

OK, so, the cartridge list that I'd mentioned isn't live yet, or isn't linked to, because the 8-bit sections are under construction, but the cartridge list is in good shape and you can go there if you have the link. I'll list it below. Also, @Mr Robot is the one that generously offers an excellent cartridge image collection that is meticulously organized. Both links below. Enjoy.

https://atariage.com/system_items.php?SystemID=800&itemTypeID=CART

https://atari8bit.net/dl/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please be aware that I’m not a completionist, I don’t try to collect every known variant of every title, just one of each unless there are significant differences between them. I test on a 64k NTSC 800xl and a 576k PAL NUC+ Both with an AVGCART as the multicart.  

• Like 1

For physical cart collectors, @Atari8bitCarts has by far the most impressive cart collection I've seen. Most of the variants of the labels I've made on my site came from originals kindly photographed and shared with me by him.

Check out some of the photos here

http://www.atari8bitcarts.com/ataricollection.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

For physical cart collectors, @Atari8bitCarts has by far the most impressive cart collection I've seen. Most of the variants of the labels I've made on my site came from originals kindly photographed and shared with me by him.

Check out some of the photos here

http://www.atari8bitcarts.com/ataricollection.html

you are too kind :)

My entire collection can be represented in that list I published, I had I think 90%. That site link above had what I was selling at one time.

I just moved and will hopefully soon get all my b9oxed Atari items out of storage. We're building/reno'ing a 1870s home at the moment.