IGNORED

Invisible Character at the End of Lines?

TazzyB

I know that I already said this in a previous article, however that time I had two issues and one of them was solved. 

Every now and then, I will try to compile, but I can't because of this invisible character which is a pain. You'll notice the blue character which I highlighted, however it cannot be treated like a space. It takes me to the next line when I try to cursor over it, but it is there and can be highlighted. It causes a syntax error.

image.thumb.png.958f7c3006d6aa91b98a2f41ceb32cd5.png

Are you sure it's the white space causing the error? Have you tried removing the word function from the remark or the remark itself? 'function' is a key word used by bB and sometimes bB does strange things. Also you have the remark at the same indentation spacing as the 'if' statement. bB could be getting confused and trying to compile the remark as code.

1 hour ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Are you sure it's the white space causing the error? Have you tried removing the word function from the remark or the remark itself? 'function' is a key word used by bB and sometimes bB does strange things. Also you have the remark at the same indentation spacing as the 'if' statement. bB could be getting confused and trying to compile the remark as code.

I removed the function word from the remark and indented the code below further than the remark itself, however now a new blank character is popping up at the bottom!

image.thumb.png.528978eec3c76e5ebefd37bb65bf35de.png

Edited by TazzyB

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but we're not supposed to start labels or variable aliases with keywords. For example, you're using "nextstep" as a label. I put one underscore at the beginning of variable aliases and two underscores at the beginning of labels. Then I don't have to worry if I'm using a bB keyword by mistake and I'll never have to worry if my new variable alias has the same name as a label. So in your case, "nextstep" would become "__nextstep".

2 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but we're not supposed to start labels or variable aliases with keywords. For example, you're using "nextstep" as a label. I put one underscore at the beginning of variable aliases and two underscores at the beginning of labels. Then I don't have to worry if I'm using a bB keyword by mistake and I'll never have to worry if my new variable alias has the same name as a label. So in your case, "nextstep" would become "__nextstep".

Ok, nextstep is now __nextstep, but a new one popped up yet again!

image.thumb.png.3a17a9898633b5a4c3588be45730d3cf.png

5 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

If you delete your bB.1.1d.reveng41 batari Basic folder and download it again, I wonder if that would fix it.

No matter how hard I try, it keeps saying this when I try to compile with the new copy:

Could not locate sed.exe or bbfilter.exe.  Please makes sure you have a copy in C:\Users\budit\Downloads\BB.1.1d.reveng41\bB.1.1d.reveng41. This will improve DASM error reporting
Precompilation failed, aborted at 2019-06-29 8:37:37 PM

16 minutes ago, TazzyB said:

No matter how hard I try, it keeps saying this when I try to compile with the new copy:

Could not locate sed.exe or bbfilter.exe.  Please makes sure you have a copy in C:\Users\budit\Downloads\BB.1.1d.reveng41\bB.1.1d.reveng41. This will improve DASM error reporting
Precompilation failed, aborted at 2019-06-29 8:37:37 PM

Be sure to double click on install_win.bat in your newly downloaded folder in case that has anything to do with it. Also remember to close VbB (if it's open) and open it again so it will work properly. If it's still not working, let us know before you do anything to the files.

3 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

Be sure to double click on install_win.bat in your newly downloaded folder in case that has anything to do with it. Also remember to close VbB (if it's open) and open it again so it will work properly. If it's still not working, let us know before you do anything to the files.

Nope. Still not working. Same error.

Im willing to bet where bB is highlighting the syntax error isn't the actual location of the error. I have found when bB doesn't know exactly whats causing the error it will point to a whitespace at the approximate area it thinks is the issue. It's nothing new of an issue and usually for myself it's a typo or piece of code i have become sidetracked from and forgot to complete a statement ect.

You should post the code so we can have a look to see if there is something you're overlooking. If you don't want to post code public feel free to send though PM to myself or Random Terrain

1 hour ago, TazzyB said:

I tried just now. Still won't tell me "compilation completed".

I have to get some sleep. If nobody else comes up with an answer before I come back later today, I'll see if I can figure it out or try to find somebody who can.

17 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

I have to get some sleep. If nobody else comes up with an answer before I come back later today, I'll see if I can figure it out or try to find somebody who can.

As it was sitting there saying "compiling..." I tried running the game and Visual bB said that it couldn't find "warheads.bas.bin", so I checked and noticed that it was gone. However, putting in a backup copy still didn't fix it.

It looks like this:

Compile started at 2019-06-30 5:36:25 PM
Compiling C:\Users\budit\Desktop\Junk Bin\tinkernut_world\Tinkernut World\warheads.bas
[2019-06-30 5:36:30 PM] Could not locate warheads.bas.bin. Attempting recompile...
Compile started at 2019-06-30 5:36:30 PM
Compiling C:\Users\budit\Desktop\Junk Bin\tinkernut_world\Tinkernut World\warheads.bas

Edited by TazzyB

I sent a PM to somebody who knows more about this stuff, but you might have to wait a day or two. Until then, I see that you have a space in the path.

Instead of using "Junk Bin" you might want to have a folder on your desktop called "bb_projects" and make sure any project folders in that folder have an underscore instead of a space since spaces can cause problems. Read this:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#trouble_defaultbasbin

5 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

I sent a PM to somebody who knows more about this stuff, but you might have to wait a day or two. Until then, I see that you have a space in the path.

Instead of using "Junk Bin" you might want to have a folder on your desktop called "bb_projects" and make sure any project folders in that folder have an underscore instead of a space since spaces can cause problems. Read this:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#trouble_defaultbasbin

Ok, thanks. In the past I've had people suggest to use standard text editors like Notepad ++ to solve the issue. However standard text editors don't have good formatting.

Edited by TazzyB

I've been summoned. :)

Assuming you've run the install.bat and there were no errors, the best thing we can do is to isolate if the issue is with bB or vbb.

1. Open a CMD prompt

2. in the CM prompt CD (change directory) to the location of your basic source file

3. Compile with bB by typing "2600bas.bat warheads.bas" 

4. If the above isn't successful, copy and paste all of the text into a post here.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RevEng said:

I've been summoned. :)

Assuming you've run the install.bat and there were no errors, the best thing we can do is to isolate if the issue is with bB or vbb.

1. Open a CMD prompt

2. in the CM prompt CD (change directory) to the location of your basic source file

3. Compile with bB by typing "2600bas.bat warheads.bas" 

4. If the above isn't successful, copy and paste all of the text into a post here.

First of all, which basic source file do you imply?

Second, where to I type "2600bas.bat warheads.bas" 

Based on information in your vbb screenshot, your source file is warheads.bas, and it is located in the C:\Users\budit\Desktop\Junk Bin\tinkernut_world\Tinkernut World directory.

After opening a command prompt, enter the following commands in the command prompt window:

cd C:\Users\budit\Desktop\"Junk Bin"\tinkernut_world\"Tinkernut World"

2600bas.bat warheads.bas

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Based on information in your vbb screenshot, your source file is warheads.bas, and it is located in the C:\Users\budit\Desktop\Junk Bin\tinkernut_world\Tinkernut World directory.

After opening a command prompt, enter the following commands in the command prompt window:

cd C:\Users\budit\Desktop\"Junk Bin"\tinkernut_world\"Tinkernut World"

2600bas.bat warheads.bas

It tells me "'2600bas.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."