IGNORED

Commodore 64 repair - one corrupted sprite

Picked up a C64 in a yard sale yesterday that boots up fine (yay!) but seems to have one of its sprites corrupted when playing a game.  Is replacing the VIC-II chip the way to go on this?  Or is their something else I should try first?  (For better or worse, I have two C64s that just boot to a black screen so they could be harvested for parts.)

D189F47A-1FD5-431F-B793-A7902705BA25.jpeg

0598C2F5-9616-4E91-9F59-27B4477DD9C4.jpeg

Still wasn’t out of the woods with this one... many keys weren’t working, and the picture, while fine with RF, was awful with a monitor.  Key problems were fixed with a disassembly and cleaning.  But I had no clue how to fix the monitor issue.  So I moved the working VIC-II to another motherboard.  That fixed the monitor issue, but now the sound was mostly missing and paddles didn’t work.  Swapped the Sid chip and finally all was well.  (Still need to try two untested 1541s... fingers crossed!)  

Update: One of the 1541's worked great after a head cleaning.  Playing a number of games now!  (Also got a huge pile of disks in this lot, and I'm finding that most of the original games work great, but most of the cracked copy disks do not.  Not especially surprising!)

• Like 1