Sknarp

score cycles and statusbar question

So I try not to ask questions I can find the answer to myself, but I'm really stumped on this one: How many cycles does the score use? More specificly, how many are saved by using noscore?
Also curious if I could get the statusbar from 6lives_statusbar without the "Lives" part? particularly if I could save cycles, since the lives part is actually not always useful. Even asm would be fine, I suppose I could try to butcher the 6lives one myself, but I'm not confident I'd be able to debug it if something went awry.
Less importantly, does using pfpixels actually save on rom space once the binary is compiled? (as compared to doing a full playfield: call for each new screen)
Thanks in advance for any insight. :)

I think the score takes 10 scanlines for setup and display, which would come out to 760 cycles. 

I could hack a statusbar-only minikernel if you like. It would take less cycles if I make the statusbar only a few scanlines in height. 

Perhaps I could make the scanline height configurable by setting a const to set the height. I'll post something in this topic for you to test. 

That would be awesome, and thank you for the info about noscore, I was hoping it took close to as many cycles as the lives mini kernel since it suggests disabling score when using it to free up cycles.

Here is my inelegant hack of the 6lives_statusbar minikernel to remove the lives portion.  I didn't make an attempt to reposition the bar to make use of the space where the lives were displayed.  I did add the ability to set the height of the statusbar, which affects how many cycles are used.  Set the STATUSLINES constant to the number of desired lines (will default to 3 of not specified).  Number of cycles used will be 76 + (STATUSLINES * 76).  Attached is the minikernel, and a "hello world" example that uses it (hit fire to lengthen the statusbar).  Let me know how this works for you.

statusbaronly.asm helloworld.bas