IGNORED

Multi-Game Machine - How do they Deal with Joysticks

Say you're building a 60-in-1

The games use a variety of Joystick configurations such as 8-way, 4-way, 2 way vertical and 2 way horizontal

If you install an 8-way joy stick does the game just not respond if you accidently go in a direction not needed for that game?

Or does it call problems.

An 8 way is not good for 4 way games.

It will try and hit 2 directions and just randomly pick 1.

However mame recently updated to try and sense correct direction on 4 way games with an 8 way controller.

It actually works pretty good. At least with my x arcade. Thats the only thing i have tried it with.

Before 4 way games were basucally unplayable with an 8 way in mame.

If your not using a newer mame though then this wont help whatever your doing with the stick.

I've always used Happs competition sticks which, I suppose, are eight way sticks with 4 switches. (UDLR) I've never had the problems people are often talking about. They work fine for PacMan type games and likewise for Robotron, Xevious etc. They have good travel and feel while making positive dual direction triggering when moved into the area between right and up for instance. Never an issue with two way control either. I have a four way ball top which I had in the machine for a while, but I didn't really detect much difference so I pulled it to put in a spinner. I've always hated finicky sticks, so I've been surprised to never be bothered by these for multiple game types. To each his own I guess.

Are you using a newer mame? If so thats probably why they work good.

On older mame and on real hardware 8 ways are horrible on 4 ways games if they dont have a gate. At least if you are good at the games you are not able to be nearly as good....which is very annoying.

I've never used Jamma.  Just various controls hooked into a PC.  I HAVE had 8 way sticks cause problems.  Usually you are right in the heat of it and trying to climb a ladder or turn a corner and your encoder can't figure out what to do with the accidental diagonal you just pressed.  I find that sometimes you will go in one direction or the other, but often you will just freeze in place.  I guess if you held it there long enough, you'd go in one direction or the other - just like when you press two keys on the keyboard at the same time.  With video games though, we all know you are dead before that kicks in.

5 hours ago, Boba Debt said:

It looks like I may have to build 2 different 60-in1 machines.

One with 4 way joy sticks and one with 8 way.

I'm building my 19-in-1 first so I guess I have a better understanding of this once that's done

Nope.  Cabinet builders have been using 4/8 way switchable joysticks for years.  I've always used the Sanwa JLW series on my past Mame arcade cab projects.  They have an adjustable restrictor plate at the bottom of the assembly.  Just reach under and turn the restrictor to change from 4 to 8 way.  I've had a set in my 1st Bartop I made in 2005.  Still going strong.  

Old project link .. if interested

But, there is also power driven restrictor versions, magnet driver switchable joysticks, top switchable, blah-di-blah.

As an example, I use to to go through Ultimarc BITD for my Mame stuff.  I haven't dabbled in years though, so don't know what other options are available.

Here's a link to the Ultimarc Joystick/Button store menu.  ..  HERE

• Like 2

In donkey kong for example, a diagonal direction will stop you completely.  Some people can actually exploit that to their advantage; something about influencing the barrels.  So using an 8-way joystick in donkey kong is actually considered cheating.  You can test this and any arcade game with mame on your computer using a regular 8-way dpad.

• Like 1

I have the room for at least 10 machines so I would rather have a couple dedicated 60-in-1 machines instead of trying to figure out which are 4-way and which are 8

You also have the added advantage of reduced menus.

Here is my list, if the 2 way games can be played with a restricted 4-way joy stick I would have one machine with 30/31 games and another with 8-9 games

60-in-1

JOY STICK

BUTTONS

DON’T CARE

WILL DELETE FROM MENU

KING & BALLOON

AMIRDAR

HUSTLER

SCRAMBLE

SHAO-LIN’S ROAD

VAN VAN CAR

CALAGE

CENTIPEDE

MILIPEDE

SUPER BREAK OUT

NEW RALLY X

ARKANOID

PINBALL ACTION

GUN SMOKE

SPACE INVADERS

FIRE

GALAGA

FIRE

GALAXIAN

FIRE

PHOENIX

FIRE / FORCE FIELDS

GYRUSS

FIRE

MOON CRESTA

FIRE

PLEIADS

FIRE

BURGER  TIME

PEPPER

MAPPY

DOOR

POOYAN

FIRE

JUNO FIRST

FIRE / WARP

TANK BATTAION

FIRE

DONKEY KONG

JUMP

DONKEY KONG JUNIOR

JUMP

DONKEY KONG 3

SPRAY

FROGGER

DIG DUG

PUMP

DIG DUG 2

PUMP / DRILL

PACMAN

MRS PACMAN

PACMAN PLUS

JR PACMAN

SUPER PACMAN

SUPER SPEED

MR DO

THROW

PENGO

LADY BUG

QIX

SLOW / FAST

SPACE PANIC

HOLING / CLOSING

MR DO’S CASTLE

2 BUTTONS ??

CRUSH ROLLER

JUMPING JACK

2 BUTTONS

GALAGA 3

FIRE

XEVIOUS

BLASTER / ZAPPER

ZAXXON

FIRE

TIME PILOT

FIRE

FIRE / LOOP

A / B

SUPER COBRA

GUNS / ROCKETS

CONGO BONGO

JUMP

BOMB JACK

JUMP

I’ve decided to build three dedicated 60-in-1 machines

I’m going to convert my Arcade1Up Centipede game into a Centipede/Millipede/ 8-way Joy Stick Game

Then I’ll convert a Arcade1Up Galaga Game into a 2-way Joy Stick Game

And I’ll use a Arcade1up Pacman Cabinet for the 4-way joy stick games

Does all of that sound like it will work?

I figured a 2-way would work well on a restricted 4-way joy stick but I like the idea of having all the space /shooter games on the Galaga cabinet and all of the Donkey Kong / Pac Man type games on another

I just hope that when you disable a game there isn't a blank spot where it was in the menu.

I would hate to have 12 games spread out over 10 menu pages.