IGNORED

Atari 800XL and RS-232?

Skullmeat

A homebuilt SIO2PC interface is RS232 - at least in the physical signal voltage sense.

In the day the likes of the 850 interface and cut down/cheaper 3rd party interfaces were the go.

Generally though where they suffer is in that they're usually constricted to the 19.2K used by stock SIO, there's no direct interface to the control lines and usually there's not a lot in the way of assisted FIFO.

But PCs had to push a byte at a time too IIRC, the hardware FIFOs I don't were common until the late 80s.

As to doing stuff like Telnet and even web browsing with old small computers - been done to a fair extent but generally it'll be way less capable even compared to late 90s browsing.

3 minutes ago, Rybags said:

A homebuilt SIO2PC interface is RS232 - at least in the physical signal voltage sense.

In the day the likes of the 850 interface and cut down/cheaper 3rd party interfaces were the go. 

Generally though where they suffer is in that they're usually constricted to the 19.2K used by stock SIO, there's no direct interface to the control lines and usually there's not a lot in the way of assisted FIFO. 

But PCs had to push a byte at a time too IIRC, the hardware FIFOs I don't were common until the late 80s.

As to doing stuff like Telnet and even web browsing with old small computers - been done to a fair extent but generally it'll be way less capable even compared to late 90s browsing.

I see. I do have an SIO2PC USB, but that wont work. I wondered if it were possible because almost all of my network equipment can be controlled via RS-232 (I even have a dumb terminal I have hooked up to various devices, such as my cisco router.) and I have this strange obsession with RS-232 at the moment.

It is something done already but might need a tweak, the cp/m terminal for indus cp/m, the terminal for atr 8000, and s-100 machines show how. Their are also the terminal that support vt types, as well as kermit terminals already for the Atari, use the serial method of your choice... be it P:R: connection, Atari 850, Black Box, MIO, Critical connection, sio2rs232, sio2usb, or R:verter serial port widgets... :)

There are other methods to get out there with the Atari, using serial to lan devices, and actual lan cartridges. I used the dragon cart with my Atari to control my linux based media server at one time to tell it to play my mp3's...

Like all retro computers, there are solutions, enough to get by, I suspect someone will eventually improve things though... getting by for 40 years is not exactly progress!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I have been meaning to get around to trying the Plato stuff that's been discussed recently and for a while, I keep forgetting to check it out. For now, with my RS232 SIO2PC and APE's R:handler on the PC, but I have a 1030 I'm going to refit for wi-fi.

I was thinking about direct connect via the stock 1030's phone line to my PC/router/wifi like I do with my Dreamcast, but at least the Dreamcast can do 56K speeds, 300 baud is a bit slow, even for Plato. Then my next thought was to fit an SX212 into my 1030's case (I want my XL system to match that's the only reason not to just use the SX212 as-is), but the wi-fi mod is a better idea.

I always meant to look into Contiki browser for the 8-bit too, but still haven't. I do have a CA-2001 Indus GT clone for CP/M and will see about connecting that way too at some point.

I'm on a list for one or both of the new "Dragon cart" solutions in the works, one still the cart and the other a PBI device. I may have only signed up for the cartridge one though, I don't recall. I could get both and use the cart version with my 800 or stock 1200XL and the PBI version with my PBI upgraded 1200XL.

Edited by Gunstar

5 hours ago, Skullmeat said:

I've been wondering if it were possible for the Atari 800XL to act as a serial terminal. Ive seen some folks connect one to their linux box and use it as a terminal that way, but iirc that was telnet. Has anyone attempted this?

Check this out:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Skullmeat said:

I've been wondering if it were possible for the Atari 800XL to act as a serial terminal. Ive seen some folks connect one to their linux box and use it as a terminal that way, but iirc that was telnet. Has anyone attempted this?

I don't think an 800XL is capable of telnet, because that implies a TCP/IP stack, and those have a large memory footprint. (well much larger than 64K anyway)

But it could definately be used as a serial terminal to a Linux system.

My friend an I did this in college in the early days of Linux with my ST,  but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with an 8-bit terminal program

Edited by zzip

cc65 with dragon cart

https://www.atari8ethernet.com/

telnet client

telnet server.

yes the TCPIP stack is handled by the Atari as well

or as stated a lantronix or other serial to lan server/console server with any of the serial devices that was mentioned, the stack and telnet are handled by the serial to lan console server.

I've been using both for years, and if you are quick with your typing or using macros you can do a multitude of things just with that, however you can also use doors to do irc etc. get the weather etc.

at one time you could browse a few web sites but that's fast coming to an end. You can serve web pages as well...

Edited by _The Doctor__

The question is, how would you connect the Atari to the serial input? SIO uses different logic levels than RS232, so you need at least a level converter. Then, there is the 850. There, the problem is that the 850 is not capable react or generate handshake signals reliable while performing serial I/O.

1 the handshake lines really are not necessary

2 if using a lantronix or similar telnet is handled by the device and you can use limited hardware handshake.

3 dragon carts etc are lan devices

4 the 850 will certainly block during disk I/O but you can use ramdisk and pio disks depending on your set up

5 you can use black box or mio and using len spenser drivers are helpful if you insist on hardware flow control

6 R:verters with block etc. have been working with rs232 devices forever, what new level issues now exists?

7 As stated this has been done and with no major issues.

some have used software handshake as well, I am not a fan of it, there is a chance of deadlocking a connection...

Edited by _The Doctor__

20 hours ago, Skullmeat said:

Yes, using a null modem cable and an RS232 interface device like the 850.  Works great!

Hey I have one of those too....with the manual here is my connection...………………….

I also have the manual for the Spartados Construction Kit , but no disks.... anyone have them ????

IMG_00000048.jpg

IMG_00000049.jpg

IMG_00000050.jpg

IMG_00000051.jpg

Edited by rcamp48
Update

9 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

Problem is I cannot get it to work, is the 9 pin to 25 pin cable standard or did ICD have custom cables for the P:R: Connection?

Or does the 10502PC adapter confuse it with a modem ??? Russ

ICD used the same pinouts as the 850, which are not the same as the PC serial port pinouts.

Atari existed like many others before they settled on 9 pin serial layouts, the 850 port 1, P:R: connect, MIO, and others all follow the Atari CX87(modem)/CX88(null-modem terminal) cord standards.

Edited by _The Doctor__

9 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

The cable I am using is an Atari cable DB9 to DB25

Make sure the modem DTE speed is set to 9600b or less and be sure your term program is set the same.  If the modem is at 28.8 the Atari and the modem will not communicate. Yes you can use a 28.8 modem on the Atari as long as DTE baud rate is set to a rate the Atari can use.

Edited by Sugarland

correct, 4800 to 9600 for the 850 and P:R: etc. / 19,200 for the MIO and Black Box etc.

most devices have a default mode of 9600 back in the day... good new is many had dip switches you could set to override the nvram setting and you could still get in when the wrong rates were selected.

don't forget sometimes you have to press EOL (Atari return key) a few time to get the modem to sync up and figure out the baud rate when set to auto-baud... stubborn devices may need a control m control j sent in that order twice.... when you see the modem respond with a carriage return/linefeed then you are ready to start typing AT commands...

OK , with the modem on the Atari 8 bit all I am getting on The Keep and Xanadu BBS's is CONNECT 2400/ARQ/LAPM/V42BIS , I hit return several times , nothing, it stays connected but I get nowhere , can anyone help?

Edit: I am now connecting and getting the BBS lines on my 8 bit Atari

but getting ansi chars....

Edited by rcamp48
Update