IGNORED

Amstrad GX4000 US power supply?

Hello all! I live in the U.S. and recently purchased an Amstrad GX 4000 and a GX4000 32in1 multicart.

I'm aware of the power issue that could damage the system when using a C4CPC flash cart. Is this still an issue with the 32in1? Also I have a LiteFuze 500 Watts Travel Voltage Converter converter for a UK Vectrex, which works fine. Can I use it with my Amstrad and the 32in1?

The Amstrad power supply info is as follows: Input 240V AC~50Hz. Output: 11-12V DC 600MA. Class II. Also, in the future I may also purchase a C4CPC flash cart. What power supply would work best with that cart and will not damage the system?

Any info provided would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much!

I went through the same questions awhile back and also have a C4CPC flash cart.  I bought a universal supply from Amazon that I could configure as needed.  I use a 9V supply with at least 750mA.  Here are a few notes I found from various people on forums:

Amstrad GX40009V 750mA is fine. Just make sure it has a 2.1mm inner pole so you cannot plug it to the 5V input by mistake (that will destroy the GX4000).

- use any regulated DC 9V to 12V 750mA (positive on center pin, GND on outer pin), powering the 11V entry. The 11V is used to power the 5V regulator and to drive the scart switching pin.

• Like 1

Awesome! Thank you for the quick response.

Also, do you know if the LiteFuze 500 Watts Travel Voltage Converter will work with the original UK power supply and the 32in1 multicart without damaging anything?

If it does not work with the 32in1, I would just use it with Burnin' Rubber, which came with the system. I believe it should work fine with the voltage converter, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Too bad the console requires centre positive polarity, it eliminates many otherwise possible power supply candidates like Genesis, Jaguar etc (which have negative polarity and must not be used).

As noted, any regulated DC power supply 9-12V with a capacity of at least 750 mA (but can be higher) should work with the right barrel and polarity. The original supply rated 11V DC @ 600 mA has a theoretical max effect of 6.6W, while a third party supply rated 9V DC @ 750 mA will deliver up to 6.75W. I understand there is a voltage regulator inside the console that will reduce the incoming voltage and that is why a slightly lower voltage works as well (and generates slightly less heat).

If you have a step-up converter (from 115V to 230V) with a capacity of 500W, it should be more than plenty. You mentioned the Vectrex, which surely draws more power than the GX4000 does even with the multicarts. However as mentioned DC is DC all around the world, you just need a power adapter capable enough, without going through the step-up.

• Like 1

I also bought an Amstrad GX 4000 and a 32-in-1 multicart a while ago online and read the issues about frying it with the original power brick so I haven't even taken it out of the box yet.  Someone did say they used a 12V DC power adapter with a certain mA rating and uploaded a picture of it on these forums without any problems. 

• Like 1

I don't really know, but I think "frying" rather means "brownout", that the original PSU was too weak for it to function with the C4CPC cart. Anything beefier likely is good. If the original is 11V 600 mA (6.6W) and it was said already 9V 750 mA (6.75W) is good, if you got a 9V 1A (9W) or even 12V 1A (12W) you should be more than fine.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hope someone is still active here! I'm also in USA, and I've read through many forums and gotten myself a 9V-1A center pin power adapter.  I will also have trouble with the video showing up, but first step is to tackle the power! When I plug in the adapter, I get a flickering light on the console. The light starts off constant for maybe 2 seconds before it starts to flicker. Anyone have any idea if this is a bad power adapter, bad power supply in the console, just the wrong power adapter, or something else?

Any help would be appreciated!

Note that from what I've read, power issues will fry the RAM chips, which, as bad of a design as it is, it a not so bad thing since they are very common RAM chip, unlike the specific gate array found in the CPC machines.

So a dead GX-4000 can be revived.

14 hours ago, str0m said:

You must plug the power into the GX4000 before turning it on at the wall/plug else it's common to fry them for some reason, earthing issue I believe, they put warning stickers on the boxes after a while, maybe that is your issue

So if I understand.. I have to first plug into the console end first, before plugging the adapter into the wall? And that doesn't matter with which type of adapter I'm using? What a horrible design.

I may also have fried it using the wrong port briefly while trying to get it to show on an NTSC TV.

And if I did fry it, I just need a new RAM chip?. 1) How can I diagnose if that's the only thing that fried? 2) Is it a simple replace, or is soldering needed?

I may have bit off more than I could chew trying to get this thing to play in the US :(

Yuck. Yeah I've been speaking to someone else who kind of confirms this. The thing is so damn sensitive!

I may end up just sending my Gx4000 away to someone who may want the parts and buying a new console in the future to give it a second try. I really want this piece of hardware to work properly in my collection, but doesn't seem like it's going to be in the cards for me here in the US.

Maybe you could consider getting the computer version? From what I can see at first glance, they are priced about the same, and the computers are more versatile than the console, in addition to being much more robust.

A 464Plus would allow you to play all the Amstrad "classic" tape library in addition to the carts games, and a 6128Plus give you access to the floppy drive, which you can easily swap for a GoTek and just completely bypass the floppies.

Note that the 6128Plus can't play tapes, lacking the tape input, but most/all games that exist on tapes have been ported on floppies or in useable Gotek images.

amstrad-6128-plus-2.jpg

If I could find that easily I would consider it. I'd bet that getting that here in the US will be near impossible / $100s worth of shipping. Probably shouldn't have barked up this tree since I'm in the US to begin with and Amstrad is all PAL/power converter issues will be abundant. I have this obsession with wanting the console working in my collection since it's so unique Lol

Power for Amstrad machines, as long as you don't want/need the monitor is not a big issue, they use power transformers with generic connectors (using reverse polarity for the GX4000).

A bigger obstacle for you is the use of RGB on all machines except the British GX4000 (AFAIK, French GX4000 only output RGB and luma (black and white).

There have been US Amstrad CPC but they are probably rare and most software will probably not run properly on it... and those Amstrad are older than the Plus line so not compatible.

Yes, for the RGB I think this thing will do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086GLY8VS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ACBNO73OEVAXC&psc=1

And just get any male-to-male SCART cable to connect from the Gx4000 to it. Correct? HDMI shouldn't have any issues with TV here in US

--

As far as the power, I probably already killed my GX4000. I may ship it off for repairs/get another one or something. I already have the Gx4000 box set/games/controllers so I don't want to give up on owning a properly functioning console.