Sign in to follow this  
Adriano Arcade

Joe Sousa Interview - Worked on LOADS of Jag Games!

Joe Sousa Interview - Worked on LOADS of Jag Games!

Joe Sousa has worked on a huge array of Jag games, including; Cybermorph, Zool 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Raiden, Kasumi Ninja, Iron Soldier, AVP, Doom...The list is almost endless! This chief game tester and designer spills the beans on working at Atari and the Jaguar. He also talks about his time working on the infamous NUON console on games such as Tempest 3000 and Iron Soldier 3. Please enjoy Arcade Attack's latest Atari based interview:

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/joe-sousa-atari/

• Like 9

The legend that is the Arcade Attack series of interviews just grows and grows.

Fantastic work yet again my friend. 

Your doing such fantastic work getting hold of people.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 7:14 AM, Lost Dragon said:

The legend that is the Arcade Attack series of interviews just grows and grows.

Fantastic work yet again my friend. 

Your doing such fantastic work getting hold of people.

Thanks again my friend! Really appreciate this feedback! Still a few more Jag related interviews in the can! ;)

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 8:11 PM, atarianallstar said:

Pretty nice interview. Love the fact that he wanted to make Raiden arcade perfect!

Unfortunately, it's not

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DEATH said:

Unfortunately, it's not

Personally never thought Imagitec Design were the team to deliver an Arcade Perfect conversion.

Whilst they had a history working with Atari and probably suited Atari's game development budget well, from what's been recovered internal documents wise, Atari themselves knew Imagitec were struggling to deliver games well before the Jaguar.

7800 Pitfighter and Toki showed the company struggling with both money and staffing issues.

Joe has worked for 2 very similar bosses in his time by the sounds of it.

Martin Hooley at Imagitec and Jim Gregory at Hand Made Software. 

Both happy to put full blame for titles not appearing or being poor on Atari rather than admit they paid staff poorly, late or at all in cases, causing key staff to leave the company.

Both happy to have teams create fake static screens and tech demos to show to the press and publishers, in order to get next milestone payment..

Joe one of the few  from Half Made Software as they were known internally,  to enjoy working on Kasumi Ninja and at least with Raiden he raised his concerns with Martin Hooley etc, but sadly they were ignored.

I'd of liked to known exactly which things could not be implemented and why in Jaguar Raiden. 

• Like 1

I recently made contact with Joe (such a pleasure to chat with) and had hoped to get a little more insight on his time on Raiden etc.

But passage of time has taken it's toll and he cannot add anything to what was already expressed in the superb Arcade Attack interview it seems.

• Like 1