IGNORED

Joe Sousa Interview - Worked on LOADS of Jag Games!

Adriano Arcade

Joe Sousa Interview - Worked on LOADS of Jag Games!

Joe Sousa has worked on a huge array of Jag games, including; Cybermorph, Zool 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Raiden, Kasumi Ninja, Iron Soldier, AVP, Doom...The list is almost endless! This chief game tester and designer spills the beans on working at Atari and the Jaguar. He also talks about his time working on the infamous NUON console on games such as Tempest 3000 and Iron Soldier 3. Please enjoy Arcade Attack's latest Atari based interview:

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/joe-sousa-atari/

• Like 9

On 7/10/2019 at 7:14 AM, Lost Dragon said:

The legend that is the Arcade Attack series of interviews just grows and grows.

Fantastic work yet again my friend. 

Your doing such fantastic work getting hold of people.

Thanks again my friend! Really appreciate this feedback! Still a few more Jag related interviews in the can! ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, DEATH said:

Unfortunately, it's not

Personally never thought Imagitec Design were the team to deliver an Arcade Perfect conversion.

Whilst they had a history working with Atari and probably suited Atari's game development budget well, from what's been recovered internal documents wise, Atari themselves knew Imagitec were struggling to deliver games well before the Jaguar.

7800 Pitfighter and Toki showed the company struggling with both money and staffing issues.

Joe has worked for 2 very similar bosses in his time by the sounds of it.

Martin Hooley at Imagitec and Jim Gregory at Hand Made Software. 

Both happy to put full blame for titles not appearing or being poor on Atari rather than admit they paid staff poorly, late or at all in cases, causing key staff to leave the company.

Both happy to have teams create fake static screens and tech demos to show to the press and publishers, in order to get next milestone payment..

Joe one of the few  from Half Made Software as they were known internally,  to enjoy working on Kasumi Ninja and at least with Raiden he raised his concerns with Martin Hooley etc, but sadly they were ignored.

I'd of liked to known exactly which things could not be implemented and why in Jaguar Raiden. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 3:39 AM, Lost Dragon said:

I recently made contact with Joe (such a pleasure to chat with) and had hoped to get a little more insight on his time on Raiden etc.

But passage of time has taken it's toll and he cannot add anything to what was already expressed in the superb Arcade Attack interview it seems.

A bit OT but I think I found the guy you were looking for who made the Quake on Jag 30% complete in magazine announcement

12 hours ago, JagChris said:

A bit OT but I think I found the guy you were looking for who made the Quake on Jag 30% complete in magazine announcement

Unless I am ready it wrong (very possible)  i am a little confused here.

I thought you had found the Journalist or staff writer who had written the Jaguar Preview feature for that awful UK games rag, Ultimate Future Games. 

They were over the top when it came to putting down Jaguar games at review,many scores suggested games were borderline unplayable, which was a nonsense. 

The magazines claims about Quake and Mortal Kombat 3 being X % complete were never backed up by any sources or concrete proof.

The entire magazine was bloody awful.

Think when it went under they sent me copies of Video Gamer Magazine (just as bad) until my subscription expired.

The UK had some of the worst reporting this side of EGM and DHGF Magazine on the otherside of the pond. 

Mega Drive Advanced Gaming stated the Sega Mega CD had no custom chips ,(it was just a dumb storage device) to assist with sprite scaling etc.

Try a second and 5Mhz faster 68000 CPU for starters..

IF Ultimate Future Games had spoken to John Carmack or Shawn Green they would of known all Jaguar Projects were on hold as Atari had failed to sell as many units of hardware or Wolfenstien 3D and Doom as expected and PC Quake being finished was the company focus.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

I'm not saying anything about what's possible and what isn't. I just thought I remembered you wondering who started that rumor about the Jag-Quake magazine article. My memory which may be mistaken was that the question of who-when was never resolved. I happened to stumble across that and went holy crap this might be it. 

20 hours ago, JagChris said:

I'm not saying anything about what's possible and what isn't. I just thought I remembered you wondering who started that rumor about the Jag-Quake magazine article. My memory which may be mistaken was that the question of who-when was never resolved. I happened to stumble across that and went holy crap this might be it. 

Ahhh.

I see.

No, i was well aware where the rumour had started as i was buying the rag at the time,I just wondered who was behind it,writer wise and why it was being used by some as concrete proof, when magazine claims are very unreliable so often and this one in particular wasn't even quoting Green or Carmack. 

I've used magazine scans as starting points myself over the years, tracking down Richard Barclay, Core Design highlighted how bad a source the press can be.

When he's telling them the screens for Tomb Raider are fakes and specific systems the game is planned for are still to be decided and they pass them off as in game and list formats such as the 3DO and Jaguar CD, you as a paying customer are onto a hiding for nothing.

Atari User was one of the worst..show report where writer swore blind he had played Adam Caveman on the Atari 8 bit..

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/adam-caveman/

Tracked him down a few years ago and asked for further information on that report (long shot he could remember that far back),  no response. 

Sometimes it's simple speculation by magazines that because a coder converted Game A to a system,it stands to reason they will convert Game B..

Sometimes Publishers lie to them

Sometimes they simply make it up.

On 11/27/2019 at 7:40 AM, JagChris said:

The marketing B.S for Ultimate (Future)  Gamer Magazines:

One video-game trade publication
describes itself as the games Bible [NEXT Generation/Edge].  Introducing the New
Testament.  Ultimate Gamer is aimed at you, the older, wiser, cooler game
player.  No more lame jokes, pathetic kidspeak or insane rumors.  Just
enjoyable, uncompromising, essential video and computer gaming facts."

Well :-)) aside from the Jaguar Quake and MKIII claims, they went onto claim the Jaguar CD was a single speed drive...

The  editorial ("Plugged In") claimed the  magazine was not written for industry insiders and developers, focusing on games that won't be out for years...

Utter fallacy.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JagChris said:

Can you find the screenshot or page scan of the Quake announcement?

Yeah almost all the mags were saying the JagCD was single speed. 

http://www.atarijaguar.co.uk/2013/10/jaguar-quake.html?m=1

There you go.

The single biggest load of nonsense the magazine printed.

Mortal Kombat III on Jaguar 89% complete, Quake 30% complete.

With Quake they admit they are basing their speculation on the EARLY PC screens that have started to appear, so Carmack etc still having a huge amount of work to do on that version. 

Nobody from the development team even spoken with, just pure speculation article.

Lazy paid for work.

Why couldn't they have simply reported what was being said?

"In all likelyhood, there will be no port of Quake to the theJaguar." Shawn Green (Project Manager)

We are not working on any more jag projects at the moment (Quake ist aking up all my time). We gave Atari a lot of our time and effort and we are now in a “wait and see” mode.

If they hit their sales projections, we will probably do something else late next year. Wea re probably going to license the jag DOOM code to some other companies though, so you might see a similar game before that.

John Carmack

Atari did not come anywhere near hitting sales projections, even after they revised them downwards..

Both Doom and Wolfenstien 3D sold far below expectations 

According to Atari documentation the Jag DOOM Engine was given to Imagitec Design, which ties in with Andrew Seed talking about it being planned to be used for Jaguar Freelancer 2120

It,along with the reports of Jaguar CD drive being single speed, a Jaguar CD unit "blowing up" (it simply stopped working), Atari looking at adding extra chips to Jaguar CD Drive to improve Jaguar texture-mapping and  one of the Tramiel family being at a press event here in the UK, when in fact he was on the other side of the Atlantic at the time, just reflect what passed for credible reporting at the time.

Edited by Lost Dragon

12 hours ago, JagChris said:

Can you find the screenshot or page scan of the Quake announcement?

Yeah almost all the mags were saying the JagCD was single speed. 

You might want to look through this thread:

http://retrosprite.proboards.com/thread/6?page=1

Ultimate Future Games and X Gen Jaguar cover.

It gives you an idea of just how absurd Jaguar reviews,let alone news had become.

Hoverstrike 18%

Super Burnout 31%

Ruiner Pinball 23%

Missile Command 3D 30%

Ultra Vortex 21% and 15% yet Dragon:Bruce Lee story pulled in 80%, Kasumi Ninja 38% and Double Dragon 5 23%

I am far from an U.V fan (i would of much preferred Beyond had cracked on with Jaguar Battlewheels)  But scores like those imply the game is borderline unplayable, which is a nonsense. 

It was an era when Future Publishing had the same Freelance writers doing same Jaguar reviews across multiple publications of theirs..

Cue The Rev Stuart and his open hatred for Defender 2000 and scoring it 3/10 in one magazine, 33% in another.

I would not be at all surprised to find Future used him for reviews in U.F G as well,looking at the above.

Edited by Lost Dragon

47 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Yeah battle wheels. Such a loss

Again there with Battlewheels, it's been a case of trying to pick through quotes and scattered bits of information others have found, to try and discover what really went on.

Someone acting on behalf of Unseen64 was told development only got as far as creating 3D models for the game and then it was canned. 

You can find Beyond sounding muddled about how best to do it and a lot depended on the size of the Jaguar user base,  availability of the Catbox and game might go the straight shooting route or have RPG elements or be more adventure based...they just didn't seem to know.

How they planned to bring Jaguar titles to the 3DO..including Battlewheels

But there is also talk from them that Atari simply weren't showing that much interest in having them bring Battlewheels to the Jaguar (Atari being described as non responsive to proposals ) yet it  was one of the titles on the back of the Jaguar box.

This might be down to low sales for the Lynx version,  Beyond putting those at around a mere 5,000 units.

Edited by Lost Dragon